Messenger Bags for recommendation

Jan 20, 2011
Singapore
Hi Csers,

I would like to have some recommendations on getting a messenger bag for storing these set of items.

1. Camera/Camcorder - NEW Ciesta Flexible(M) Camera insert Partition Padd...
This partition is for my camera and lens. Size 30W X 15H X 18D.

2. A Macbook pro 13" (32.5W X 2.41H, 22.7D)

3. Some but not too much space to put other stuffs in the bag. (trying to look small and compact despite such demand on the bag capacity)

I know carrying stuffs like that, it is better off to get a dedicated camera/laptop bag but I want to have the freedom to switch my bag usage as an when I need/like. This is also for daily non-camera usage and potentially for Uni.

I was looking at Crumpler Barney-Rustle (39W X 27.5H X 21D) but when I got to the shop it seems a little too small. The concern is on the Depth of the bag to fit the height of the macbook and the depth of the partition, but I realised most crumpler messenger bags are proportionally bigger in the width for those bags that can give a little more allowance to the depth vector.

So anyone can suggest a bag that fits my request? :D

yukithesnowman said:
Hi Csers,

I would like to have some recommendations on getting a messenger bag for storing these set of items.

1. Camera/Camcorder - NEW Ciesta Flexible(M) Camera insert Partition Padd...
This partition is for my camera and lens. Size 30W X 15H X 18D.

2. A Macbook pro 13" (32.5W X 2.41H, 22.7D)

3. Some but not too much space to put other stuffs in the bag. (trying to look small and compact despite such demand on the bag capacity)

I know carrying stuffs like that, it is better off to get a dedicated camera/laptop bag but I want to have the freedom to switch my bag usage as an when I need/like. This is also for daily non-camera usage and potentially for Uni.

I was looking at Crumpler Barney-Rustle (39W X 27.5H X 21D) but when I got to the shop it seems a little too small. The concern is on the Depth of the bag to fit the height of the macbook and the depth of the partition, but I realised most crumpler messenger bags are proportionally bigger in the width for those bags that can give a little more allowance to the depth vector.

So anyone can suggest a bag that fits my request? :D

Look at vanguard up rise models. It fits your needs.

Good quality and good padding

Just wondering, maybe the Timbuk2 The Snoop can fit? It's one heck of a big messenger bag. U can check out the specs tho.

Hi all, thanks for the recommendations you have provided.

Technoglitz97, I went to check on the bag you mentioned and it looks prominent. Do you own this bag? I was thinking of putting my own partition in the bag but since it gives one as well and its relatively cheaper than crumpler series, it is a good deal I must say.

If you own this bag, which one is better for an average slim build body size such that it does not look out of bag-to-user proportion? I was thinking of the medium size but seeing the review video, the guy seems a little small for that size of bag.

donut88,

I am looking for a bag that can be transformed out of camera function when I need to. I have a lowerpro AW series bag and I realized sometimes I need the ability to change out when the situation calls for it, so a dedicated camera bag would not provide me with this ability. However, thanks for your feedback! :)

i'm a biker so i bought the Timbuk2 Lite Brite Messenger and got Matin inserts. the reason why i got it was that when it rains, i don't need a raincover for the bag. it's waterproof outside and has side flaps so water doesn't seep in.

for good prices on Timbuk2 bags, visit Bonkers Link at Queensway. the uncle's very nice and you can still bargain though the prices are already quite cheap.

i believe he still has the Snoop.

i'm a biker so i bought the Timbuk2 Lite Brite Messenger and got Matin inserts. the reason why i got it was that when it rains, i don't need a raincover for the bag. it's waterproof outside and has side flaps so water doesn't seep in.

for good prices on Timbuk2 bags, visit Bonkers Link at Queensway. the uncle's very nice and you can still bargain though the prices are already quite cheap.

I see, I think I'm sucked into Timbuk2 already haha.. Can I confirm that those bag that is not waterproof outside but lined TPU inside will get wet on the outside? I am just concern with the space allowed for partitions. My partition has a depth of 18cm, so unless the bag provides one already, I need to find a bag big enough to fit the macbook and my partition but dun look too bulky. I will check the Queensway outlet. If I were to get the Snoop or your Light Brite Messenger, how much should I expect to be paying?

I see, I think I'm sucked into Timbuk2 already haha.. Can I confirm that those bag that is not waterproof outside but lined TPU inside will get wet on the outside? I am just concern with the space allowed for partitions. My partition has a depth of 18cm, so unless the bag provides one already, I need to find a bag big enough to fit the macbook and my partition but dun look too bulky. I will check the Queensway outlet. If I were to get the Snoop or your Light Brite Messenger, how much should I expect to be paying?

about $160. cheaper than if you bought it from the timbuk2 website. though they're on sale, remember that you have to pay for shipping charges.

the timbuk2 has inner lining meaning that in a drizzle the insides won't get wet.

but the lite brite, just like kotex with the wings, there's an additional flap on the sides of the bags to prevent water from getting in. only unique to the lite brite and the mavericks waterproof messenger

about $160. cheaper than if you bought it from the timbuk2 website. though they're on sale, remember that you have to pay for shipping charges.

the timbuk2 has inner lining meaning that in a drizzle the insides won't get wet.

but the lite brite, just like kotex with the wings, there's an additional flap on the sides of the bags to prevent water from getting in. only unique to the lite brite and the mavericks waterproof messenger

Hahahaha what a depiction. kotex with wings. i'm sure timbuk2 can do better than kotex. lolol. anw to TS, i have been aiming for that bag too. i particularly love the limeaid color variant. But i somehow feel it's all bit tad big for me. I prefer bringing something light, but that looks to hold almost every piece of equipment and a tripod below. really convenient if u don't want a backpack. THe strain on the shoulder could come as a disadvantage tho.

Hahahaha what a depiction. kotex with wings. i'm sure timbuk2 can do better than kotex. lolol. anw to TS, i have been aiming for that bag too. i particularly love the limeaid color variant. But i somehow feel it's all bit tad big for me. I prefer bringing something light, but that looks to hold almost every piece of equipment and a tripod below. really convenient if u don't want a backpack. THe strain on the shoulder could come as a disadvantage tho.

I am just so sad that I lost the opportunity to order from their online sale.. Just ended a while ago and I wanted to go back home to settle the order.. Sigh..

just don't put too many things into the bag and there won't be a strain on the shoulder

yukithesnowman said:
donut88,

I am looking for a bag that can be transformed out of camera function when I need to. I have a lowerpro AW series bag and I realized sometimes I need the ability to change out when the situation calls for it, so a dedicated camera bag would not provide me with this ability. However, thanks for your feedback! :)

I think the vanguard up rise series allow u to take out the compartments, and u can use it as a normal bag. It already allow u to slot in your laptop inside.

Check it out

I think the vanguard up rise series allow u to take out the compartments, and u can use it as a normal bag. It already allow u to slot in your laptop inside.

Check it out

bro you've been off topic too much these days.

on one thread TS had already set his mind on the D7000 and you keep repeating yourself for him to get an NEX-5N.

now TS wants to get a messenger bag from Timbuk2 and you're recommending Vanguard?

have you eaten too many donuts?

kei1309 said:
bro you've been off topic too much these days.

on one thread TS had already set his mind on the D7000 and you keep repeating yourself for him to get an NEX-5N.

now TS wants to get a messenger bag from Timbuk2 and you're recommending Vanguard?

have you eaten too many donuts?

Lol

Devil's advocate.... just giving some useful alternatives.

Lol

Devil's advocate.... just giving some useful alternatives.

Thanks Donut88 for your recommendation. It does fall into the category I am looking for. But one thing I noticed about this bag is the depth allowance being too little (10.5cm) a macbook is 2.41cm thick and if I were to consider the height of my D7000 which is about 10.3cm, it will not fit nicely.

MO: 30% off Timbuk2 Bags - Page 94 - www.hardwarezone.com.sg

Kei1309
I'm considering this MO on hardwarezone, seems reputable enough and cheaper but it has a freaking long waiting time to reach my hands.. I might fall back to crumpler seedy three after the loss from not buying through the Black Friday sale..T.T

Black Friday sales i've checked. Can't match the price from Bonkers Link

Serious meh? I saw the price its about $140+ through the sale with shipping and conversion charges applied. Bonkers Link sell cheaper?

Serious meh? I saw the price its about $140+ through the sale with shipping and conversion charges applied. Bonkers Link sell cheaper?

you have to ask the uncle. if you've bought many bags from him, he'll still knock off some $$ off the listed price

kei1309 said:

May I know what size, the Matin insert, were you able to fit in and generally, how much things have you been able to fit in? TIA :)

Last edited: