Metering modes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mookie

Aug 19, 2003
Sunnypore
Visit site
Hi guys, am a newbie at photography, so don't know much bout metering modes.

What are the differences between the auto mode, spot metering and multi metering? How do they affect the overall picture?

Thanks!

Usually there is three modes of metering.

1. Multi segment

This metering mode takes into account the whole scene into consideration.

2. Center-Weighted Average

This metering mode takes into account about 80 percent of the scene from the center into consideration.

3. Spot metering

This metering mode takes into account about 2 percent in the center into consideration. usually there is a small circle ring on the screen of your camera.Tat's the metering area for Spot. ;)

There's also partial metering too.

sorry to ask again...but how do metering modes affect the overall picture?

it can affect the aperture, shutter speed or even the ISO in some digicams' modes). what it does is to determine the right combination of the above settings to ensure that the pic is neither too bright or too dark.

mpenza said:
it can affect the aperture, shutter speed or even the ISO in some digicams' modes). what it does is to determine the right combination of the above settings to ensure that the pic is neither too bright or too dark.

Very well exposed..... :thumbsup:

Hi,

Another newbie here. Hope mookie dun mind me using his thread.
Need help on metering with Filters.

For the different type of metering, if i were to add filters, does it affect the meter? Do i need to compensate the exposure and by how much?

Filters:
1) UV filter
2) Cir Polariser
3) GND - Gradually Neutral Density
4) Warm filter eg 81A (not so sure about the number)

Thanks a lot. :D

That depends on your camera. normal AF SLR has TTL( through the lens ) Metering, that means the exposure is already compensated for. as for range finder cameras, you need to caculate the filter factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.