Merlion in HDR

ndut88

Jan 31, 2012
Singapore
1. In what area is critique to be sought?
composition, contrast and HDR pp

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Merlion as a tourist attraction of Singapore

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Normal Hall lighting
Hand held shoot during gloomy day. Using HDR option to take 3 pictures and blend in camera itself and enrich the color and contrast from Lightroom

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I find it okay or maybe the contrast is too strong?

7100652939_092535297e_c.jpg

i find the pot of flowers very distracting.

was it removable?

What form of critique will you be looking at?
1) HDR - not very good cos the sky and MBS almost the same color. as if its being merge together.
2) composition - can be better since you want to show Merlion, best to show the face.
3) contrast - still acceptable, cos the detail are there (the water base of the Merlion, the plant, etc)

Hi, thanks for the input. I just afraid that i overdid the HDR :)

I never tried to remove the pot as I'm just passing by and shoot :)

I'm afraid you did overdo your HDR a little. I think I would love to see more of the Merlion's head as opposed to it's back.
Just a suggestion - since this photo looks so much like a painting already because of it's colors, why not go all out and make it a painting? :)

broylim said:
I'm afraid you did overdo your HDR a little. I think I would love to see more of the Merlion's head as opposed to it's back.
Just a suggestion - since this photo looks so much like a painting already because of it's colors, why not go all out and make it a painting? :)

I'm trying to frame it with the mbs and the museum inside and to avoid crowd of people during that day perhaps its the best angle I can find :) as for the color,I'm not quite good to pp, just did some enchancement from lightroom :)

Basically you shouldn't worry about the colors and toning when the pic is... ask yourself if you've never seen the merlion, having viewed your photo, what would be the impression from that person? he would prob go what the #$#%# is that thing!

dennisc said:
Basically you shouldn't worry about the colors and toning when the pic is... ask yourself if you've never seen the merlion, having viewed your photo, what would be the impression from that person? he would prob go what the #$#%# is that thing!

As I've stated above that I was thinking of framing merlion with mbs and to avoid the crowd people into the frame. Maybe another angle of framing the front of merlion will also work . But thanks for the input, will try framing front view next time :)

Exposure/HDR wise, pretty well done. Not too heavy handed.
Framing wise, I think it needs more breathing space. Its too tight right now.
Somehow the tight framing and composition of the Merlion looking down on MBS does not work too well.
I get the feeling that there is a bit too much unrelated space to the front left (ie. pavement and stairs)

Aparts form what has been already mentioned, i think you did not shoot this in the best lighting conditions. Why don't you try shooting it at sunrise, around 6:54 to 7:15am? And shoot it from the viewing platform, with the maybank and fullerton behind it.

pinholecam said:
Exposure/HDR wise, pretty well done. Not too heavy handed.
Framing wise, I think it needs more breathing space. Its too tight right now.
Somehow the tight framing and composition of the Merlion looking down on MBS does not work too well.
I get the feeling that there is a bit too much unrelated space to the front left (ie. pavement and stairs)

Now that you mention about the space, I totally agree. Will carefully take a note on that. Thanks

daredevil123 said:
Aparts form what has been already mentioned, i think you did not shoot this in the best lighting conditions. Why don't you try shooting it at sunrise, around 6:54 to 7:15am? And shoot it from the viewing platform, with the maybank and fullerton behind it.

I'm a west sider with no transportation support (though this isn't suppoesd to be an issue :-S).
I was just passing by and its around 4 in the noon when i took this shot, probably will go for the best timing on my next shooting. Thanks for the input :)

Jason Wu said:
the whole picture is great, minus the pot of plant. which appears to be cropped off very awkwardly.

Thanks for the input, will take note on compo next time when taking shots :)

Composition

Sometime with a little adjustment/cropping to the photo may produce good composition. But if you shoot from the Merlion's rear view with the heading "Merlion" not a good idea. Let me explain, if I took a photo of ndut88 from behind and post it on the Internet and ask for comments, in a Asia culture not so nice. No comments available for composition.

Contrast and Color

Very simple use your FOC eye given from your parents, is color and contrast nature to your eye. I strongly agreed that you have the answer by now and in the future, and this rule can apply to any other HDR photo.:)

SilverPine said:
Composition

Sometime with a little adjustment/cropping to the photo may produce good composition. But if you shoot from the Merlion's rear view with the heading "Merlion" not a good idea. Let me explain, if I took a photo of ndut88 from behind and post it on the Internet and ask for comments, in a Asia culture not so nice. No comments available for composition.

Contrast and Color

Very simple use your FOC eye given from your parents, is color and contrast nature to your eye. I strongly agreed that you have the answer by now and in the future, and this rule can apply to any other HDR photo.:)

Ahh, I get what you meant now, will take note on shooting from behind. Thanks for the comments shi fu :)

Framing seems too tight. More space to the left and right of the frame might work better.

:) Keep Shooting.

Not bad, i like the angle; never saw the Merlion this way..

Thanks for dropping by and input, will try to improve next time :)

Well personally i think its a good experiment. trying out an angle that no one had taken before.
Obviously, a lot people are all taking the same angle that every others are taking.

Keep trying and you may discover your style of shooting.
:))