I too had no problem using Metz 40 MZ3i with Olympus shoe on 5050.
However, very inconsistent with E-10, and often don't even light up on E-300! Checked with Cathay Photo and was advised that both the flash and the shoe don't support the E-series in most modes except Manual. Aperture priority on flash needs Manual settings on camera.
Olympus FL-40 which is dedicated for E-10 and E-20 also doesn't work well with E-1 or E-300. At the moment, only FL-36 and FL-50 are fully compatible with the four-third series. They are, strangely, backward compatible with other Olympus digital cameras.
Got this from internet last night
Metz flash guns need to use SCA 3202 adapter (~$A100) and either:
* on camera flash if flash unit permits (eg. 32 MZ-3, 44 MZ-2, 50 MZ-5, 54 MZ-3), or
* connection cable SCA3000C (~$A100)
* NB. newer versions of the 3202 adapter numbered M1,2,3 ,4 are backwardly compatible, but you need at least the M3 for the Olympus E-1 and the M4 for the E-300. You do not need to buy the new adapter if you already own an older version of the SCA3202. Metz, will re-flash the adapter with the new code at no charge.
* 44MZ-2 on hotshoe still allows inbuilt flash use as well.
* if using a Metz unit like the 32MZ-3, it may work using directly mounted on hotshoe, but Metz insist it should be mounted on an Olympus flash bracket FL-BK01 and connected to the camera hotshoe via the Olympus synch cable FL-CB01 - maybe Metz not realise it has a hotshoe?
* Metz comments regarding its 34 CS-2 slave flash Oct 2004:
o unfortunately, a mecablitz "34 CS-2" (without the supplement "digital") can not be used with a C8080 because it is still not able to ignore the pre-flashes coming from the camera's flash. This is only possible with the later model "34 CS-2 digital" which can be synchronized at the right time. Also a NEW 28 CS-2 digital can be used as well wireless triggered
from the camera. In this case only auto flash mode with manual settings is possible. Unfortunately, the reflector of a 34 or 28 can not be tilt or swiveled for bounce flash. Therefore we recommend to use either a 44 MZ-2, 54 MZ-4 etc with adapter SCA3202 supporting all flash features of camera plus bounce flash plus wireless triggering flash (by switch SL on the rear of adapter SCA3202)
* Metz also sell a digital slave trigger SCA-3083 which allows light-triggered wireless TTL control of other compatible Metz units such as the 54MZ-3, 70MZ-5, 70MZ-4.