Micro Lens for D80

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasabi8888

Oct 22, 2006
Hi all

What Micro lens would you recommend if the main objective is fish photography? I also intend to take close-ups of still life and insects, though it's not the main priority.

I am only interested in Nikkor lenses.

Looking at the threads, the below 2 would probably be the main options available, right?

1. AF Micro 60mm f/2.8D
2. AF-S Micro 105 f/2.8 VR

For the 105 VR, is the VR really effective? I am trying to avoid the use of tripods.

Currently, just started with D80 and 18-200mm VR.

i am using 2. AF-S Micro 105 f/2.8 VR

cwtan also using 2. AF-S Micro 105 f/2.8 VR

and we both are also into fish photography

[i know the top is a little burnt]

DSC_2680.jpg

i am using 2. AF-S Micro 105 f/2.8 VR

cwtan also using 2. AF-S Micro 105 f/2.8 VR

and we both are also into fish photography

[i know the top is a little burnt]

DSC_2680.jpg

Very nice:lovegrin: :bigeyes:

Nice pictures....

read from somewhere that the 105VR is not that good.. i think it's Ken Rockwell's (dunno whether i got the name rite) review..

Nice pictures....

read from somewhere that the 105VR is not that good.. i think it's Ken Rockwell's (dunno whether i got the name rite) review..

Always take KRW's reviews with a pinch of salt...

lovely pacu!

nice pic.

go with the 105mm, u need some distance from the tank.

as for the tripod, well it's better using it.

nice pic.

go with the 105mm, u need some distance from the tank.

as for the tripod, well it's better using it.

If I use a tripod, wont the VR be rendered useless? then when do I use the VR? on still outdoor macro shots?

yesh, the VR is not necessary with tripod.

with fish photography, there are more things to consider, such as the glass reflection, distance from tank to cam, types of fish, adequate lighting, background... etc. one of the key factor is that if u gonna put the cam right up to the tank, the fishes gonna run away. so vr or not, no point if u got nothing to shoot. u need to shoot from a distance, say a meter or more. try this, mount the cam on a tripod, then shoot with a remote. ur fish would not be jumpy and u get better shots.

for outdoor macro shots, the VR does help quite a bit. i had the 105mm vr one but sold it. too heavy to use for macro shots esp when manual focusing. the vr helps a lot, but not with excessive movement.. opinions will vary on this i guess. would still prefer to mount the cam to do macro.

Hi all

What Micro lens would you recommend if the main objective is fish photography? I also intend to take close-ups of still life and insects, though it's not the main priority.

I am only interested in Nikkor lenses.

Looking at the threads, the below 2 would probably be the main options available, right?

1. AF Micro 60mm f/2.8D
2. AF-S Micro 105 f/2.8 VR

For the 105 VR, is the VR really effective? I am trying to avoid the use of tripods.

Currently, just started with D80 and 18-200mm VR.

If it's fish, I would recommend the PC-Micro 85/2.8. You can shift to eliminate the reflection from the glass.

huh? u can use the pc for that?

hmmm exp piece of glass eh.

Use the 60mm micro. It is better for larger fish, if space from lens to tank is limited.

i am also looking for a micro lens. 60mm and 105mm, the price difference is huge. comparing these 2 lens, which is a better one for close up?

i am also looking for a micro lens. 60mm and 105mm, the price difference is huge. comparing these 2 lens, which is a better one for close up?

The main consideration is the working distance here. If you need a longer working distance, you should go for the lens with longer focal length. With the 60mm, you will be very close to your subject as compared with the 105mm.

BC

Both 60 and 105 are equally good for macro work. Depends on subject. If you do much indoor work, a 60 would be more suitable. If you plan for outdoor shooting, a 105 would be more suitable. with the 105 for indoor shooting, be prepared for fish potrait shots. Also for 60mm close up, it tends to cut out more of the reflection of glass from the flash due to the closer focussing distance.

The main consideration is the working distance here. If you need a longer working distance, you should go for the lens with longer focal length. With the 60mm, you will be very close to your subject as compared with the 105mm.

BC

Yup. You'll be getting 1:1 magnification at the closest focusing distance with both lense. It's just a matter of the working distance that you're more comfortable with.

Hi all

Would I need an extension tube or close-up filter if i use the 105VR? i want to take close ups of fishes... those fishes are rather small e.g tetras etc

nope. u dun need.

eee actually come to think of it, why dun u stick to using ur kit lens?
it works well.

for tetras, i suggest u go really really near the glass, stick ur lens by the tank.

nope. u dun need.

eee actually come to think of it, why dun u stick to using ur kit lens?
it works well.

for tetras, i suggest u go really really near the glass, stick ur lens by the tank.

dun have kit lens.. gave that up and bought the 18-200mm VR lens instead..

Status
Not open for further replies.