Memory Card speed MB/s and FPS performance

Joshelerry

Apr 5, 2013
Singapore
Hi can anyone advise as currently I'm shooting at 6fps RAW on FF and using 60MB/s card.
Are we getting 6fps? Or is there a degradation due to card speed?

Any point to note for getting right card for burst shooting of RAW and/or jpg
What speed is min for future higher burst rate of 8-10fps in RAW/jpg

You can get the 6FPS Raw using any card. The main issue is after the 6 shots, how fast the buffer can be written into the card. That said, I'm quite comfortable with using the 60mb/s card (coupled with my 5d3 cont. shooting). I can get about 15-16 shots before I need to wait for the buffer to clear up.

If you want those high write to card ones, you will really need to look at those Sandisk 150mb/s or Lexar 1000x. I'm not sure how fast those write.

Hi can anyone advise as currently I'm shooting at 6fps RAW on FF and using 60MB/s card.
Are we getting 6fps? Or is there a degradation due to card speed?

Any point to note for getting right card for burst shooting of RAW and/or jpg
What speed is min for future higher burst rate of 8-10fps in RAW/jpg

Getting the rated fps depends on a few factors I can think of:

1. RAW/JPEG file type. Usually RAW files are bigger and hence # of shots until buffer full is typically less than JPEGs
2. ISO speed used. A lower ISO filesize is typically smaller than a higher ISO image which is noisier, and the imaging engine within the camera may need more effort to process the file.
3. Speed of memory card. Use cards that match up to the rated specs of the camera. No point wasting $ to buy the fastest card only to know the camera is the bottleneck.
4. Speed of host device, in this case how fast the camera empties its internal buffers to the card
5. Shutter speed, if you are firing at a slow shutter speed, can't expect it to get its rated fps
6. Burst mode may be slower with AF/AE enabled. Some cameras feature focus-priority while some can switch to release priority.
7. It is usually good practice not to fill up the card as writing speeds may become slower

Last edited: