Memory Stick Pro: Good Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowspeeder

Feb 16, 2004
www.themenatwork.com
Hi, though of getting a memory stick. Got a quote for the Sony MagicGate Memory Stick Pro 256 MB at S$158.00. Is this a good buy? It seems to have a fast write speed. How much is the retail price btw, can't find it on sony online. Comments?

The retail price selling online for Sony MagicGate Memory Stick Pro 256 MB is S$194.00.

Not sure whether is t a good buy, you may check around Sim Lim or CP.

I will only use the Magic Gate if i am taking MPEG video using F828 cos it enhance a better video quality than CF card.

Eastgear has Lexar & SanDisk 256Mb MS Pro listed at $125.

I am using the $125 Lexar one. No problems so far.

I was told that it is actually the same as the one made by Sony, as Lexar got theirs from Sony. Not sure if this is true but the stick says "Made in Japan". The SanDisk ones are Made in China. Lexar one for 5 year warranty

slowmail said:
Eastgear has Lexar & SanDisk 256Mb MS Pro listed at $125.

Is the Lexar/Sandisk MS Pro compatible with the F828? Performance similar to Sony's MS Pro?

Thought of getting the Sandisk Ultra 512 or the Lexar 40X 512, but the thing is that Sony's write speed is limited to 2 MB/sec, and also it does not support Lexar's WA technology. Hence, my attention was shifted to MS Pro. Is this a good idea?

Of course it would be better to have another memory stick around; together with CF card inside F828.
Just in case there is important moment to shot, and when you see "OUT OF MEMORY: in the CF card, we still got memory stick as backup to the job.

King Tiger said:
Of course it would be better to have another memory stick around; together with CF card inside F828.
Just in case there is important moment to shot, and when you see "OUT OF MEMORY: in the CF card, we still got memory stick as backup to the job.

Agree that it's better to have another MS. Since F828 has dual-memory slots, why not make use of it?

there are so many variation of MS like MS DUO, MS PRO, MS PRO DUO etc.
Are they all compatible with 1 another or we need to see what our device use only?

kohweekuan said:
there are so many variation of MS like MS DUO, MS PRO, MS PRO DUO etc.
Are they all compatible with 1 another or we need to see what our device use only?

You need to check to see which cards are supported by your device. Newer models have no problems with the MS Pro cards.

MS Duo is a just smaller version of the MS - an adaptor can be used to fit it into a normal MS slot.

imaginary_number said:
You need to check to see which cards are supported by your device. Newer models have no problems with the MS Pro cards.

MS Duo is a just smaller version of the MS - an adaptor can be used to fit it into a normal MS slot.

Thanks! :D

Check out Alan Photo.
You can get a better deal there. ;)
Just bought a 256 Sony MSPro from there last week.

King Tiger said:
How much you bought ??

Last week went to AP, he quoted me $145 for the SONY 256MB PRO, $185 for 256MB PRO DUO, and over $400 for 512MB PRO. Nearly wanted to buy, but I remembered somewhere selling 512MB PRO for $255.

Memory card prices drop like crazy. 6 months ago, I paid nearly $200 for 512MB, now for $140 can buy one already....

Better buy now before the prices go up again. Memory prices fluctuate a lot, like stock market.

I may intend to go for a holiday in Aug(National Day period), so I may want to buy memory stick as additional back up to my CF card in F828.
Where is the best lobang to buy memory stick? Best price and value for money brand?
Is it at East Gear?

King Tiger said:
I may intend to go for a holiday in Aug(National Day period), so I may want to buy memory stick as additional back up to my CF card in F828.
Where is the best lobang to buy memory stick? Best price and value for money brand?
Is it at East Gear?

So far for MS PRO, I only know of East Gear. Glad that I had both the MS PRO and the CF card in my 828, switching from one to the other only takes a second.

Any idea what's the difference in speed between the Lexar MS Pro, Sandisk MS Pro and Sandisk Ultra II MS Pro? Is there a similiar 2Mb/s speed limit for the Sony W1 like the F808?

Status
Not open for further replies.