'Meow..'

jueming

Dec 15, 2007
166681_480144845668_678375668_6005396_4356658_n.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, exposure, cropping and etc...

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
What lies behind the barbed wire fence

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Taken at a Ferry Terminal @ Langkawi
Setting is F5.6, 1/200, ISO-2000

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like the framing of the focus on the cat eye within one unit of the fence

Thank a lot for viewing.

Not much of technical nitpick, but I would have done this in bnw, because the cat seemed to me to have a sinister look which I would have felt better brought out by a bnw treatment.

Hey The Moving Chair.

Thanks for the comment. I have done it in bnw. What do you think?

168319_489481675668_678375668_6135755_479867_n.jpg

Last edited:
seems like you have recovered some highlights, which is good...

Great that you take the effort to try the bnw version. I agree and I think the bnw version looks better. Just to add on, you can try up the contrast a bit more, see if the effect is to your like. Personally I'm one who goes for pretty high contrast in my bnw. Ultimately, its a personal choice, its not my shot.

Seriously,
not much of a diff.

The expression of the cat fits the mood.. which is good.

A shallower DOF might work better. :)

Cheers

I much prefer the BnW treatment.
Nice capture.

The fencing is a huge spoiler though.
You managed to separate the background with thin DOF, but the fence.... :think:

Seriously,
not much of a diff.

I understand what you mean, after relooking again at the coloured and the bnw version. For me, what I find is that the colour of the fence took attention away from the gaze of the cat. To me the green was a tad too strong, so it lessen the gaze. What make the two versions appear to have not much of a diff, is that the contrast in the bnw version is still not strong enough.

Nice capture.

I believe from what TS describe, he has frame within a frame in mind when he composed this shot. I'm not sure if I'd compose it this way because part of the fence was a solid piece of metal cutting diagonally across the frame, which for me, spoils the photo.

The blue background with the green fence, took too much away from my eyes in the coloured version, hence I thought the bnw was better.

Seriously,
not much of a diff.

I understand what you mean, after relooking again at the coloured and the bnw version. For me, what I find is that the colour of the fence took attention away from the gaze of the cat. To me the green was a tad too strong, so it lessen the gaze. What make the two versions appear to have not much of a diff, is that the contrast in the bnw version is still not strong enough.

Hey,

I understand what you guys mean.. even though the bnw version took away the strong colour of the fence, but the bar of the fence across the pic is still there distracting the overall photo. I personally think that the bnw version bring out more of the focus and details on the cats face. I will try the bnw version with a higher contrast to see if its better =)
cheers

Love the eyes ;)

Hey derrickder,

Thanks for the like~ =)

The expression of the cat fits the mood.. which is good.

A shallower DOF might work better. :)

Cheers

Nice capture.

Hey,

Thanks for the comments! =)

I get wat u guys meant. I think the fence across the photo is quite a big distraction to the photos. Will keep it in mind abt the DOF and will carry on taking nicer photos. Thanks =)

Last edited:
seems like you have recovered some highlights, which is good...

Hey

Thanks for the comments~
I like the bnw version as well as it brings out the focus and the details on the cat expression. =)

The fence. No reason to lock the cute little kitty behind bars :)