Merger of Hoya + Pentax

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
Pentax has been merged with Hoya who is the dominant partner in the merger.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1166796959.html

A table shows net income of Pentax seems to be less than 1/10 that of Hoya, unless I don't understand the figures or read wrongly.

pentaxhoya.jpg

you're right. Hoya's figures are gorgeous compared to pentax's

Pentax is presently a niche market whereas Hoya is one of the main leaders in filters offering a wide range to cater to all market segments. That means larger market share and of course, greater turnover and revenue.

Pentax is presently a niche market whereas Hoya is one of the main leaders in filters offering a wide range to cater to all market segments. That means larger market share and of course, greater turnover and revenue.

Hoya's fortune comes not from filters alone.
They are a big glass maker in Japan.
People's lenses are made from Hoya glass.

agreed, that two pieces of plastic stuck on my face have always been made by Hoya.

Since Tokina has collaborated with Pentax (notably on the 10-17mm fisheye) and Hoya produces glass for Tokina and Tamron, let's hope that there will be more 3rd party lenses available for Pentax. For a start, all the Tokina AT-X range should be rebadged as Pentax...:bsmilie:

Since Tokina has collaborated with Pentax (notably on the 10-17mm fisheye) and Hoya produces glass for Tokina and Tamron, let's hope that there will be more 3rd party lenses available for Pentax. For a start, all the Tokina AT-X range should be rebadged as Pentax...:bsmilie:

80-400mm!:heart: :heart: :heart:

A UK magazine said Pentax was sold (oops---merged) for only $770,000. Presume that is in US $. Is that a typo?
If it is not a typo by the magazine then, it is very little, a pittance for such a big company with an esteemed history.
Even 1 unit of condominium in fancy Orchard Road address cost more than that. Some cars driven around Singapore like Ferrari or Lamborghini cost more than that.

That may mean that the company was not doing too well.
Hoya was the white knight.

A UK magazine said Pentax was sold (oops---merged) for only $770,000. Presume that is in US $. Is that a typo?
If it is not a typo by the magazine then, it is very little, a pittance for such a big company with an esteemed history.
Even 1 unit of condominium in fancy Orchard Road address cost more than that. Some cars driven around Singapore like Ferrari or Lamborghini cost more than that.

That may mean that the company was not doing too well.
Hoya was the white knight.

typo?

http://www.popphoto.com/photonews/3553/pentax-hoya-to-merge.html

"Pentax has reached an agreement to merge with the Hoya Corporation, the largest Japanese optical-glass maker. Hoya is buying Pentax for $765 million, and the merger should be completed by October 2007."

The current edition of What Digital Camera Magazine must have a typo then.

Latest news is, Pentax president Fumio Urano will resign to take responsibility for an internal conflict over a planned merger Hoya. He took the initiative to push for the merger with Hoya, but some directors at Pentax are reportedly unhappy with the merger plan.

Hoya was considering launching a tender offer for Pentax instead of a merger through a share swap.

http://au.biz.yahoo.com/070409/33/16m6v.html

Free Hoya filter set (everything) with every Pentax lens! Good idea! <3 <3
:bsmilie:

Now with the K10D and reputation being restored, I think Pentax is wondering if they need Hoya to help ride out the competition and I think they do. Olympus has launched their K100D and K10D reponses and they not only have stablised CCD , they also have anti-dust too.
I think it won't be long before Nikon follow suit.
Canon should be reluctant as they worry who will pay $$$ to buy their stabilised lenses if their sensor can do it...

I think it won't be long before Nikon follow suit.
Canon should be reluctant as they worry who will pay $$$ to buy their stabilised lenses if their sensor can do it...
I thought Nikon also has VR lenses? :bsmilie:

But yeah, I think that's the main reason for Canon and Nikon not to follow suit, the $ in IS lenses is way too yummy to pass up!

what is the implication (product-wise) to the success/failure of Hoya+Pentax merger?

I would understand that originally Pentax has financial difficulties, hence the
seeking of a white knight.
Furthermore, R&D and competition in the digital arena is too competitive.

Seeing Panasonic and Sony emerging in the DSLR horizon with collaborations
with marquee German brands. Canon and Nikon are still very strong in DSLR offerings.

We know Pentax is not only a 35mm company, it has ventured into 645, 6x7 and
remarkable lens design in medium format arena.

However, coupled with consolidation, absorption (Konica-Minolta -> Sony), exiting film companies (Agfa, Konica), can Pentax survive and emerge triumphant in the digital onslaught.

K10D is indeed a breadth of fresh air for serious enthusiast with weather seals,
SR, ... reasonably cheap price,
and an army of limited edition fixed lens, if enthusiast is concern about
image quality.

In fact, I like the design concept of these two bodies: Panasonic L1 and K10D alot....
and I wish them well.

I guess Pentax just want a better price (for the merger) after the recent sales of K10D/K100D :)

Status
Not open for further replies.