Mesmerized

crystal1993

Aug 16, 2010
Japan, Tokyo
68828_1666283381023_1355451962_31758299_6676742_n.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition and feel.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Show the little girl's feelings. I saw her staring at the art work for quite awhile as though mesmerized by it.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Handheld. No PP done. At about 8pm+? Quite a lot of people pushing me too. =(

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Can be improved but i lost the chance. The girl ran off a few seconds later when i'm trying to compose the 2nd shot. So this is the ONLY shot i have off her. =(

P/S: I'm still a noob, still learning so yeah. Sorry if the photo is not good. :embrass:

the first impression is that the bear and the white stand it is on, is the main and intending subject with the girl as the secondary subject with somehow some relating elements between them....

For shooting small children, try to shoot from their eye level and not from yours. For me, I will get behind her (if possible) and move down to her level looking up towards the light.

PS. Be sure to ask the parents for permission when you are shooting young children.

The lighted pillar with the bear standing on top, is just too strong and a subject to be included in the frame. It will become the point of interest, irregardless of the name of your title. Not a good picture at all. Better luck next time.

the composition is a bit too cluttered

add that to the top-down point of view, and the perspective distortion that you have introduced by your choice of height to take this photo at.... and the fact that you have one huge big blown highlight that hogs all the attention in the photo - all these add up to one uninteresting photo.

cheers.

Thanks guys for the feedback!

Will try it again when i get the chance. ;p

How could we get her feelings in this picture ?
We see the back of a little girl watching something which should be related to the sign but we don't also graps what it is.
It's a missed but the most important you had an idea and it is valuable for taking pictures.

One question to help ? If she was mesmerized, do you think the angle of view, from the top, is the best to render her pleasure ? No of course, you would have been better positioned at her level, you should have squat.

Maybe the photographer should decide what he wants to portray when shooting this. Did you actually intended to shoot the teddy bear? Cos thats what the idea looked like at first glance, the girl is then the distraction in this case and should be eliminated. :p

But if the girl and what she is staring at the main focus of the picture, may I suggest taking a few steps to the left and try from that angle. or even to the extreme right and shoot her leaning over the rails. Whatever it is, the lighted stand with the teddy is a super big distraction, best to leave it out of the pic.

Good effort, keep shooting. Some days, we can come home with 100s of shots with no good shots, do don't be discouraged! :)

Maybe the photographer should decide what he wants to portray when shooting this. Did you actually intended to shoot the teddy bear? Cos thats what the idea looked like at first glance, the girl is then the distraction in this case and should be eliminated. :p

But if the girl and what she is staring at the main focus of the picture, may I suggest taking a few steps to the left and try from that angle. or even to the extreme right and shoot her leaning over the rails. Whatever it is, the lighted stand with the teddy is a super big distraction, best to leave it out of the pic.

Good effort, keep shooting. Some days, we can come home with 100s of shots with no good shots, do don't be discouraged! :)

Yeah to be honest at first i just wanna shoot the lighted pillar but when the girl came into my viewfinder i just had this idea and didn't want to miss it.

I did originally wanted to squat behind her but there are too many people blocking me. It was quite crowded that day when i went.

Thanks for the encouragement!

How could we get her feelings in this picture ?
We see the back of a little girl watching something which should be related to the sign but we don't also graps what it is.
It's a missed but the most important you had an idea and it is valuable for taking pictures.

One question to help ? If she was mesmerized, do you think the angle of view, from the top, is the best to render her pleasure ? No of course, you would have been better positioned at her level, you should have squat.

Yeah i kind of got that part. :embrass: