I got this off the web:
EXPOSURE COMPENSATION FOR SUBJECT METERING
SUBJECT TONALITY COMPENSATION
Very Light + 2 stops
Light + 1
Medium 0
Dark - ½
Very Dark - 1

How to meter this with 10D in MANUAL mode ?

It seems all I can set it the Shutter or Aperture and this will change the metering from -2 to +2

Unlike in P, Tv, Av mode where I can set any stop I like for exposure.

Hence, how to I achieve the above as they advice ?

Also, how come AE lock does not work in manual mode ? Then how do I AE lock something ?

Thanxs guys

Pls understand what is manual mode. :)

i agree, please go find out what M mode does. If you can't have an understanding of M mode, then I don't see why you need to use it in the first place. Of course I can explain it to you here, but I really don't wish to. I don't want to sound like "expensive equipment = capable photographer", but hey, you own a 10D man, please do it some justice by reading up on the very basics. I'm sure the manual itself tells u what M is all about.

Once you know what M is, you'll find that the questions you asked are quite unnecessary.

Work hard and good luck.

meng said:
Pls understand what is manual mode. :)

wa kena suan :) keke

I'm new to photography mah would appreciate some advice/explanation mah.

sigh. u are asking to be suan. lol.

M = manual mode. ie you choose the settings, the shutter speed + aperture. why do you still need to compensate what you choose? use manual mode only if you are experienced enough to set the settings manually!!!

myloplex said:

you only need 5 minutes reading up the M mode page on your manual, and a little common sense, in order to answer your own question. Do yourself this favour please.

sorry, not suan.
But anyone should really read the manual first before posing any question unless you do not have the manual?
myloplex said:
wa kena suan :) keke

myloplex said:
IHow to meter this with 10D in MANUAL mode ?

It seems all I can set it the Shutter or Aperture and this will change the metering from -2 to +2

The reason why u are getting this in Manual mode is because the light meter in the camera is trying to indicate the amount of f-stop(s) you are under or over-exposing your shot when u r trying the various combinations of shutter and iris settings. And really, a good thing to do is to RTFM ;p before using an unfamiliar camera, then u can go on and read up or ask for opinions on further, more in-depth, queries. :)

Noir said:
The reason why u are getting this in Manual mode is because the light meter in the camera is trying to indicate the amount of f-stop(s) you are under or over-exposing your shot when u r trying the various combinations of shutter and iris settings. And really, a good thing to do is to RTFM ;p before using an unfamiliar camera, then u can go on and read up or ask for opinions on further, more in-depth, queries. :)

Hrm...

* togu wonders what's RTFM :think:

Myloplex, I'll advice like the rest tho, read your manual, keep experimenting the different settings. There's no fix rules for what setting to use in different shooting environment, you gotta feel it yourself.

And since you are the main photographer for your friend's wedding this saturday ( http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=43886&page=2&pp=20 ) , do them some justice, RTFM.

:sweat:

jeffgoh said:
sorry ot but wat does it mean by RTFM?? :dunno:

My humble guess.
Read The F****** Manual!!?!?!??!?!

haha
:embrass:

- Bob

ps
myoplex, I try to use manual most of the time.
A bit tricky to get used to at first, but once you get the hang of it, you can shoot in confidence knowing that your camera wun be fooled by tricky light conditions.

Dun worry too much bout the comments so far, I'm sure each one of us was unsure about what Manual is somewhere down the line.
:)

bobotto said:
Dun worry too much bout the comments so far, I'm sure each one of us was unsure about what Manual is somewhere down the line.

yes it happened to me once leh, but I RTFM. Not too hard to understand even for a pea brain like me.

meng said:
sorry, not suan.
But anyone should really read the manual first before posing any question unless you do not have the manual?

me! i'm suan! (literally... :sweat: )

:bsmilie:

just note that the arrow for the +/- EV sign is subjective - i only realized how manual can be VERY useful when i was shooting the NDP fireworks with the CS gang... .;)

Hmm okay got it so far. So much suaning etc ...me newbie mah. Read manual also blur :) That's why learning the hard way. Need to get *** and suan lor. Deja vu ...just like in BMT.

Anwyay just to reconfirm:

E.g shooting snow. You need to add +1 stop

Manual mode
a) Just change the aperture / shutter until +1 shows in the indicator

P, Tv, Av mode
a) Press Shutter halfway, camera will meter light automatically.
b) You can change Aperture (tv mode) or Shutter (av mode) to get DOF
c) To compensate for the snow .... Just turn the exposure compensation dial till you get +1

Is the above the correct way to achieve the below ?
EXPOSURE COMPENSATION FOR SUBJECT METERING
SUBJECT TONALITY COMPENSATION
Very Light + 2 stops
Light + 1
Medium 0
Dark - ½
Very Dark - 1

--------------------------------------------------------------
e.g Backlit object

P, Av, Tv mode
a)Using partial metering + AE lock (<*> pressed)
AE lock applied to the metered value at the center AF point
b) you can recompose your shot and the exposure will be based on the locked exposure

Manual Mode
AE not available .. ie cannot press <*>
Thus how to 'lock' the exposure based one area and recompose ?

when u recompose in Manual Mode, the shutter and aperture values don't change, so the exposure is locked as long as you don't change the settings. Even if you move to a very dark or very bright area, the settings will stay as it is, unless your camera is faulty. Logical right?
myloplex said:
Manual Mode
AE not available .. ie cannot press <*>
Thus how to 'lock' the exposure based one area and recompose ?

meng said:
when u recompose in Manual Mode, the shutter and aperture values don't change, so the exposure is locked as long as you don't change the settings. Even if you move to a very dark or very bright area, the settings will stay as it is, unless your camera is faulty. Logical right?

Yup the shutter/aperture will stay, but your exposure leve -2 to +1 will definately change esp if you move from a bright to dark level.

You focus on an area your exposure indicator can be "0" but if you recompose the shot the exposure indicator will change mah ...then how ?

myloplex said:
Yup the shutter/aperture will stay, but your exposure leve -2 to +1 will definately change esp if you move from a bright to dark level.

You focus on an area your exposure indicator can be "0" but if you recompose the shot the exposure indicator will change mah ...then how ?

:bigeyes:

Seriously think you need to do some reading, else how to be main photographer for your friend's wedding this saturday? This is a good start,

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/photo_world/kumon/index.htm

:sweat:

togu is right.
I think we had done the explanation. It's your turn to read and think now. Do not think too much about the techicalities sometimes, instead think of the logical aspect.
I'm no expert myself, but sometimes I rely on my instinct and brain to decide and decipher.:)
myloplex said:

myloplex, read this carefully by Noir

Noir said:

myloplex said:

In manual mode, you set the aperture and you set the shutter speed. In this mode, all the blinking lights you see in the view finder are just for show, ignore them. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.