Memory Card for Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpioh

Jul 17, 2007
Woodlands
As a continuation to the "Lens for Winter" thread, may I know if there are any issues with SD cards? I am currently using the sandisk ultra II's. Is there a need to upgrade to sandisk extreme III/30MB/s edition? (Adorama seems to have some good promotion for it atm.) I am okay with the speed of the UII's but will it conk out in cold weather or just performs slower? Thanks.

camera strap for winter...memory card holder for winter, camera bag for winter... gitzo tripod ok for winter...markins q3t ok for winter...heliopan UV filter for winter... :bsmilie:

i think u cannot go to cold places... cos i think u will mulfunction b4 ur camera does... :bsmilie:

pass mi ur air ticket... u dun have to worry so much liao... i worry for u ok... hee hee

seriously maaannn

the main thing u need to worry about is your batteries bcos they aren't long-lasting in the cold so have to keep a spare in your pocket and rotate often. and it'll be hard to press the buttons wearing gloves.

everything else will probably go haywire only after you do.

camera strap for winter...memory card holder for winter, camera bag for winter... gitzo tripod ok for winter...markins q3t ok for winter...heliopan UV filter for winter... :bsmilie:

i think u cannot go to cold places... cos i think u will mulfunction b4 ur camera does... :bsmilie:

pass mi ur air ticket... u dun have to worry so much liao... i worry for u ok... hee hee
Ha. I saw a reply on your nick I know not right liao... Ok, think I sound too stupid... >:

Actually I am serious in my questions. For SD cards, if all are the same then why is it the extreme III series specially rate them to be suitable for sub-zero temperatures. It is all too easy to be sarcastic and cast away questions coming of pure intend as those that are trying to be funny. If I had really annoyed anyone of you, I sincerely apologise. Or perhaps, Fengwei can help deregister me and I shall never visit this forum again.

Why buy Sandisk from Adorama when you can probably get it locally cheaper plus don't have to pay shipping and wait for the package? Go down to Comex today...
Seriously you should worry more about keeping yourself warm and avoiding cracked lips than worry about your gear...

As a continuation to the "Lens for Winter" thread, may I know if there are any issues with SD cards? I am currently using the sandisk ultra II's. Is there a need to upgrade to sandisk extreme III/30MB/s edition? (Adorama seems to have some good promotion for it atm.) I am okay with the speed of the UII's but will it conk out in cold weather or just performs slower? Thanks.

i have shot at negative 5-6 degrees with normal sd card and it is fine.

don't worry so much. :)

if you worry it will fail, that has little to do with cold weather, bring one or two spares. if still so unlucky, i'm sure there are ways to purchase new ones. :)

Actually I am serious in my questions. For SD cards, if all are the same then why is it the extreme III series specially rate them to be suitable for sub-zero temperatures. It is all too easy to be sarcastic and cast away questions coming of pure intend as those that are trying to be funny. If I had really annoyed anyone of you, I sincerely apologise. Or perhaps, Fengwei can help deregister me and I shall never visit this forum again.

Just listen to yourself... why are you overreacting?
I think nobody is annoyed by your questions but I have to say the questions you have asked just make you sound like a mountain tortoise (sorry). C'mon, broaden your mindset... what about the people who shoot Pentax or any other brand in places like Sapporo, Oslo, Chamonix, Aspen, or any other place where there's cold weather?

If you seriously gave careful thought to the issue of shooting in cold weather, I think half of what you're asking would have been resolved by simple common sense. Except for data read/write speed, using Sandisk Extreme III SD cards or normal rated SD cards makes no practical difference in cold weather.

Don't take things too personally... no need to deregister and other silly what not decision not to visit the forum...

don't worry about it..

just think about it logically, there is no obvious product marketed for winter shooting, that should give you a clue.

tripods, camera, lens, all these are not a problem.

take discussions less seriously.. sometimes people just speak their mind, and they're entitled to their opinion.. :)

hehe i think i must upgrade to K-7 because it's advertised to be good for sub-zero conditions unlike K20D and chicago is a darn cold place. :devil::sweat:

i think it's just an advertising & marketing thing la. one more extra feature to differentiate the top-shelf extreme cards from the ultra series. both should work just as well i think.

scorpioh, no offence or sarcasm intended in my earlier post. i was just trying to be cheeky ;) have a safe an enjoyable trip, tt's the most impt! :)

Just listen to yourself... why are you overreacting?
I think nobody is annoyed by your questions but I have to say the questions you have asked just make you sound like a mountain tortoise (sorry). C'mon, broaden your mindset... what about the people who shoot Pentax or any other brand in places like Sapporo, Oslo, Chamonix, Aspen, or any other place where there's cold weather?

If you seriously gave careful thought to the issue of shooting in cold weather, I think half of what you're asking would have been resolved by simple common sense. Except for data read/write speed, using Sandisk Extreme III SD cards or normal rated SD cards makes no practical difference in cold weather.

Don't take things too personally... no need to deregister and other silly what not decision not to visit the forum...
Sorry. I think I had indeed over-reacted. Guess I did not state my query properly.

Why buy Sandisk from Adorama when you can probably get it locally cheaper plus don't have to pay shipping and wait for the package? Go down to Comex today...
Seriously you should worry more about keeping yourself warm and avoiding cracked lips than worry about your gear...
Adorama offers a 3 in 1 package at some USD$75 for their 4GB 30 MB/s extreme III which is cheaper than the local price of ~$50.

don't worry about it..

just think about it logically, there is no obvious product marketed for winter shooting, that should give you a clue.

tripods, camera, lens, all these are not a problem.

take discussions less seriously.. sometimes people just speak their mind, and they're entitled to their opinion.. :)
Thanks nightmare for your advice.

hehe i think i must upgrade to K-7 because it's advertised to be good for sub-zero conditions unlike K20D and chicago is a darn cold place. :devil::sweat:

i think it's just an advertising & marketing thing la. one more extra feature to differentiate the top-shelf extreme cards from the ultra series. both should work just as well i think.

scorpioh, no offence or sarcasm intended in my earlier post. i was just trying to be cheeky ;) have a safe an enjoyable trip, tt's the most impt! :)
It's ok. Don't take it to heart. Just a moment of pique. And, do enjoy your study in US! Must be a nice place.

I do know that Best Bargain at SLS sell memory cards at good prices.
You can go there have a look.
May be going down soon to get a couple of Sandisk SD cards myself. :)

Sorry, I don't have the authority to deregister anyone, but I don't think anyone is annoyed or anything like that. Take it easy, you know some guys here just like to joke around (me included) ;)

Adorama offers a 3 in 1 package at some USD$75 for their 4GB 30 MB/s extreme III which is cheaper than the local price of ~$50.

That sounds expensive. Probably you can get one for less than $75usd at the COMEX? Besides, you don't really need the 30mb/s version, the normal 20mb/s one is more than enough :)

ok ok... i will answer seriously this time... i used normal kingston SD in 0degC b4... no problem... sandisk should be better since its better rated... :heart::heart::heart:
Ok lah, forgive you since I am always indebted to you for poisoning me with FA77.

That sounds expensive. Probably you can get one for less than $75usd at the COMEX? Besides, you don't really need the 30mb/s version, the normal 20mb/s one is more than enough :)
3 for USD$75 I mean. That would work out be be some SGD$35 per card!

Status
Not open for further replies.