Memory card makers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo

Sep 1, 2004
Blue/Green Planet
Hello each,

A question that I put in the Fuji forum, but it does not seem to be too active.
Goes like this :-

Out of interest, I have been told that there are only 3 makers of all the memory cards.
One of them being Sandisk.
A point in this direction is, I have stocks of XD cards from Sandisk in Sandisk boxes,
but the cards have the usual Fuji logo etc on them.

Does anyone have views on this :dunno:

mpenza

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
no major surprise. There're lots of "oem" around. for eg, Lexar SD cards used to use Panasonic chips. also, the proprietary batteries used in different brands of cameras are probably made by a few OEMs.

HeWolf

Feb 25, 2003
Punggol 21
Visit site
May have some link: I think only Fujifilm and Olympus developed and use xD card format. Hence may be (I guess) sandisk produces the card under Fuji licience.

Pablo

Sep 1, 2004
Blue/Green Planet
HeWolf said:
May have some link: I think only Fujifilm and Olympus developed and use xD card format. Hence may be (I guess) sandisk produces the card under Fuji licience.
Hi HeWolf,
Yes I believe that is true. ( I don't think either Fuji or Olympus actually maunfacture cards).
I think (I have no advice on this) that another manufacturer of cards is Verbatim. :think:
What my guess is; as there are dozens of brand names for say CF cards and SD cards.
That some of the cheaper more obscure name cards, that have slower times and appear less reliable,
may be stocks of cards made by say the big three and don't meet their final test criteria :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom