Merlion winning shots are here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think theer is no point argueing since teh result is out.. The judges decision is final, isn't it?

I am sure the pic has their merits for being choosen out of the so many entries. The owner of those winning shots would have think that their work is the best.. Same goes to those that submitted.

The winner of those shot will be disappointed if they see this thread, bombarding how badly they have done or that they dun deserved it. Right?

The small print and the scan might not be accurate.. Soem photo look better when blow up to bigger size.. Some look "soft" when blow up to bigger size...

Just hope that this is going to be a yearly or biyearly event to generate more photography interest in S'pore.ot neccessaarily Merlion maybe other places of interest.

Still have to congrats the winner whether he see it here or not.

I guess the point to note is that the panel of judges are not always a photographer. Sometimes, a majority of the judges are merely grassroot leaders, head of the sponsoring companies, etc etc. Therefore It is always possible that the photos are selected based on their 'feeling' or perhaps even some personal liking for certain subjects in the frame rather than technically and compositionally excellent shots. :)

KS

Originally posted by ckiang
Hmm... looked at the shots again.

Merit Prize Winner Tan Choon Lai's fireworks shot is better than the 2nd prize winner Ong Kian Chai's. And I still think my entry is better than Ong's. ;p

Cheong Kok Kheong and Tan Wee Pin's shots are similar. I don't see why BOTH should win at the same time.

And most of them Merits aren't very special.

Regards
CK

Yeah! I agree! I really still can't justify why the 2nd prize photo was picked. I feel some of the merits are definitly better! Juz my 2 cents;p

Originally posted by ninelives

show us yours lor. :devil:

Hheheheheehhe.. in slide form. You buy scanner for me, I show you :p

Originally posted by binbeto
I think theer is no point argueing since teh result is out.. The judges decision is final, isn't it?

I am sure the pic has their merits for being choosen out of the so many entries. The owner of those winning shots would have think that their work is the best.. Same goes to those that submitted.

The winner of those shot will be disappointed if they see this thread, bombarding how badly they have done or that they dun deserved it. Right?

The small print and the scan might not be accurate.. Soem photo look better when blow up to bigger size.. Some look "soft" when blow up to bigger size...

Just hope that this is going to be a yearly or biyearly event to generate more photography interest in S'pore.ot neccessaarily Merlion maybe other places of interest.

Still have to congrats the winner whether he see it here or not.

The thing is, putting my own entry aside, there are some merit prizes which should have made it to top 3, and some which doesn't deserve anything at all - case in point is the Dr Ng's.

I wonder on what basis are they judged - the criteria isn't even made known to us. And I still question the lack of overseas entries in the finalists since this is after all, an international comp. No way that out of 2000+ entries there are no overseas entries and they cannot be "not good enough".

Regards
CK

The thing is, putting my own entry aside, there are some merit prizes which should have made it to top 3, and some which doesn't deserve anything at all - case in point is the Dr Ng's.

I wonder on what basis are they judged - the criteria isn't even made known to us. And I still question the lack of overseas entries in the finalists since this is after all, an international comp. No way that out of 2000+ entries there are no overseas entries and they cannot be "not good enough".

Regards
CK

I am not too sure abt their criteria as well.. The 1st time I saw those shot is in a Chinese newspaper. Seem like every photos has some sort of narrative with it.. Not too sure the photographer or someone else added it... It actually explained the meaning of those shots.

Did you send in yours with narrative?

The reason why no overseas entries being selected might be becos not all overseas photographer would wanna travel to s'pore to take part...
How many of us will travel to US if the price of taking Status of Liberty is US$10k?

Who knows? The judge might be sway more towards "local talent"? :p

I am not too sure abt their criteria as well.. The 1st time I saw those shot is in a Chinese newspaper. Seem like every photos has some sort of narrative with it.. Not too sure the photographer or someone else added it... It actually explained the meaning of those shots.

Did you send in yours with narrative?

The reason why no overseas entries being selected might be becos not all overseas photographer would wanna travel to s'pore to take part...
How many of us will travel to US if the price of taking Status of Liberty is US$10k?

Who knows? The judge might be sway more towards "local talent"? :p

I'd travel to US if I stand a chance to win US$10k. :) I mean, I am sure there are lots of foreigners here, expats, tourists, etc. Surely they have some good shots.

The narratives are never asked for, I presume they were there after the contest, after the winners are interviewed. :)

Regards
CK

I'd travel to US if I stand a chance to win US$10k. :) I mean, I am sure there are lots of foreigners here, expats, tourists, etc. Surely they have some good shots.

The narratives are never asked for, I presume they were there after the contest, after the winners are interviewed. :)

Regards
CK

It's just a chance in a thousand (2 thousand , in fact).. U will spend 1-2K to travel there to take photos? You are a brave man. :)

If it's just expats and tourist, I am sure they are largely out-numbered. :)
However, I find it strange that no one from CS won anything.. Just a thought

Originally posted by wilkoh
Yeah! I agree! I really still can't justify why the 2nd prize photo was picked. I feel some of the merits are definitly better! Juz my 2 cents;p

I can't even justify why the first prize was picked. If these non-photographers chose the winners based on their feelings and they can't judge based on photographic merit, then the quality of the competition is moot. Kinda disheartening that STPB want to promote the merlion and yet the entire image is marred by these poorly taken pictures - esp the 10c worth image taken by the Doc as quoted by ckiang.. certainly doesn't bode well for the general photographer's image in Singapore..

My guess for the first pick is.. "Wow.. interesting angle! this guy so brave! went into the water! wow.. such initiative.. deserve first prize!"

It's just a chance in a thousand (2 thousand , in fact).. U will spend 1-2K to travel there to take photos? You are a brave man. :)

If it's just expats and tourist, I am sure they are largely out-numbered. :)
However, I find it strange that no one from CS won anything.. Just a thought

I need a holiday anyway. :)

Yeah, strange that no one from CS or even offstone got in. Strange. I am beginning to wonder if the judging is anonymous or not....

Regards
CK

why don't we write a protest letter to PSS ?
seriously... I think we should make note to them that I think it such a waste of money... and does not do any good to the photogrphy standard here as the quality of the shots isn't that good... but then.... for those who want to write or piggy back... PLEASE go and view the original prints......

Originally posted by Minority
Aiyah I should have submit mine... Sure winning shot

http://www.pbase.com/image/9338454

;)

I think some of them are really normal shots.. The 1st was pretty unique but the rest looks normal... I think the judges seems to like very wide angle shots.

that sure looks like a CGI, or an architect's artist impression. how was it done?

and that makes me wonder, if the judges considered photos that are digitally enhanced?...

Originally posted by sehsuan

that sure looks like a CGI, or an architect's artist impression. how was it done?

and that makes me wonder, if the judges considered photos that are digitally enhanced?...

Simply Photo Shop it!

http://www.pbase.com/minority/flood

I can cause a major flood all round singapore!

:)

Originally posted by sehsuan

Flaming Pear's flood plugin for photoshop.

some say the merlion is both - male upper body (lion with mane), female lower body (mermaid).

well, there isn't such a thing as a mermaid but lions do exist ...
so it could very well be a fish body below which could be of either sex...

so the merlion is more likely than not to be male.

no?

Originally posted by hyun
some say the merlion is both - male upper body (lion with mane), female lower body (mermaid).

well, there isn't such a thing as a mermaid but lions do exist ...
so it could very well be a fish body below which could be of either sex...

so the merlion is more likely than not to be male.

no?

Er, you lost me there.... :confused: :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.