MH-C401FS problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymrat76

May 10, 2004
I put 2 new Sanyo 2300mAh batteries into the (also) new Maha charger last night before bed and put it to the SLOW charge To my surprise, when I woke up this morning, the charge lights were still red! The SLOW charge is supposed to take approx 5 hours, but its already been 7+ hours!

Is this supposed to happen?? Am not sure if because its a higher capacity battery, or a new one, or do I just have adefective charger? Anyway, have left it running, and will come back at lunch to check.. if still red, then back to Eastgear it goes :what:

Hey Gymrat76,

The manual or specs sheet for the charger should say something like "approx. 5 hrs charging for xxxx mAh batteries." If xxxx is less than your 2300mAh, then it will take longer than 5 hrs to charge your 2300mAh batteries.

Edit: Or it might specify a charge rate for the slow charge for example, if it has a charge rate of 400mAh, it will take about 5hr 45mins to charge a 2300mAh battery.

Thanks dude,

It says 300mA for slow charge, but not 300mA/hr at the Maha website.

Anyway, based on what you said, it should take 7.6 hours to charge up the 2300mAh batts, so should be done by lunchtime.. (nice to have the trickle charge function!).

Cheers
GYR

Gymrat76, is it because when you put your batteries into the charger, they still had some juice in them?

for slow charging, the first process is to disharge the remaining charges, then start charging. the more remaining power you have in your batteries when u put them for slow charge, the longer will be your discharging cycle before recharging.

the people who sold me my charger explained these concepts nicely to me, even though i already knew.

No, I don't think so as these are brand new batteries just out of the pack. Anyway, NiMH batteries aren't supposed to have memory effect, so there's no discharging prior to recharging on the Maha chargers

frcfyp said:
Gymrat76, is it because when you put your batteries into the charger, they still had some juice in them?

for slow charging, the first process is to disharge the remaining charges, then start charging. the more remaining power you have in your batteries when u put them for slow charge, the longer will be your discharging cycle before recharging.

the people who sold me my charger explained these concepts nicely to me, even though i already knew.
Maha's pulse charging eliminates the need for discharging as I understand.

Went back for lunch and found that the battery was done charging :thumbsup: Looks like it does take longer than the stated 2 hours (fast) and 5 hours (slow) to charge up the 2300mAh batteries

my fresh 2300mAh sanyos took noticeably longer than 7 hours to charge up the first time around. subsequent charge cycles performed within spec though.

Thanks Varf nice to know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.