Metz 48 AF-1 vs Pentax AF-360FGZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

longko

Sep 7, 2006
Balestier
After lots of thinking, I finally broke down and got the Metz 48 AF-1. It arrived today, and I'm pleased with the build^^ It can swirl, has wireless, P-TTL HSS and EV is able to +3 unlike Pentax +1.

These shots are taken with K10D + Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 with ceiling bounce (abt 13 feet)

af360fgz.jpg

metz48af1.jpg

After lots of thinking, I finally broke down and got the Metz 48 AF-1. It arrived today, and I'm pleased with the build^^ It can swirl, has wireless, P-TTL HSS and EV is able to +3 unlike Pentax +1.

These shots are taken with K10D + Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 with ceiling bounce (abt 13 feet)

metz48af1.jpg

af360fgz.jpg

Cool Metz 48AF-1 u got....:bigeyes:

May I know how much u paid and where u got? I thought of getting metz 58AF-1 which is better and latest model? ;p

Cool Metz 48AF-1 u got....:bigeyes:

May I know how much u paid and where u got? I thought of getting metz 58AF-1 which is better and latest model? ;p

I paid abt SG$395 (paypal) with shipping. 58AF-1 is like 540FGZ to 360FGZ. It has twin flash. The only reason I didn't get that is because ebay dun have it and 48AF-1 I dun need pay GST :bsmilie: Do note u'll be taking a risk as no local warranty coverage. It's always good to get flash with warranty, like my AF-540FGZ broke down after 1 year >.< Will need send to Kevin for inspection later.:(

Does it work on wireless??

Correct me if I am wrong as your pics look under.

I understand when using bounce, the flash should set to A "Auto" not TTL. When the ceiling is too high, the reflector should be used instead of direct bounce.

Yes it does wireless. I even tested 1/500s and it works meaning P-TTL HSS is present. But there'll be no manual flash, unlike 360FGZ or 540FGZ. Also no slave 2, only P-TTL slave.

Correct me if I am wrong as your pics look under.

I understand when using bounce, the flash should set to A "Auto" not TTL. When the ceiling is too high, the reflector should be used instead of direct bounce.

The underexpose P-TTL is what turn some Pentax bro doing event away from Pentax. The A mode in AF-540FGZ or AF-360FGZ meaning manual where u set ur own aperature and ISO. It is said K2x series the ceiling bounce for P-TTL has improvement. By right P-TTL should work even on ceiling bounce, if u dun believe me, set ISO 100, f2.8, 1/180s, P-TTL EV+1 on a 13 feet ceiling. U should get an acceptable exposure. Or use a FA 50mm f1.4 set to f2.0. ISO 100, 1/180s, P-TTL EV+0 on a 10-12 feet ceiling, u'll get a good exposure too.

Hehe, think I overworked my AF-540FGZ with 8+k flashes (I think is normal but Kevin seems surprise), kenna another isolated case. 1st was the noise on K10D at low ISO, end up it went Japan 2months. Now AF-540FGZ everything seems fine, but just dun charged up.. wonder how long it'll take again...:(

Edit: BTW for anyone interested to know, Metz 48 AF-1 is made in Germany. I think Metz 58 AF-1 is also made in Germany.

Edit 2: IIRC Metz 58 AF-1 also have A mode and directly read from the camera the Aperture and ISO, so there's no need to manually input.

Reasonable price of $395 for Metz 48 AF-1 including shipping u got. :thumbsup:

Disappointed that Metz 58AF-1 already selling here last few months ago are only for Canon and Nikon. I do not see any model available for Pentax. :(

From I saw CS thread recently, it mentioned that Tithes service centre is closing down by end of this month :bsmilie: here

It is not known who will be next agent to take over from Tithes but hopefully one day Shirio may be next one because Shirio was agent for Pentax imports so it can import Metz 48AF-1 or 58AF-1 for Pentax and we can have good advantage for local warranty here. Let's hope for miracle.....:D

Ya I'll love to get the 58 AF-1 if it ever gets support in Singapore^^ Current price for it is abt US$430 with shipping... If it's abt the price C and N are getting abt $600-650, it should be worthwhile^^

Ya I'll love to get the 58 AF-1 if it ever gets support in Singapore^^ Current price for it is abt US$430 with shipping... If it's abt the price C and N are getting abt $600-650, it should be worthwhile^^

I second. ;) Let's hope our prayers will be answered soon. :D

I believe the local rebrand version of Sakar (Digital concept) 952AF/PEN, it's only $88. Though the site did not mention of K10D compatibility, but it stated K100D^^
http://swisscophoto.com.sg/flash.htm
http://swisscophoto.com.sg/offer.htm

I'll be going down to get the Camelion 2100mAh batts (similar to eneloop), and maybe the DS20 2 slave flash to make macro twin light bracket^^ Anyone interested? My planning for the prototype is almost complete. Think everything should be below $100 if the slave flashes can be trigger well with p-ttl.

Hope they'll let me test the Lexus SB-3000 with K10D. If there's P-TTL, maybe this will be a good option for those with tight budget.

Edit: For those who are clueless of the specs of 952AF/PEN, here's the specs
http://cgi.ebay.com/P-TTL-Bounce-LC...ryZ48515QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Based on specs it's more powerful than the AF-360FGZ and can tilt and swirl. However, no HSS and P-TTL salve. It can do wireless with optical trigger (meaning ur trigger flash must not have preflash, normally in A or M mode.)

the lexus looks good for $88.. do test it and tell us ah.. pray got P-TTL... i use manual flash quite ma fan ah.. haha... might consider this sia..

Thanks longko for the heads up...

I agree that the $88 model seems *VERY* good for its price/functions (normally < $100 flashes are fully manual ?)

In fact, prior to this thread, I only knew that Sigma / Pentax have P-TTL.

cheers

Thanks longko for the heads up...

I agree that the $88 model seems *VERY* good for its price/functions (normally < $100 flashes are fully manual ?)

In fact, prior to this thread, I only knew that Sigma / Pentax have P-TTL.

cheers

U're welcome. I thought with the increase of strobist these info might be useful to some and especially those on budget. Not every willing to spend $600+ or $300+ on a flash^^;

The reason why i'm interested in this flash, it'll make a nice replacement for the Vivitar 285HV which price got inflated on ebay:confused: Like the 285HV you can set the power from 1/1 to 1/16.

Anyway I'm pretty excited about the price of $88:bsmilie:

I think I'll check the Lexus flash out tomorrow.. Thanks for the info!

Do update us on the SB3000... reviews welcome :)

yea, see if it works with K10D/K20D. If yes I would buy one for backup.

For those who like to have more info. I believe Lexus brand is rebrand of Tumax as most of the product the same. http://www.tumaxint.com/product.php

From what I'd did out in Taiwan sites, Lexus SB-3000 had been around for Canon since 2006, and it was sold for abt 5000+ TWD (abt S$220+). Tumax DPT386AFZ (similat not sure if same as SB3000) is sold in Taiwan and Korea for around S$200-250.

Anyway, I'll try find time to go down tomorrow to test, need to get the Camelion Batts and Charger which also seems like a gd deal:lovegrin:

Let me share my experience today..

Happened to be at Le Meridien, so I tried to check out the "dealer" there, Fotomage.. They didn't carry a Lexus SB3000, rather there was a rebrand Riva SB3000, obviously the same model. Asked for a price and was quoted $299!!!:bigeyes: I pulled out a printout of the offer page and immediately the salesman changed tone. He insisted that Riva was a different brand compared to Lexus and they didn't have stock. I ended up getting a rude insult, but not surprising since that particular shop was a typical tourist trap camera shop.

Challenger probably do not carry the flashes, at least the one at Funan did not. Only had up to SB800:bsmilie: Then checked out Song Bros at Funan, they also had a Riva SB3000, but when I showed them the paper the salesman said "Oh we don't hold Pentax stock at all". Finally popped by Bally, but no SB3000. Only saw the DSL20, and was quoted $195 (compared to $35).

Called up a few shops in SLS and Lucky Plaza to try my luck for fun.

It's a shame that all the "dealers" associated with this promotion are those shady tourist trap shops (Lucky Plaza, SLS, etc) and they all claimed to not know anything about this offer, yet never denied that Swissco was their distributor.

Tomorrow I'll be giving Swissco a call directly at their office, there was no answer today. Hopefully they sell the flash at the advertised offer price, I'm def not paying $299 for it! After all, there's a part in their Contact Us page regarding sales, we might be able to get a MO of sorts going, but shall leave that to the other subforum.

Longko bro, will you be heading directly to Swissco office at High Street Centre? I strongly advise anyone against bothering with any of the "dealers", none of them will be willing to honour the price, but it's understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.