Merlion

bragbig

Jun 6, 2010
Singapore / Woodlands
1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, Post Processing, Focusing, Exposure and any others areas of improvement

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
The old feel of printed photo that turn yellowish after being found

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Bright and Sunny Sunday afternoon while strolling along Esplanade

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Have the feel of a old picture.

5243299493_796bbcb6fb_z.jpg

Last edited:
1. The composition is by the rule. Exposure is correct.
2. I didn't see the old effect. Sorry. Give more sephia look.

Give it a longer exposure by using an ND filter and try some vignetting for more dramatic results.

Exposure wise is ok I think. Composition wise, I would have preferred a slightly wider angle of view, i feel that the crop is a little tight on the Merlion. Like others have mentioned, an ND filter should help to blur out the stream of water which might give some interesting results. If want to create a old look, perhaps you can try to add a little grain, some vignetting, less saturation and more sepia. Just some of my opinions to share, others may think otherwise. :)

You have perhaps the 3 most recent skyscrapers in singapore smacked right within the frame and you are trying to portray an old feel? Hmm... hard to reconcile that. :think:

Btw, not all 'yellowish' photos give the old feel, they could also give the impression of bad white balance control.

IMHO.

Its not what I'd consider a badly taken photo but its not great either. It lacks a pull factor which grabs attention. In essence, I came, I saw it and I forget about it. Like someone mentioned earlier, the colour tones suggest a less than desirable use of ambient lighting or failure to colour manage rather than presenting a sense of nostalgia. The fact that the buildings in the background are brand spanking new doesn't help your course much either.

Afternoon isn't the best time to take the merlion since the sun is not shinning directly on it. It doesn't matter whether you've nailed the exposure if you haven't got the ambient lighting working for you. You still won't get that shot. You will definitely do better if you loosen up the composition to include more surrounding context.

Is it a good photo? No.

Is it a good learnnig experience? Yes.

All... Thanks for all the critique... This is my first time posting here and my first time trying to pp what i have taken... More critique to come in... I will like to improve... So meaning i need to show me...

I guess what you peeps trying to tell me that the photo has got not enough "fee" to captivate the people who view the photo...

>>Kit... Thanks for your comments... Will explore what you mentioned.

BTW tis photo is taken with a 17-70 Sigma lens which i jus bought and trying to play around with it...

Its a 640 x 480 jpeg so you can't conclusively determine if its focussed correctly. All I can say is its looks ok.

I agree with bro Kit about the image being a little too small for us to tell if its OOF, but you should be able to answer the question by taking a look at the larger image. From the image you posted it seems ok to me though :)

Thanks so much... Looking forward to shoot more picture and improve along the way...