metering with A40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon24

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
Any A40 user can help me with the following doubts. Thanks in advance.

In the P mode, the DC will set the aperture and shutter speed and we can onli do compensation. However in the M mode we can play around with the shutter speed and aperture control.

Is there anyway in the M mode to do metering and display the aperture setting and shutter speed. The problem i had is that whenever I switch to M mode both settings are hay wire. Even i half press the shutter, it doesnt give mi the metering readings. The manual doesnt give mi any clue regarding this area. Is this the DC limitation? Pls enlighten.

PS pls pardon me if my question sound stupid cos i a newbie

Think it's a limitation of the A40. Metering settings are determined automatically and not displayed.

I think your meaning of the aperture and shutter speed goes haywire because at any time, A40 only gives you 2 choices of aperture and those values would differ depending on where you point your A40 at...

Does that mean that in the M mode, the two readings does not truely reflect the lighting condition of the subject? In the M mode, the two readings remain the same irregardless of where I point the DC at unless I manually make the adjustment.

I believe the 2 readings will differ only after you have switched from M mode to another mode, then back again. Then the cam will recalculate the readings...

You can take a good picture with the right combination of settings :)

Originally posted by Falcon24

Is there anyway in the M mode to do metering and display the aperture setting and shutter speed. The problem i had is that whenever I switch to M mode both settings are hay wire. Even i half press the shutter, it doesnt give mi the metering readings.

In M (manual mode), the metering values are set by you.
A40 will only provide the metering values in auto mode or P mode.

More advance camera will provide aperture priority mode and shutter priority mode.

Aperture priority - you select the aperture value e.g f/2.8 and the camera will meter and provide a suitable shutter speed for you.

Shutter priority - same as above but you choose the shutter speed instead.

Hope this helps.

You can find out more basics at www.shortcourses.com

:)

ah yo .... I tot A40 has a LCD tt allow you preview the real time exposure when u set ur aperture and shutter speed :dunno:

Thks guys for yr enlightenment. I finally see the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.