Mercury batt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

I_AM

hi all.

where can i buy mercury batts for my old rangefinders?

cheers,
i_am

which rangefinder are u using? some can use alkaline batt.

mine's a old Fujica GEr

cheers

I think Mercury batteries are no longer available locally due to environmental concerns. Have you tried searching for other equivalents of the same form factor?

I bought quite a number of mercury batteries (px625 and px675)for my Canonet QL17 GIII and Konica auto S3 from px625.com.

The batteries are the original ex-stock and cost quite a bit, something like S$10 a piece. Maybe you can convert one to your size by putting in some fillers in the space. Alkaline batteries would give you a different meter reading if the battery is only for the meter. I can't remember which battery (alkaline or Zinc Oxide) that don't have a linear voltage through the battery life and you might get different meter readings when it is fresh or when it is going dead. Old cameras are not designed to compensate for that.

Originally posted by glchua
I bought quite a number of mercury batteries (px625 and px675)for my Canonet QL17 GIII and Konica auto S3 from px625.com.

The batteries are the original ex-stock and cost quite a bit, something like S$10 a piece. Maybe you can convert one to your size by putting in some fillers in the space. Alkaline batteries would give you a different meter reading if the battery is only for the meter. I can't remember which battery (alkaline or Zinc Oxide) that don't have a linear voltage through the battery life and you might get different meter readings when it is fresh or when it is going dead. Old cameras are not designed to compensate for that.

You can still get Varta PX625 batteries in Singapore at about $5 ea. SL Tower basement battery shop. **** Chew is the name.

I'm not so sure about the Varta ones. I remember many of the shops recommended to me when I was looking for the batteries were selling px625 SUBSTITUTES, alkaline batteries actually. Make sure you check the label carefully, I almost bought these substitutes from Ruby last year until I read the label.
These mercury batteries used to be around a few years ago in Indonesia and Malaysia but I think no longer there even. I knew of a Canonet user getting it from his Indonesian friend.

I'm not so sure about the Varta ones. I remember many of the shops recommended to me when I was looking for the batteries were selling px625 SUBSTITUTES, alkaline batteries actually. Make sure you check the label carefully, I almost bought these substitutes from Ruby last year until I read the label.
These mercury batteries used to be around a few years ago in Indonesia and Malaysia but I think no longer there even. I knew of a Canonet user getting it from his Indonesian friend.

"Mercury" for sure, bud. $5 at SL Tower. I have been buying them every year. Just did last week. Same place same guy ;-)

Thanks! I'll go and have a look!

Thanks! I'll go and have a look!

Please do. Don't ever listen to people who work at camera stores. They generally do not know anything about strange batteries like these. ;-)

BTW, it's the basement shop next to the escalator - you can't miss it. They largely sell only all sorts of batteries and soldering supplies.

I saw some PX625 at Alex Photos in Peninsula Plaza last Saturday.

Hope that helps....

Status
Not open for further replies.