Microsoft bought landscape shots from a relative noob for Vista's wallpaper....

Status
Not open for further replies.
It also depends on what, where and when you point your camera at.

Not sure I'd call him a noob, his photos are pretty good!
I'd say.. Less experienced perhaps.

Perhaps people have different learning curves.

i dont think he's a noob. perhaps just a fast and talented learner! the fact that he knows how to utilise his equipment wisely just shows that he has a good udnerstanding of how his lenses, cameras and filters work together in tandem to produce photos

of course u need to have nice landscapes too.

His images are :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Contrary to most members' thinking here, good Landscape images do not come from the best CAMs or the most expensive LENS .... but mostly from the correct use of Filters (not necessary the most expensive ones) and of course PS skills ....

Contrary to most members' thinking here, good Landscape images do not come from the best CAMs or the most expensive LENS .... but mostly from the correct use of Filters (not necessary the most expensive ones) and of course PS skills ....

Even if you have that skill, but you don't have a vision of what you want to capture, you would also be capturing crap in the end as well.

Even if you have that skill, but you don't have a vision of what you want to capture, you would also be capturing crap in the end as well.
Needless to say, the x-factor is the main deciding ingredient in being the BEST .... :think:

I feel that in this digital world, PS skill is among the deciding edge in the final presentation .... and in this case, it favours the young generations of the future.

His images are :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

er.. i'm not so sure the correct use of filters make or break landscape shots...

equipment matters if you're gonna print a 36"x24" and hang on ur wall. if u're gonna put it on a vista desktop, then perhaps equipment doesn't matter as much.

then again, my previous 30" display goes up to 2560x1600.. that's like 4mp!! ;p

I also think it sounded quite odd to say that the use of filters determined the quality of landscape shots.

I think the vision, timing and a bit of luck are probably more important.. filter effect can be manipulated in ps nowsaday. :)

I also think it sounded quite odd to say that the use of filters determined the quality of landscape shots.

I think the vision, timing and a bit of luck are probably more important.. filter effect can be manipulated in ps nowsaday. :)

Both points are actually true. Good photos naturally come from a combination of many variables as mentioned, but filters do help a lot. Circular polarizers and ND grads are tremendous aids in photography.

without taking away any thunder and shine from the photographer here are my observations:

1. i wonder if any one noticed the fact that he shot 6000 raw images. getting 30 good images out of those is not exactly difficult if the photographer knows even a little.

2. Experience in photography does not come from shooting only. it comes from observation. if his dad was an enthusiast (as i gather from interview), that would have affected his vision towards photography too.

3. equipment does matter in extracting that extra juice from the scene. 20d is not exactly a p&s by any measure is it? and having a couple of lenses from wideangle to telephoto certainly helps a bit.

4. and finally, location does matter when you are looking for landscape scenes. what i would more interested in seeing is the winner for the singapore vista competition (not sure if its declared already). that will show the real creativity (i hope).

nevertheless, the most important things in photography is imagination, vision and patience. and i guess he has all three.

thanks.

i personally feel that his photos are very nice...

of course u need to have nice landscapes too.

sort of agree on that. in places like the northern USA, the sceneries there are just simply too hard to show up badly on photographs. yellowstone, smokey mountains, the only extra thing you need is a polariser.

we shld submit more photos right? then one day MS will use Singapore landscape as Windows wallpaper all over the world, isn't it cool? :thumbsup:

we shld submit more photos right? then one day MS will use Singapore landscape as Windows wallpaper all over the world, isn't it cool? :thumbsup:

you wait long long ah! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

that's what it was said for microsoft's photo vista competition just a while ago... :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.