Metering, AE Lock & AF Lock for portairt

Status
Not open for further replies.

kulagg

Feb 9, 2009
Hello everyone, I'm pretty confused about how to do the correct metering when shooting portrait.

I'm using D90 + Tamron 28-75/f2.8.
My current setting is "Single point metering" / "Single point focus", Aperture @ 2.8/3.2
Shutter speed usually 1/60.

Am I supposed to meter the face @ very close range (like a few inches) to the highlight area?

then AE lock, step back, focus, AF lock, re-compose and exposure?

Or I shall just stay away, meter the face, AE/AF lock together and re-compose , exposure?

I often find some area of the face is too bright (shoot at 3-4pm sunny afternoon), even if I try to use f4 with 1/80s.

Sunny afternoon with F4, 1/80? are you using Manual mode?

Hello everyone, I'm pretty confused about how to do the correct metering when shooting portrait.

I'm using D90 + Tamron 28-75/f2.8.
My current setting is "Single point metering" / "Single point focus", Aperture @ 2.8/3.2
Shutter speed usually 1/60.

Am I supposed to meter the face @ very close range (like a few inches) to the highlight area?

then AE lock, step back, focus, AF lock, re-compose and exposure?

Or I shall just stay away, meter the face, AE/AF lock together and re-compose , exposure?

I often find some area of the face is too bright (shoot at 3-4pm sunny afternoon), even if I try to use f4 with 1/80s.
if it is on a Sunny day, with subject face is lighted by direct sunlight with distinct shadow, the correct exposure on the face should be f16, any ISO, shutter speed is 1/(same as ISO).
so even you are using f4, 1/80s, I'm sure it suppose to be just simple white wash, way way overexposed.

Sunny afternoon with F4, 1/80? are you using Manual mode?

Should be A mode, I set ISO auto, max 400. EV -0.7 or -1.

I cannot remember exactly the shutter speed but it's fast.

And there are still too much light on the face >_<.

I suspect I did not do right when I meter and AE lock.

if it is on a Sunny day, with subject face is lighted by direct sunlight with distinct shadow, the correct exposure on the face should be f16, any ISO, shutter speed is 1/(same as ISO).
so even you are using f4, 1/80s, I'm sure it suppose to be just simple white wash, way way overexposed.

Ohh thank for the advice, will practice. But I want Bokeh effect, with f16 how ah? :cry:

Did you meter the background? Evaluative?

Eww sorry I do not know how to meter the background, it's like empty space, very far away there are some tall buildings.

The model is standing near a light pole before the parliament house.

yes, you should take the exposure reading from the face, but most people fail to put their portrait subject under the right light at the first place. this is first issue, you can borrow a book on portrait photographer to know more on this.

second issue is understanding what is exposure, you can read the book call "understanding exposure" by Peter Bryan, this is a great book.

third issue is how to focus, there is this thing call focusing point selector on your camera, you can read your camera user manual for how to make full use of it.

hope this help.

Should be A mode, I set ISO auto, max 400. EV -0.7 or -1.

I cannot remember exactly the shutter speed but it's fast.

And there are still too much light on the face >_<.

I suspect I did not do right when I meter and AE lock.
every single photos start with correct exposure, regardless what type of subjects.

why don't learn what is exposure first?

Thank you very much catchlights!

I will read up and practice more.

Status
Not open for further replies.