Method to discharge batteries..

Status
Not open for further replies.

VyNnNnNnN

Mar 3, 2009
What method do you guys use to discharge your batteries?
I don't use my cam that often, so I'm thinking of discharging and re-charging my enelope, GP, and my D90 batteries.. How do you guys discharge your batt?

Do you guys just put the batteries in the charger and charge?
I'm not sure if my GP charger has this discharge function.. :dunno:

You may wish to read up about batteries. If you discharge wrongly you can go and buy new batteries.
Camera batteries get discharged either by using it or by not using it (self discharge). In first case just recharge upon returning home, store always charged. Avoid the latter one by recharging after 1 months. Discharging in DIY method (e.g. small bulb or LED) is a sure killer if done without control and knowledge.
Rechargeable AA and AAA follow the same, here most better chargers have Refresh or Conditioning functions. This will discharge the batteries in a controlled way (avoiding the lethal deep discharge) and recharge again. Get a proper charger that has such a function, avoid cheap Quick Chargers. Good chargers also charge every battery independently (good to see on the display).

Hmmm. Why would you want to discharge them. The new batteries does not have memory effect.
For your D90, just charge it once every few months but unless D90 has battery drain problem like some Sigma camera, then should last very very long.

Use in on your camping lantern and off your night light while sleeping and by morning ....flat.

So it's fine without discharging the batteries?

I'm worrying about it too much as i don't use the camera that much as usual. So i thought i might need to discharge and charge occasionally.. :bsmilie:

What method do you guys use to discharge your batteries?
I don't use my cam that often, so I'm thinking of discharging and re-charging my enelope, GP, and my D90 batteries.. How do you guys discharge your batt?

Do you guys just put the batteries in the charger and charge?
I'm not sure if my GP charger has this discharge function.. :dunno:

If you want to preserve the batteries in the best condition, then consider getting a charger with a conditioning function. It discharges the battery slowly and then charges it again.

In fact you must exercise the camera once every 6months and check if the battery is flat. A prolong flat battery will fail to charge again, just as to laptops and mobile phones. Electronic tends to spoil when not used for a very long time, sometime motor just died.

AA/AAA rechargeables like enelope are becoming hypermarts and hardware stores on the shelf products, so there is no fear having to travel far to get one. Dropping one hard on the ground and overcharge will spoil it too. For instance, during charging, should the batteries becomes very hot (i mean as hot as laptop vent), it means the charger is quick and shortens the battery lifespan.

So it's fine without discharging the batteries?

I'm worrying about it too much as i don't use the camera that much as usual. So i thought i might need to discharge and charge occasionally.. :bsmilie:

In fact you must exercise the camera once every 6months and check if the battery is flat. A prolong flat battery will fail to charge again, just as to laptops and mobile phones. Electronic tends to spoil when not used for a very long time, sometime motor just died.

AA/AAA rechargeables like enelope are becoming hypermarts and hardware stores on the shelf products, so there is no fear having to travel far to get one. Dropping one hard on the ground and overcharge will spoil it too. For instance, during charging, should the batteries becomes very hot (i mean as hot as laptop vent), it means the charger is quick and shortens the battery lifespan.

a normal battery life is abt 2-3 years after that the condition will drop due to chemical composition, humitidity....etc. there is no need to fully discharge a batt. it shorten the life. just normal charge, use and enjoy afterall, there would be even newer version of batt with higher capacity and lower price. few years ago, AA capacity was 1200ma. now u can find that at SIM LIM market boxes lelong sales on the floor . it 2100ma now.

Thanks for all the replies... :thumbsup:

The batteries now do not need discharge. I would always charge after half a day out shooting if I only have one battery.

I don't discharge my batteries. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.