methods to reduce vibration in the tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a guy using a big tripod (probably a few kgs) with a big bag carrying 4-5 lenses with accessories, hanging below the tripod... and the tripod still toppled in the wind :sweat:

I saw a guy using a big tripod (probably a few kgs) with a big bag carrying 4-5 lenses with accessories, hanging below the tripod... and the tripod still toppled in the wind :sweat:

Must be a very strong wind ..

At a certain point the bag becomes a sail, catching the wind. The whole idea with the bag becomes counterproductive when the bag induces movements. (See Dennis' comments and remarks about letting the bag touch the ground lightly). If the Wind comes from the direction of a single leg it doesn't need much force to topple a tripod to the opposite site. But unless we see the setup and the condition in detail we can only guess.

Had the same expreience before....

My Tripod (Slik 714) actually came with a small bag to hang stones....but never used it.

I hung my bag (Stealth reporter AW 300) on the bottom to add weight. But it ended up swaying instead. Maybe i was doing it wrongly.

i suppose its either that person :

1) trying to do something beyond the stability of the tripod (no choice situation)

2) its gale force wind

3) doesnt know how to use a tripod properly.

Had the same expreience before....

My Tripod (Slik 714) actually came with a small bag to hang stones....but never used it.

I hung my bag (Stealth reporter AW 300) on the bottom to add weight. But it ended up swaying instead. Maybe i was doing it wrongly.

is it like a triangular apron with securing straps at each apex? or is it just a bag?

the apron (if its that) has 2 use :

1) under normal condition, act like a small table, for u to place common use items for easy access.

2) under trying condition, place stone to weigh down the tripod for stability.

as for hanging of bag, pls read the thread.

For me, the ends of my tripod's legs are rubber stoppers, which I'll step onto when there's a strong wind.

For me, the ends of my tripod's legs are rubber stoppers, which I'll step onto when there's a strong wind.

actually, i depends of the type of ground to select the footings.

hard ground use rubber footings

soft ground use spike footing and apply force to "sink in" each leg abit. (but not all tripods has this feature).

i hardly see people using tripods observing the a/m 2 pts.

Status
Not open for further replies.