Memory cards and lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Witness

Mar 18, 2004
www.maverickatwork.com
Hi all....after much procrastination, i guess i finally gettin a DSLR....probably the d70....got some questions...

1) do i really need the kit lens??? i got my 50mm prime, 28-80 and a 100-

2) wat memory card(s) should i get....i guess i want about 1GB??? heard tt can take like 140 raw on this??? budget one....was thinkin of getting microdrives???coz they are cheap???

thanks for the info....

heard the kit lens for D70 is worth keeping. its actually pretty good. besides, shld u sell it in the future, a D70 with kit lens shld be much easier to sell then just the body alone.

as for the CF cards, really depends on wat ur shooting. if u take action shots, a microdrive might not be fast enuf to write all the data in b4 ur cam runs out of buffer space. also, write speeds are also slower if u only shoot RAW. a high-speed CF card, like lexar 1GB 40x WA, is better. however, if the opposite is true and u dun shoot much RAW, a mircodrive is a great buy.... if u can find them! since creative tweaked their muvo2, the supply of 4GB MDs have dried up. u might be able to find some old ones here or on yahoo!auctions.

check eastgear.com for CF prices. a 4GB MD, the last time i bought, was going for $390.

I assume you came from film bodies? If so, you'll find that your 28-80 will not be wide enough on a D70. With a 1.5x crop, it will become 42-120. That's where the kit lens (18-70) will become useful. It will become an equivalent 27-105, a nice (and low cost) replacement for your 28-80. Of course there is every chance you may want to get something better later, like the 17-55. But thus far, the resale market for the kit lens is not bad, and you should not have much problem selling it later.

yup....after much discussion wif a friend...and reading all ya comments....i have decided to keep the kit ....heard tt the 18mm is true 18mm....its been compensated for the cropping factor already...so it stays 18 ya...

28-80 will become 42-120....so probably i will use it as a low end telezoom...haha....love the lens lo... f2.8 le

as for memory....perhaps a 1gb 30x cf card....should be ard 250 ya...tt's my budget....if goin overseas then buy or rent the 4gb MD.....so how many raw photos can a 1gb take??? and how many shots can the d70 batt last???

juz some bugging questions...haha....thanks ppl..

Witness said:
as for memory....perhaps a 1gb 30x cf card....should be ard 250 ya...tt's my budget....if goin overseas then buy or rent the 4gb MD.....so how many raw photos can a 1gb take??? and how many shots can the d70 batt last???

juz some bugging questions...haha....thanks ppl..

i dunno abt D70. but on my 300D with my previous MD, it can take abt 500+ RAW files (RAW + Medium Fine JPG thumbnail). read ur manual, it shld show u wat the average size of nikon's RAW file. then, its a simple maths problem!

btw, if u hurry, there's a guy selling his 4GB MD in buy/sell. a rare item nowadays becos of creative.... sigh... :cry:

eh....y izit a rare item???

a 1gb 30x cf card should be ard 250 rite.....then a 1gb microdrive???? i tink get a cf card first...then microdrive later on then buy as back up..

Witness said:
eh....y izit a rare item???

a 1gb 30x cf card should be ard 250 rite.....then a 1gb microdrive???? i tink get a cf card first...then microdrive later on then buy as back up..

blame creative... hahaha... people have been buying muvo2 for ages to strip it of its 4GB MD. but, they disabled the CF function of the MD in the latest batches of muvo2. so now, anyone selling the 4GB MD is from the old batches. buying a new 4GB MD is going to cost u ard $1k+.... :faint:

there's no 1GB MD, i think. the other brand of MD is the magicstore 2.2GB MD, available at eastgear.com. if u can, buy the 4GB MD becos its real value for money. however, really depends on wat u shoot and wat format u're shooting in., as mentioned earlier. ;)

me...i do events and portraits...i tink for the portraits side a MD can still suffice....events then i will whip out the cf...

2.2gb MD is how much??

Witness said:
me...i do events and portraits...i tink for the portraits side a MD can still suffice....events then i will whip out the cf...

2.2gb MD is how much??

oh yeah, dats abt right. a high-speed CF is definitely a good idea for events. 2.2GB Magicstore at eastgear is going for $350+, i think. check out their website, www.eastgear.com for the latest pricings. its only $20 cheaper than the buy/sell guy. ;)

but, be careful using the MD? since its nothing more than a very small hdd, it doesn't like going for airborne courses..... :bsmilie:

yup.....tt one i wont get so soon...if the 1gb cf can already last me 500 shots....probably if i got overseas then i will get the micro drive....or i can always go back to film...haha...spent so much time studying film lo haha....attachment...

if not for some of my needs and the increasing costs of overheads...dun tink i will move to digital too...

nightwolf75 said:
i dunno abt D70. but on my 300D with my previous MD, it can take abt 500+ RAW files (RAW + Medium Fine JPG thumbnail). read ur manual, it shld show u wat the average size of nikon's RAW file. then, its a simple maths problem!

btw, if u hurry, there's a guy selling his 4GB MD in buy/sell. a rare item nowadays becos of creative.... sigh... :cry:

I use RAW+Small on a 500MB CF and I can get about 80 images at ISO100 on my 10D. Higher ISO will give u less images. I doubt you can get 500+ on 1GB. Don't forget RAW files are abt 6MB/image on a 6MP cam.
One thing about MD is they use more power than CF.

Newman said:
I use RAW+Small on a 500MB CF and I can get about 80 images at ISO100 on my 10D. Higher ISO will give u less images. I doubt you can get 500+ on 1GB. Don't forget RAW files are abt 6MB/image on a 6MP cam.
One thing about MD is they use more power than CF.

i was referring to the capacity on my 4GB MD. if i remember correctly, its abt 530+ shots. now with my 1GB Lexar 40x WA, it averages abt 100+ shots depending on settings.

sold off my 4GB recently to buy a new lens. ;)

Witness - A 1GB card can store about 190 NEF Files on the D70 (compressed raw). The cheapest 1GB card I saw is the Hagiwara card at $275 at EASTGEAR. And the 18-70 kit lens has not been compensated for the crop factor. So it will become an equivalent of 27-105.

Where can you get a 1GB CF for $250 brand new?
The cheapest one i have seen is $127 for a no-brand samsung chips for 512MB.

Just add another $100+ or so and go for the Lexar WA 40x 1GB.. very good card, with lifetime warranry somemore. Comes with Jumpshot USB cable and ImageRescue

The Hagiwara I saw is the "normal" one. Don't know what is the exact speed. I find it good enough for me as a hobbyist.

hmmmm i shoot events..so far wif film...no bufferin no nuttin..so i guess i need at least 20 - 30x....the price of a 40x is a little steep for me to start off wif

The D70 has a buffer of four shots for raw and I think (can't quite remember) about 9 shots for JPEG Fine. Will that buffer your needs for a faster card? Why don't you pop over to EastGear and see if they are willing to lend you a "normal" card and a "fast" card and see for yourself whether how important the write speed is. For my own hobbyist needs, storage per megabyte is more important, so I chose the "normal" card. I don't go for solutions with moving parts even though they are even cheaper. Call me KS, but somehow I feel safer using solid state devices.

I heard from Sam at John 3:16 yesterday that a faster card will have a difference in speed compared to a normal card, but its not significant at all. That's in the camera, because it all depends on the camera's write speed to card. But on transfer from CF card, that's where the difference is...

Status
Not open for further replies.