Merlion park sunrise

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalilulelo

Jun 9, 2008
4008985328_b06e33c2f0_o.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?

Composition.
Is the picture too cluttered? Does the Merlion distracts the viewer from the sunrise? Should've I shot the Merlion and the sunrise separately?

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

A sunrise shot and give the viewer an idea where it was taken.

3. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

The Merlion's eye lines directs the viewer to the sunset.

you have answered your own question.
which is the main focal point of the picture? both the sunset and the merlion are competing for attention. plus the merlion is quite underexposed. maybe u should have made this into a HDR instead?

I think if you are trying to project a scene of Merlion looking at the Sunrise, I think is quite ok. Unfortunately those extra under construction IR get in the way. :)

newbie here.. but i love the photo, for most parts.. u've really captured the light of the sunrise very well.. and i dont think its cluttered, i like the look of the merlion during sunrise, although the merlion IS a tad underexposed, like mentioned.. have u processed this photo much already?

newbie here.. but i love the photo, for most parts.. u've really captured the light of the sunrise very well.. and i dont think its cluttered, i like the look of the merlion during sunrise, although the merlion IS a tad underexposed, like mentioned.. have u processed this photo much already?

yes I already tried brightening up the merlion. it's actually quite brighter when it's in Photoshop but I don't know why it gets dark when saved to jpeg.

yes I already tried brightening up the merlion. it's actually quite brighter when it's in Photoshop but I don't know why it gets dark when saved to jpeg.

i presume u didn't calibrate ur monitor? if u didn't, nxt time try looking at ur levels. gives u an indication of how under/over exposed ur photos are.

or u can always can spyder pro;)

Just to add a noob comment: The sunrise caught my attention first before merlion. :)

Merlion seems to be glowing.

gr8 pic. I think it's perfectly alright to have the merlion underexposed, but not to the extent that it merges with the building. So, it's either you learn to mask with precision or leave the merlion alone so that it will not "glow" :bsmilie:

fire a strobe with warming gel from the jetty might help ;)

tough exposure here.

i don't have any issue with the merlion and the sunrise. i have issue with the merlion blending with the development across the water. moving left from where you were would help with this.

and yes, the merlion is haloing. :)

Nice shot!
It can be argued that its cluttered, but to me its a fact. We can't move the IR.
I am drawn to 2 things. One being the orange hue of the sunrise. The other the slightly brighter Merlion. To me the picture gives the impression of the Merlion overlooking the sunrise, which is nice. Exposure wise, it might be the best that can be done for a single exposure shot. Perhaps using the 'black card' technique used for night photography can better balance the exposures (but talk is cheap, so perhaps I will go try it out myself one of these days ;) ). The other way is obviously flash. The Merlion glow is perhaps the only bad point for me.

I like it...:thumbsup: maybe next time you should take three exposures and combine them into 1...
1.5 years later you should go to the same location and take the same shot and you have before and after..

as for the caption ... I would perhaps use "the dawn of a new begining..."

Personally I like the picture, although the merlion is haloing. Like the sun rays piercing the clouds, which was what caught my attention first. The underexposed merlion is hard to save I think, giving that you are exposing for the sunrise. As for the developing IR, I find that they give a kind of contrast to the picture, not those kind of pictures for postcards but nevertheless shows a part of development in Singapore. I thought that the merlion could be more to the right to see the 3 towers in full view, instead of being 1/4 blocked by the merlion.

Status
Not open for further replies.