Merlion

nitewalk

May 31, 2010
Singapore
6153036218_4f7e66a8ca_z.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, exposure and any technical issues with the shot.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To show a piece of landmark in Singapore against the CBD building.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Sunset timing. Many tourist around. No more space for me to retreat.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Personally, I am already aware that the verticals are not aligned as i took the shot. I was using a kit lens and i already push myself against the railing, stop short of falling over into the sea, but I still cannot align the camera sensor in a way that can align the vertical lines correctly, without cutting off the top of the buildings.

Quite well done. Except it's too sharp. Sharp is good, too sharp makes it looks fake :) If you are referring to the perspective and what you actually wanted is adjusting the keystone to give the building a vertical look. You can try the following. Your current pic is fine. I'm not sure if you cropped it later, but if possible, make your FOV larger to accommodate more spacing. It's kinda tight now. You can shift up your lens, maintain all the other parameters like focus, exposure, zoom, aperture etc. Then take another shots using the same environment. Because the buildings are static and the sky clouds wouldn't move so fast, you can then do a panoramic stitch. After that you can adjust your cropping and whatsoever to give a complete picture.

Nowdays is the digital era, things can be more flexible. Your horizon cutting point between the 2 photos should be around the top of the fullterton building so that your sky clouds should they be moving belongs to the top photo and the people moving and water flowing out from the merlon belongs to the bottom photo.

Try the method I suggested if you have another time to take the shot again.

To straighthen out the vertical lines and keeping the top of the buildings in the frame, you should be moving backwards, not into the "sea". That said, you would need a UWA.

I find the placement of the Merlion too close to the right side of the frame and the tones are close to clipping. Can probably tone down the highlights when you edit the photo.

I suppose what you mean is you have no more space to move back so this is the widest u can go. If that is the case, like one of the earlier critique, i suppose u can do a stitch. Granted it might be difficult, esp during sunset timing the change in lighting condition is dynamic so u might need some experimenting before u get the right formula. There is a learning point with regards to the timing and exposure of the shots. It could come with some trial and error anyway.

Other than that, you might really want to consider getting a UWA. It is good that you have kept in mind the concept about vertical lines. I'd prefer more breathing space on the sides and the top. Granted u already pushed your limit, so this is something you still have to take note of. Just be aware of highlights which could be blown. It is a decent effort.