Metering: Centre-weighted vs Evaluative

Status
Not open for further replies.

copland

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
Is metering the process of seeing how much brightness there is so that you/the camera AF can determine the optimal exposure setting?

So center-weighted metering means it is taking the brightness setting based on the subject in the centre focus frame whereas for evaluative metering, it is taking the brightness setting based on multiple spots on the picture to determine optimum exposure setting?

So to prevent the AF into being fooled due to the ambient brigthness, centre-weighted metering is recommended?

Can anyone provide me with some pointers? Thanks.

Originally posted by copland
Is metering the process of seeing how much brightness there is so that you/the camera AF can determine the optimal exposure setting?

So center-weighted metering means it is taking the brightness setting based on the subject in the centre focus frame whereas for evaluative metering, it is taking the brightness setting based on multiple spots on the picture to determine optimum exposure setting?

So to prevent the AF into being fooled due to the ambient brigthness, centre-weighted metering is recommended?

Can anyone provide me with some pointers? Thanks.

1. 99% of shooting situations, multi-segment or matrix metering is fine.

2. In some difficult situations (the remaining 1%), yes, a spot meter (or a centre-weighted meter in a pinch) is useful.

3. For difficult situations, its simpler to just bracket the shot. :)

Thanks for your input.

what does bracketing a shot mean? Is it only available on higher end DC like G2? Mine's only an A40 so I have spot/evaluative metering.

You can do it 'manually'; in DC language (not sure of terminology) I think it means shooting at EV-1.0, EV 0 and EV +1.0.

Originally posted by copland
Thanks for your input.

what does bracketing a shot mean? Is it only available on higher end DC like G2? Mine's only an A40 so I have spot/evaluative metering.

Status
Not open for further replies.