MF while in AF mode - Bad for lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0eln0el

Nov 4, 2007
Hi guys

Just got my first piece of lens yesterday.. somewhat did a mistake by trying to manual focus while the switch is still at AF. Only realized my mistake after i twisted a bit of the focusing ring.
Question is will this have a bad effect for my lens?

Thanks

Hi guys

Just got my first piece of lens yesterday.. somewhat did a mistake by trying to manual focus while the switch is still at AF. Only realized my mistake after i twisted a bit of the focusing ring.

Thanks

if you feel tension and you twist it, then you are damaging the gears.

some of the lens from canon and nikon (not sure about other brands) let you do that.

but iirc, for canon's full time manual aka FTM, you can do that only after the lens had stop its auto focusing.

i think nikon's (dont know what is the function call) allows you to override the lens af even while it is working.

pls correct me if i am wrong.

some of the lens from canon and nikon (not sure about other brands) let you do that.

but iirc, for canon's full time manual aka FTM, you can do that only after the lens had stop its auto focusing.

i think nikon's (dont know what is the function call) allows you to override the lens af even while it is working.

pls correct me if i am wrong.

Yes, some AF-S lenses have a A/M - M switch. During AF operation, you can override the AF by just turning the MF ring. But there are reports that doing that might shorten the lifespan of the SWM though.. ;p

its a tamron 17-50mm
the power isnt on when i twisted it

any ways to test that its fine?

its a tamron 17-50mm
the power isnt on when i twisted it

any ways to test that its fine?

What mount is it? If Nikon mount, even if the power is not on and the AF is not disengaged, you may stress the gears that couple to the AF motor on the body.

hi
its canon mount

? i do not understand this question.

in any case, if there is resistance and you forcefully twist it, whatever it is it is going to be bad, no? isn't it a little bit of common sense - i.e. if you were supposed to be able to twist it then you'd have thought that having paid hundreds of dollars for the product the product designers would not have bungled up so.

just don't do it again.

sorry about that :(
i also feel heart pain
its the first time i ever touched a lens and a AF/MF switch didnt come into my mind
is there any way to verify that the lens is fine?

sorry about that :(
i also feel heart pain
its the first time i ever touched a lens and a AF/MF switch didnt come into my mind
is there any way to verify that the lens is fine?

Take some shots. :)

hi
its canon mount

For Canon mount, the motor is internal. Again, the motor may be engaged when at AF mode, so like what night86mare mentioned, if you accidentally turn it, it should not be too much of a problem but just make sure you don't repeatedly do it because it's not meant to be operated that way.

Just let it AF and take a few shots to check on the focus. Should not be too much of a problem.

i think there are some 3rd party lens with FTM. check the spec. before buying/using lor.

The Nikkor lenses that have the AF switch settings labelled as M-M/A allow you to tweak the auto-focus manually even when it is set to Auto focus. The ones labelled M-A will be damaged if you adjust manual focus during auto focus.

Hi guys

Thanks

Use the lens as usual, if the result is okay, most likely you have not done any damage to the lens and cam...

Don't worry, many people done that accidentally, including me... but so far no problem leh...

thanks guys for the advices

Status
Not open for further replies.