Memory Management - CF cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

peepeedog

Jun 16, 2006
www.clickbangwhirl.com
Hello everyone, I'd just like to find out how everyone here, both professional and amateur, handle their CF cards either when they're out on a job or out traveling. I have 2 x 2GB CF cards and they're obviously not enough when i'm out on assignment - even if i shoot Fine JPEGs.

I usually bring my 17" laptop around, both on assignment (leave in the car) and when i'm traveling (leave in hotel) and when my CFs are full i bring them back and load them up. However i feel this is an inefficient way, as i may fill up the CFs while i'm on the road and not have enough space for critical shots. This is especially true when i'm shooting RAW all the time.

So i came up with a few solutions:
1) Nexto portable harddrive that has a dedicated CF card slot - ~600 SGD , 80GB
2) Epson P5000, same as above albeit more expensive with a 4" LCD viewing screen ~900SGD, 80GB
3) Kohjinsha - one of the new UMPCs, also with dedicated CF. Screen size is 7" ~1.4k, 80GB
4) Buy many many many CFs, or 2 x 8GB

All these are small enough to fit into a camera bag, even the UMPC. I use a crumpler 7 mil. The kohjinsha is very attractive as it has everything a laptop has. Wireless, bluetooth, CF, runs on windows vista etc. Imagine bringing that small beast for travelling!

Just like to know how everyone else does it. Thanks! :D

How will you fit the Kohjinsha into the 7mdh? In the front pocket? My father just bought one and is bringing it home tonight, so I'll try :)
Actually, solutions 1 + 3+ 4 sound good to me.
I used to bring compactdrive out with me, but now I just go out with 2gb + 8gb card, and its enough for what I do (I don't even fill the 8gb card). Bringing a laptop is good if you're going to be away for a while, but holding this all in a sling bag hurts back and shoulder after a while. I think that more CFs is lightest, get a CF wallet and put them all in. But the little beast also sounds good (then you won't need the Nexto or Epson).

thanks!

I guess more CFs are lighter and cheaper, but you wouldn't be able to view photos on the go.

I have this nasty habit of comparing prices. 80 is near 100 so why not get the 100. 100 is near 140 so why not get the 140 if it's better. and it goes on and on until i realize it's nowhere near my starting price. then i start to convince myself why the more expensive one is better :bsmilie:

I'm borrowing my friend's KJS (kohjinsha) and will give it a field test in HK. Let you guys know how it goes :D

just get more CF, the are the cheapest option and also probably the safest way...
and also nexto i believe can be gotten at about $200 + probably a 120gb HDD at $100+ from SLS...
Epson? at that price i rather get the Asus Eee, cheaper, more powerful, bigger screen... but heavier.

just get another 2 * 4gb ..

thanks!

I guess more CFs are lighter and cheaper, but you wouldn't be able to view photos on the go.

I have this nasty habit of comparing prices. 80 is near 100 so why not get the 100. 100 is near 140 so why not get the 140 if it's better. and it goes on and on until i realize it's nowhere near my starting price. then i start to convince myself why the more expensive one is better :bsmilie:

I'm borrowing my friend's KJS (kohjinsha) and will give it a field test in HK. Let you guys know how it goes :D

I'm the same, started looking at mobile phones the other day, started at the cheapest, most basic phone, then slowly worked my way up in features and prices "just pay a bit more, can have this feature", up and up until I was at smart phones. Then at the end I decided that I should save my money alltogether!

just get another 2 * 4gb ..

Buy more CF cards... they are just like rolls of film... just need to check how many more before you change the cards...

I 2nd the notion of buying more cards... Imagine your portable whatever it is fails towards the end of your long trip. Omg. :bsmilie:

I was in the same plight as you before. In the end, I reckoned that buying more memory cards as a cheaper option and more convenient as compared to lugging my laptop and paying more $$$ on Nexto.

I carry 2 x 2GB and 1 x 4GB CF Card.. Should be more than enough. If not then more CF cards lor. My worry is more of battery. Bring 2 x Batts. Should be enough for a day.

Dad just brought home the kohjinsha yesterday.
I'm quite impressed about it and would choose it (120gb) over the Nexto or the Epson, as you can also use it to play internet :D hoho
I'll still go with just getting more memory cards though :)

More CF cards... and usually i cap the capacity of the card to the lifespan of 1 x battery. I don't suppose you'll be bring a grip for travelling since thats the more memory consuming one...

for my e-510 i cap at 4GB cause shooting in raw+jpeg i'll prob run flat when it hits the 300 mark. Time to change everything at once...

Also this give u the options to load into your laptop while you're covering events so your buddy can help you do processing or even run it at the screen for viewing already...

i second yaplapball's fear of the portable harddisk failing at the end of the trip... even at home i have a backup for my backup HDD... they can fail anytime... :eek:

hi does anyone here do archiving of images by DVD? coz a dvd is like 4gb may just be good enough for 2 CF or 1x4gb cf.

i used dvds to archive my images. was lucky cos i got a harddisk crash not long after i started and i saved almost all my pics. I arranged my pics into folders that are sized to fit onto a DvD (i.e. each folder contains up to ~4.4GB worth of images) to facilitate archival and restoration.

hi does anyone here do archiving of images by DVD? coz a dvd is like 4gb may just be good enough for 2 CF or 1x4gb cf.

I do.... I normally archive them by date. So I will have an idea of where my pictures are just by the dates taken.

Since you have 17" laptop already, the cheapest way is to get extra CF card, but if you really want convenient, UMPC seem to be a good choice.
just get more CF, the are the cheapest option and also probably the safest way...
and also nexto i believe can be gotten at about $200 + probably a 120gb HDD at $100+ from SLS...
Epson? at that price i rather get the Asus Eee, cheaper, more powerful, bigger screen... but heavier.
Asus's Eee PC memory is too small for photo storage though, only 8Gbyte max :sweat:

thanks guys for all the helpful replies..

some updates.

I'm staring at the Kohjinsha right now. Really small and compact for a full fledge PC, with dedicated CF and SD slot. The model i have is the older one with 30 gb. It's definitely small enough for a crumpler 7 mil, i stuffed it in one of the sides (removed the small partitioning). Transfer rate isn't that great, and insufficient ram causes the OS to run really slowly while transferring.

The small form factor is definitely a plus, and definitely great for travel or assignments.

buy more CF cards, otherwise a portable storage device is more than sufficient.

or just be more selective of what you shoot.

i would take 1200 divide by 70 ( 2gb exterme3) thats about 17 cards
17 2gb makes about 34 gb.
make 2 separate pouch for used and unused cards and Wooohoooo u have 34gb on the move

i would take 1200 divide by 70 ( 2gb exterme3) thats about 17 cards
17 2gb makes about 34 gb.
make 2 separate pouch for used and unused cards and Wooohoooo u have 34gb on the move
but you can't surf net, preview/edit.. etc photos, watch movie, chat messenger... etc on the move. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.