MF user are dying ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackmusic

Deregistered
Jan 26, 2006
why do so many MF user still prefer to use MF lens on even DSLR?

AF wld be better.

:what:

blackmusic said:

AF wld be better.

AF would offer convenience..... but then MF have f1.2 lens.... Better is relative.... it your preference that ultimately decides what you use....

what's so hard about turning a little ring around a lens? :dunno:

blackmusic said:

AF wld be better.

Depend on what shooting condition, AF not necessary better than MF all the time.

patch17 said:
what's so hard about turning a little ring around a lens? :dunno:

the hard part is that some people dun even know which ring to turn/whats the ring for... :bsmilie:

Maybe the feel of it... sense of... ultimate control!

Just like having to shift your own gears in a non-Auto automobile.

blackmusic said:

AF wld be better.

MF gives you a statisfaction that AF cannot.

It is like cooking - buying the cake from the store is totally different from making it yourself. When you make it yourself, you can decide how sweet the product you want it to be.

AF is good when you are traveling because there is a time constraint. But seriously speaking and from my experience, I feel there is a sense of "worthless" in my photos. I feel my photos are like produced "in bulk" whereas when I use my FM2, I had a different feeling.

Just my 2 baht worth.

Cheers,
-Michelle- :)

I believe that people who felt AF that is king, have never taken a whole series of purposely blurred pictures before. Try doing that sometimes, and it will give you a different kind of perspective of what blurred photographs could actually achieve, when the ultra-sharp photos can't.

The_Cheat said:
I believe that people who felt AF that is king, have never taken a whole series of purposely blurred pictures before. Try doing that sometimes, and it will give you a different kind of perspective of what blurred photographs could actually achieve, when the ultra-sharp photos can't.
an ultra-sharp can be blurred in ps, blurred cant become ultra-sharp.

af is fast and usually accurate, its not hard to turn tt focusing ring, but to turn it accurately is a different thing.

most dslr now dont come with split-img focusing screens and the view finders r generally smaller and darker thn manual film bodies, making it harder to mf.

apart from the [blurred pics hav gd perspective] thing, wat other benefits does mf have over af? af has become so good now tt it can focus in near pitch black conditions.

i wont want to risk my pics being out of focus for this [satisfication]:thumbsd:

idor said:
AF would offer convenience..... but then MF have f1.2 lens.... Better is relative.... it your preference that ultimately decides what you use....
I think this is a more valid reason. :thumbsup:

If I want to intentionally blur the image for some reason or another, I can always switch to MF if I were using an AF lens. My first AF lens is the Micro-Nikkor 60/2.8. I did not even have an AF body then. :)

af good for sports or moving models
mf good for shots where you can take your time and focus is critical
like super macro or super wide landscapes (set infinity focus)
both got their uses. know when and how to use mf and af.

No auto focus, no picture taking for me, just imagine having to change glasses just to focus. Auto focus is by far the most ground breaking of all the technologies built into a typical DSLR.

Haha ... I came home last nite and my dad was taking pics of my nephew using the FM2. He passed it to me asking to take a pic of them together ..... and I fumbled :sweat: I think technology and electronic has pampered us too much ....

actually, good to practice MF just to be on the safe side...recently, on a trip to Bird Park, my camera's AF got dazzled by some parrot's feathers or something :confused: , refused to AF properly on some species, and the best (read: sharpest) shots I got were when I shot with MF :)

some people use MF lenses because it gives them more satisfaction of making a picture.

but to use MF on DSLR I think its a little redundant, because the viewfinder is so small its hard to see whether its sharp or not.

MF lenses are best suited for MF bodies, with their huge viewfinder and split screen focus. Like that then shiok.

my 2 cents

er...I shoot with an Oly E10...anyone seen that VF before... ;)

This thread is so funny that I can't belive this is happening. People were debating this issue way back in the late 80s to the early 90s. But back then the question was "Is AF a bad thing?".Things discussed back then was like what the few points that being brought up here. It so back to the past thing. For example thing I heard back then are: "Are you a good photographer if you dun do your own focusing?" "Oh how AF save the eye sight failing older photog, now they able to get sharp picture" to " Dun let the camera take over your creative process one AF is the first step". My view is AF is a tool, it is just there for you to use it and surprisely alot of photographer dun know how to use their AF properly. MF will still work for a lot of people who want control. Some great lenes and camera systems is still MF, so unlike film MF will stay for a while;)

singscott said:
My view is AF is a tool, it is just there for you to use it
:thumbsup:

my point above is that its good to keep in practice all you skills, be it AF or MF... there will be times when even the best AFs will be fooled and it will come in handy :)

blackmusic said:

A lot of affordable modern lenses are flimsy plastic constructs. Older MF lenses are frequently inexpensive (especially when comparing primes) and well built.

I THINK AF LENS is better than MF lens in tems of convenience, prices and weight.

long :cool: live AF lens!

Status
Not open for further replies.