Metering mode - which one to use??

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterlimyk

Jul 14, 2008
I went to my friend's wedding day and that was my first. I was also his main photographer and that's my first too.

However, I was struggling with metering mode. with the same metering mode, sometimes it gives two different results.

Any guide/tips?

Read the manual ??
I am sure it will explain adequately :)

Happy Shooting !! ;)

Wow, i m surprised.. You are the main photographer but you ain't sure which metering modes to choose and what it's meant for?.. no offence here.. :)

Ok, Are u on Spot? where results are likely not consisten as Spot metering produced the widest variation in exposures since each scene is different. Spot meters everything to 18% grey and the spot moves together with the focus point.

Matrix certainly takes the entire scene into account in trying to average out the exposure.

Center weighted should remains constant in the center of the frame, regardless of what focus spot is used.

HTH.

Wow, i m surprised.. You are the main photographer but you ain't sure which metering modes to choose and what it's meant for?.. no offence here.. :)
HTH.

aiyeah as long as can take nice pictures and wedding couple is happy you can get away with not understanding the functions!

TS which system are you using?

what is your definition of different results?

also same mode but shot under different lighting will yield different results!

best if you can post both pictures which you think is of different results.

It is important to understand all the different metering modes because at different times, you would need to use different modes. There is no one metering mode that beats all others and will always get you the correct exposure. Also, learn how to use the AE-L button on your camera.

aiyeah as long as can take nice pictures and wedding couple is happy you can get away with not understanding the functions!

TS which system are you using?

what is your definition of different results?

also same mode but shot under different lighting will yield different results!

best if you can post both pictures which you think is of different results.

Agreed also lar..:) As long the final output is good and couple is happy.

Yah..TS : pls post pics with diff results so we can diagnose and get to the root of ur problem.

I went to my friend's wedding day and that was my first. I was also his main photographer and that's my first too.

However, I was struggling with metering mode. with the same metering mode, sometimes it gives two different results.

Any guide/tips?

read sulhan's photography notes for newbies in newbies section.

Any guide/tips?

Not enough info. We don't know what you were doing and what you intended to do.

Whatever mode you're using, the exposure reading is not always consistent even for the same scene, same time.

For events, shoot in manual exposure mode and control your own exposure instead of letting the camera decide for you.

different metering mode give different exposures. metering mode is something like how the camera measure light - different measurement style, different results

MeteringMode.jpg

Any guide/tips?

Guides/tips? Its too late now isn't it? Hope the photos did not turn out too bad :sweat:
You did not say if you were shooting indoor, with or without flash or outdoor with or without flash. So are you comparing the indoor ones with the outdoor ones?
Maybe you can post your photos & the settings? Its hard to imangine what your photo looks like.

Let's not jump to conclusions and be camera snobs. For reasons unknown to us, the TS may have been asked to shoot the wedding as the bride/groom couple are a friend and do not want something too elaborate/fancy/expensive. Perhaps the couple don't even want photos but the TS offered as a friend since he/she has the gear. Who knows?

I've seen really great photos taken with PnS. It depends on the couple, how photogenic they are, and of course, the gear of the photographer. Even auto mode on a DSLR is good. Do whatever works for you.

Weddings have become such a massive hype when in fact, it is a simple declaration of love between two people, sometimes this is done in front of an entourage of 30+ tables whereas others are (very) simple.

With regards to metering mode, I doth profess I do concur with all previous posters - RTFM!

normally for wedding shot, i always use center-weighted. since the main subject is people and environment is also important.

but also depends on what kind of image i wanna take.

Ok, Are u on Spot? where results are likely not consisten as Spot metering produced the widest variation in exposures since each scene is different. Spot meters everything to 18% grey and the spot moves together with the focus point.

Matrix certainly takes the entire scene into account in trying to average out the exposure.

Center weighted should remains constant in the center of the frame, regardless of what focus spot is used.

HTH.

if i am not wrong, the center-weighted is not remains in the center of the frame but follows your focus point if you are using single point focusing mode.

use multi-metering for general purpose, would say most of the time.

Spot usually like sunset or bright spot which u wanna capture more.
Experience does count so really cant give u an answer.

know your camera, techniques, practice, experiment and did I mention know your camera like the back of your hand.

Any guide/tips?

I'm afraid not.

We don't know what camera you were using, what flash, if any, what camera settings, what custom functions, what flash settings, what the location was like, what the lighting at the location was like, and we still have to guess even with that information if no side-by-side samples are not provided.

It's almost like saying, 'my wall collapsed when the weather changed. Anyone knows what happened?'

Any guide/tips?

event over already then you ask?

anyway while you are learning up, here is a tip.

when in doubt....use the Green Mode or the various Preset modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.