Memory card speeds

texasrs

Oct 1, 2005
What are the speeds of the memory cards are you using? Is it really necessary to get class 6 or even class 10 cards or simply a waste of $$$? Sometimes I feel that a class 4 is enough, unless one does not let go of the shutter, class 6 iteself could already be overkill.

What are the speeds of the memory cards are you using? Is it really necessary to get class 6 or even class 10 cards or simply a waste of $$$? Sometimes I feel that a class 4 is enough, unless one does not let go of the shutter, class 6 iteself could already be overkill.
it depends on the read/write speed of the camera....a spec that need to dig very deep to get.

go to RG's website, he has a comprehensive list on card's speeds. :) As for me, I prefer to buy something not overly slow, and not blazing fast... somwhere in between where the price/performance ratio is the highest :)

Usually it's more for video or maybe continuous (raw) shots. I believe there should be some mention of it in the manual.

They will just recommend the various classes. Thing is in the manual or online....there is no mention of just how fast the camera reads from or writes to the memory card or even just how much and how fast the buffer ram is.

If want to be sure...get the cards that are one step below UDMA if the camera does not support UDMA though in some cases might be overkill.

I use mostly class 6 cards, occasionally do multi shots in raw but that is probably less than 5% of the time. Maybe I can do some tests on my D90 to see whether a class 4 will be the best bang for the buck for me.

On my 6mp D40, i used a class 4 until last week, and "downgraded" to a class 2. I did not feel any difference. Maybe because the file sizes are small anyway, or maybe the processing speed of a d40 is so slow, it doesnt make a difference which class of cards i used.

High speed cards are probably more useful if you shoot in bursts or RAW exclusively...

I find the Sandisk Ultra sufficient for my current usage on my Canon 500D. (stated as Class 4 SDHC)

Was using it for 2 days of heavy video-work, shooting at 720p. Could easily hit the 20-30 min mark in 1 single take. Ended up with 4-5hours worth of footage to edit. Pengz... 44GB of video....

Lesser known brands of memory cards may also state Class 4 but I believe their read/write speed could be lower.

For me i can't be bother as i seldom shoot it in burst or dun do any sports/action either..
Will recom class 4 for normal day to day use. :)

i remember reading somewhere that Class 2 = minimum 2MB/s read/write speed, Class 4 = min 4MB/s n so on...

guess what memory card speed is needed depends on a) file size, b) FPS & c) camera buffer?

for small files (i.e., 2MB), Class 2 is already good enough for normal use & occasional burst.

for larger files (i.e., 8-10MB), Class 4 may be more ideal for normal use & class 6 to 10 if u shoot burst modes or video?