Methods of Archieving your Digital Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

weekh

Sep 6, 2004
Currently using DVD to archieve all my digital files but find it very troublesome and difficult to retrieve those files later on.

How do u guys do it?

I'm thinking of getting a HUGE harddisk to back them up.

I think it's those 3.5'' HDD is quite cheap now a days.
A 200Gb HDD only cost around $200+ right?

if important images, use RAID 1 to accumulate, then use tape drive backup.

J.J said:
I think it's those 3.5'' HDD is quite cheap now a days.
A 200Gb HDD only cost around $200+ right?

Are these external or internal HDD?
If these are external with USB, I don't mind getting them. Cost will be about the same as a DVD disk.

Clown said:
if important images, use RAID 1 to accumulate, then use tape drive backup.

What is RAID 1?
How good is a tape drive backup? How much can it store?
Any hardware required and if so what's the cost?

I now archieve on both HDD & DVD, because I dont know where the technology will lead us in the next few years. Maybe either one (or both) will become obsolete in future?

weekh said:
Are these external or internal HDD?
If these are external with USB, I don't mind getting them. Cost will be about the same as a DVD disk.

just buy a normal internal IDE HDD
then buy the case
which the cost varies a lot depending on quality and brand of course

but, remember, HDD will fail for sure

weekh said:
What is RAID 1?

RAID 1 is mirroring
u use 2 HDDs, both contain same thing

squalle said:
just buy a normal internal IDE HDD
then buy the case
which the cost varies a lot depending on quality and brand of course

but, remember, HDD will fail for sure

DVD will also fail for sure. And I think using DVD as archieve is pretty stupid. Takes lots of time and difficult to retrieve.

Prefer to have harddisk. As long as they can last me for 3 /4 years, I have no problem as I can always copy them to a newer and bigger capacity HDD down the road.

I've some data which has been store for more than 10 years. I just copy from one HDD to another whenever I purchase a new computer.

DVD and CD will fail after 5 years depending on quality of the disc.
HDD retains the magnetic info indefinitely.
so does tape. but tape is less likely to spoil and takes up less space.

So if I were to go by the HDD backup, what kind do u recommend?
Those small little portable HDD with USB or those used by my desktop computer?

Clown said:
DVD and CD will fail after 5 years depending on quality of the disc.
HDD retains the magnetic info indefinitely.
so does tape. but tape is less likely to spoil and takes up less space.

Hi I nt tat gd in tech stuff...but does CDs reaali fail so easily?....actually I intend to burn all my pics into CDs for keep sake liao leh....but aft hearing this....abit hestitant liao...haa :bsmilie:

Bro, after spending $$$$$ on cdr, dvd r, etc, i realized best method is to get a 200GB hard disk in a portable enclosure.

I just save EVERYTHING in side. So fast, so easy. Burning DVD is possible, but its DAMN mah fan to have to insert and remove dvd just to browse ur pics, and after 1 yr, u confirm forget wat pics are in your DVDs. Not to mention its damn mah fan to burn 20 DVDs if u have 80 gb of pics (quite ez if u shoot raw).

Now everything i have is on a 200gb. Im intending to buy new HDD every 1 or 2 year to replace the older one just in case. I also keep all my other important docs on a HDD.

marican said:
Bro, after spending $$$$$ on cdr, dvd r, etc, i realized best method is to get a 200GB hard disk in a portable enclosure.

I just save EVERYTHING in side. So fast, so easy. Burning DVD is possible, but its DAMN mah fan to have to insert and remove dvd just to browse ur pics, and after 1 yr, u confirm forget wat pics are in your DVDs. Not to mention its damn mah fan to burn 20 DVDs if u have 80 gb of pics (quite ez if u shoot raw).

Now everything i have is on a 200gb. Im intending to buy new HDD every 1 or 2 year to replace the older one just in case. I also keep all my other important docs on a HDD.

That's what I'm thinking too.
Any good recommendation for such HDD with portable enclosure?

no matter what hardware solution you use, you will need a catalog software to organize your files.

Try this

Portfolio

you do not need to insert your CD/DVD to search and view a thumbnail of your pictures.

hi weekh,

a good 200gb hdd 7200 RPM is under 200. I got my Western digital 200GB 7200 RPM 8mb cache for 198. The prices for the portable enclosure range from abt 80 to 150++. 150++ is for the higher class aluminum ones.

I got mine for abt 80 as i didnt really care for the aluminium. A good brand is SAROTECH. Its made in korea and it is superb quality. Save ur money and get the USB 2.0 only version. There is a sarotech one with USB2 / Firewire but that one supposedly has some driver problems. USB2 is PLENTY fast.

Went to PK Computer at Funan and the 200GB HD are out of stock. They have the 300GB HD and package it together with the SAROTECH for about $450.

Will try SLS later.

Is Maxtor HD good? Should I get Western Digital or Maxtor?
How about the 300GB. Stable or not?

Interesting. I was always under the impression that it was safer to transfer to quality CD/DVD for archiving rather than magnetic forms (Tape/HDD). I have been using CD-R but eversince going DSLR they get filled up pretty quick due to the large file sizes. The HDD method is more appealing, quicker & space saving however my main concern about a large capacity HDD is "putting all eggs in one basket". So far I've never had any failures with my CDs (touch wood), I don't avoid using those cheapo CD-Rs.

Status
Not open for further replies.