Metz 54 Mz3/4 SCA 3102 AND 20D

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkw

Dec 10, 2003
CCK
Visit site
Greetings,
calling all Metz 54 users, I've just had a vexing conversation with a tech from Jebsen and Jebsen regarding the firmware fix for the SCA 3102. Basically got a fob-off, apparently had requested the M3 software from the parent company but had not received it yet ;(. If you can spare the time please give them a call and bug them about it till they DO SOMETHING PROACTIVE.

Call Mr. Wong of the service department, Tel 62651221

Hello,
The upgrade for the SCA 3102 is not a firmware/software upgrade, but an actual hardware upgrade - the actual hotshoe/flash adapter, which slides off the 54 MZ when the red button in the battery housing is pushed. The side of your adapter will either have an M or M2 (lower left), and the newer cameras (20D, 1D Mk II) will need the new M3. Now here's the confusing part: Metz has not yet changed the actual silkscreening on these, so they are simply placing an "M3" sticker between the contact pins on units that are labeled as M2 on the side, so make sure to look for the sticker. You have two options: either go out and buy the new shoe/adapter, or send your old one to the distributor and they will do the rewiring modification (most likely for free).

Wow, you revived a really old thread. According to what I have read on DPreview, and in several communications with a Metz technical rep in Germany, the M2 to M3 upgrade IS a firmware upgrade. In fact, I've had the upgrade done already. If you ask me if I can see any difference in performance, the answer is no, as I've only used the Metz flash once in M2 mode on the 20D before upgrading. The local agent is apparently charging folk to get the upgrade done, so I'd be very surprised if Metz and the local agent were putting us on about this.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.