Metz 15 MS-1 vs Pentax AF-160FC

Status
Not open for further replies.

codered

Aug 12, 2006
Anyone had experience with both? Which is better buy? Metz is easier to get and it's wireless.

I went over to K13 2 weeks ago, and saw the Metz one ... cannot try it, but appears really easy to use. There's no 49mm adapter though and no 77mm adapter as well. For those using the DA*16-50 or the D FA macro lenses, you'll need a step up or step down ring.

As for its usage, the demo from the Metz one is as simple as changing the mode to PTTL.

Anyways, I haven't use the Metz or the AF160 ... maybe Ben could tell us more about the pentax ring flash?

Last edited:
Pentax AF-160FC comes with 4 adapter rings 49mm, 52mm, 58mm & 67mm as well as a Macro Adapter for DFA macro lens. The Macro Adapter replace the DFA lens hood when use with 160FC.

Last edited:
How much is the Metz going for here? After seeing Ben's AF-160 in action, I'm very tempted to get a ring flash too.

Seems like the Pentax is a little smaller, but if the Metz can work properly as a slave unit, then it doesn't need to be connected by any cables and can just be triggered by the pop up flash?

I went over to K13 2 weeks ago, and saw the Metz one ... cannot try it, but appears really easy to use. There's no 49mm adapter though and no 77mm adapter as well. For those using the DA*16-50 or the D FA macro lenses, you'll need a step up or step down ring.

As for its usage, the demo from the Metz one is as simple as changing the mode to PTTL.

Anyways, I haven't use the Metz or the AF160 ... maybe Ben could tell us more about the pentax ring flash?

Sure.:)

During May 16th BT outing, I used the AF-160FC+DFA 100mm Macro throughout.

Either set the capture mode to Green Mode or AP Auto Exposure, the results between them has no difference.

This was taken at Green Mode & A settings.
IMGP3389.jpg

This was AP Auto Exposure.
IMGP3365.jpg

How much is the Metz going for here? After seeing Ben's AF-160 in action, I'm very tempted to get a ring flash too.

Seems like the Pentax is a little smaller, but if the Metz can work properly as a slave unit, then it doesn't need to be connected by any cables and can just be triggered by the pop up flash?

I'm not sure what is the advantage of using the Metz as a slave unit by remote or wireless. After all, the flash head has to be attached to the front of the lens, unless it do away with the cable that connects the controller to the flash head.

The AF-160FC is fixed cabled between the controller & flash which I found a bit inconvenient when mount & dismount the ring flash.

The older AF-140C was a different design, the cable is detachable at the controler. So handling is easier.

Pentax AF-160FC comes with 4 adapter rings 49mm, 52mm, 58mm & 67mm as well as a Macro Adapter for DFA macro lens. The Macro Adapter replace the DFA lens hood when use with 160FC.

I have DA35 and Tamron 90 - either way, I'll need a adapter for the flash. Metz comes with 55mm adapter ring which fits the tamron.

Sg500. How much is AF-160? Should be much higher right?

That's cheap! Where did you find it? I checked Adorama and B&H, and both sites sell it at US$400. I think Ben got a very good price for the AF-160 too, can't remember how much. But I don't think it'll be easy to get in Singapore.

That's cheap! Where did you find it? I checked Adorama and B&H, and both sites sell it at US$400. I think Ben got a very good price for the AF-160 too, can't remember how much. But I don't think it'll be easy to get in Singapore.

got the quote from op.

looks like no one here had any experience with Metz on our Pentax...:(

10 dollars cheaper at K13. 490;

Beside ring flash, anyone try double flash for macro shots or triple flash?

Flash bracket may be needed. I am still exploring too.

marcus

Beside ring flash, anyone try double flash for macro shots or triple flash?

Flash bracket may be needed. I am still exploring too.

marcus

I've tried having the Sigma 530 Super on the hotshoe and swiveled to the right, and holding the AF360 (wireless slave) horizontally in my left hand while still propping up the lens barrel. Both flashes with bounce card/diffuser. The effect is good when tested at home, ie there's very little shadow compared to just having a single hotshoe flash.

But it's super unwieldy, and I gave up after a couple of tries in Bukit Timah last week. Could barely hold the camera steady to get my shots in focus. So if you're going to try, I'd say get some really small and light slave flash, and definitely use a flash bracket.

For ring flashes, Tumax has one that works with P-TTL too, but seems nowhere as good as the Pentax or the Metz.

I've tried having the Sigma 530 Super on the hotshoe and swiveled to the right, and holding the AF360 (wireless slave) horizontally in my left hand while still propping up the lens barrel. Both flashes with bounce card/diffuser. The effect is good when tested at home, ie there's very little shadow compared to just having a single hotshoe flash.

But it's super unwieldy, and I gave up after a couple of tries in Bukit Timah last week. Could barely hold the camera steady to get my shots in focus. So if you're going to try, I'd say get some really small and light slave flash, and definitely use a flash bracket.

For ring flashes, Tumax has one that works with P-TTL too, but seems nowhere as good as the Pentax or the Metz.
]

Seems heavy for the set-up. Probably needs tripod and flash bracket for double flash.

Will be gettilng another cheapo second flash to try.

Tks.

otc

Just did a quick mock up. Maybe something like that will work for you.

IMGP8619.jpg

Just did a quick mock up. Maybe something like that will work for you.

IMGP8619.jpg

Yup, I was thinking of that. But without the grip, the flash head will be kind of high (I think it's nice to have it as close the same level as the lens as possible), not sure if that's an issue.

Anyway, the whole setup will still be very unbalanced I think, so I'm guessing a ring flash is a better (but costlier) idea. Alternatively, I'm also considering rigging up a pair of small slave flashes, best if they can be triggered by the pop-up flash directly. Something like this (taken from the Tumax product catalogue):
Untitled.jpg

But the bracket (at least the bar in the middle, the two at the side can be exactly like the ones you're using) probably has to be custom made, as I've never seen one like this in stores both online and traditional.

I have DA35 and Tamron 90 - either way, I'll need a adapter for the flash. Metz comes with 55mm adapter ring which fits the tamron.

For Tamron 90 with my AF-160, I am using Kenko 55 to 58 step up adapter.

I got my AF-160 at around S$550.00

For Tamron 90 with my AF-160, I am using Kenko 55 to 58 step up adapter.

I got my AF-160 at around S$550.00

Oh, that's reasonable. Local?

Status
Not open for further replies.