Micro 4/3 Camera owners: Enter!!

mexican88

May 4, 2009
Singapore
Saw a spec of dust on the sensor, decided to get a micro fibre to wipe it off. But there are some other smudges on the sensor itself. Should I try wiping it off or should I just send it to the service centre to have it cleaned?

Also, I a bit hand itchy, decided to switch on the camera while there is no lens, and even decided to take a few shots without the lens. Although as of right now, my camera is still working fine, would there be any negative effect of what I just did? Promise never to do it ever again though~~

(btw I'm using the Olympus Pen E-Pl2)

Saw a spec of dust on the sensor, decided to get a micro fibre to wipe it off. But there are some other smudges on the sensor itself. Should I try wiping it off or should I just send it to the service centre to have it cleaned?

Also, I a bit hand itchy, decided to switch on the camera while there is no lens, and even decided to take a few shots without the lens. Although as of right now, my camera is still working fine, would there be any negative effect of what I just did? Promise never to do it ever again though~~

(btw I'm using the Olympus Pen E-Pl2)

You used a microfibre cloth on your sensor?! Wow, you are a very brave guy!! If you do not know how to clean the sensor, at least google on it before doing anything. Best you send it to the service center for cleaning now

Oh man, I screwed up? Anyway, the camera is about 2 months old... Still under warranty... Will it be free? If not typically how much will it cost?

Oh man, I screwed up? Anyway, the camera is about 2 months old... Still under warranty... Will it be free? If not typically how much will it cost?

If you are not too rough on the sensor I guess it should be ok, take a few pics to check. Its generally a bad idea to just wipe it with a microfibre cloth for fear of scratching the sensor. You can search for the proper cleaning method online.

Not sure about olympus service center but if the rates are similar to other service centers, the cleaning should cost around $25-$30

Damages due to your cleaning attempts are not covered under any warranty. Warranty is an assurance by the manufacturer that the camera will not fail due to material and production faults. User errors and mishandling of all kinds is never covered. You fail to even read your manual where the sensor cleaning is described. If you need a protection or somebody to pay for your clumsiness and other misfortunes you better buy things from Courts, H&N and the likes, they offer insurance packages.

Also, don't you think your commanding tone in the subject line is quite rude? Furthermore, this thread should be in the 4/3s forum section.

Also, don't you think your commanding tone in the subject line is quite rude? Furthermore, this thread should be in the 4/3s forum section.

Actually, I think the content is fitting for Newbie/Tech thread, but the title isn't. I guess, since we can't edit titles, have to move. lol

@TS: As everyone said, better send it to the SC already to see if anything bad happened. Hopefully not, and try not to do it again.