Memory allocation in Photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
Hi guys,

Need some help here... my computer shipped with 1GB of RAM, and I recently installed another 2GB of RAM. The system booted up correctly, and the System Info in Windows showed 3GB of RAM in place.

When I started Photoshop CS2 and looked at the "memory and image cache" option, I found that the max memory it can access is 1761MB when set to 100%. Why is it that I'm unable to utilize the full capacity?

I'm not running other programs at the same time, so it's unlikely that the remaining memory is being hogged by other programs. I'm using Win XP Pro...

You need to add the /3GB switch to the boot.ini of winxp to gain access to your extra memory.

Neo said:
Hi guys,

Need some help here... my computer shipped with 1GB of RAM, and I recently installed another 2GB of RAM. The system booted up correctly, and the System Info in Windows showed 3GB of RAM in place.

When I started Photoshop CS2 and looked at the "memory and image cache" option, I found that the max memory it can access is 1761MB when set to 100%. Why is it that I'm unable to utilize the full capacity?

I'm not running other programs at the same time, so it's unlikely that the remaining memory is being hogged by other programs. I'm using Win XP Pro...
I'm no expert in IT, but I believe that if you go to the Windows Task Manager, go to processes, you will see a whole list of resident programs (firewall, antivirus, svchost etc) which takes up memory. Most of them mandatory I believe, unless you're familiar with the functions of these progs.

For the record, I'm on 2 GB, and have 1761 available as well. Strange.

Hi here

i am a mac user. I am not sure if it is the same.

Hightlight the photoshop icon. It will appear a insturetion box for there you can just incearse the photosop memory.

I hope is work

thank you
nicholas

firestone said:
As mentioned, go goggle 'setting 3gb switch' or go somewhere like this link.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...9c7-708c-43bf-b877-e14ae443ecbf.mspx?mfr=true

Thanks for the link. But...

After adding the /3GB switch, the available memory size is reduced to 908MB from 1761MB. :bigeyes:

Noname5.jpg

Sorry, I found out that the RAM size for the earlier system was only 1 GByte.

I tried on another PC with 3 GByte RAM installed.

Before Change
Noname5_001.jpg

After " /3GB " option was added to Boot.ini
Noname6.sized.jpg

Noname7.jpg

It works.

Hi guys,

I tried editing the boot.ini file with the /3GB switch as advised, and it worked like a charm! Now accessing 2GB of RAM at about 75% of the memory allocation (total avail after OS is 2.7GB). You guys have been wonderful. Thanks for all the help!! :) :) :)

Dunnoe if you guys would like to try this.
>Goto Run type in msconfig.exe.
>Click on the System.ini tab
>Click the + sign beside 386enh
>create a new item inside the 386enh by clicking "new"
>key in the value ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

This should tell your system to use up every byte of Ram you have before it starts to use your virtual memory...;)

liveevil said:
This should tell your system to use up every byte of Ram you have before it starts to use your virtual memory...;)

Sorry but isn't this what Photoshop does on its own?with its scratchdisk?
Or is virtual memory & scratch disk different? Thks

firestone said:
Sorry but isn't this what Photoshop does on its own?with its scratchdisk?
Or is virtual memory & scratch disk different? Thks

changing the settings as i mentioned earlier on not only applies to photoshop but your system. therefore, watever program that u run will utilize your Ram til the last drop. I would only recommand you do that if you have sufficient Ram.

i'm using win 2K still

and from what i read, microsoft says only to do it for win 2K advanced server?!?!?! says if not, can cause crashes

does it really matter?

please advise...else i'm still crawling to do PP :)

thanx

PL

plsoong said:
i'm using win 2K still

and from what i read, microsoft says only to do it for win 2K advanced server?!?!?! says if not, can cause crashes

does it really matter?

please advise...else i'm still crawling to do PP :)

thanx

PL

if u are talking about editing the swapfile value, i would only recommand you do that if u have PLENTY of Ram. Previously, i tried to do that with only 512MB of Ram and end up programs become not responding when memory is depleted. But it works fine now with 1.5GB. If u know that you are going to multitask a lot and will exceed the amount of Ram you have, I think you better NOT try to set the swapfile value.:D
and btw i'm using xp home.;)

Errz said:
how abt 2gig? no need do anything?

Winxp supports up to 2GB by default. You can check your settings and see, it should already be available, if not, no harm trying.

Just like to clarify about this 3Gb switch thing:

1. Does it apply to Windows XP HOME Edition if I upgrade my RAM from 1 to 2 G?
2. For Mac users, do they need to do something similar when expanding the RAMs beyond 1G?

Seems like this feature can be quite troublesome for non-IT savvy users like myself.

:)

Visuals said:
Just like to clarify about this 3Gb switch thing:

1. Does it apply to Windows XP HOME Edition if I upgrade my RAM from 1 to 2 G?
2. For Mac users, do they need to do something similar when expanding the RAMs beyond 1G?

Seems like this feature can be quite troublesome for non-IT savvy users like myself.

:)

Its only for those going beyond 2G.

Hi All
The Bigger Tiles plug-in mentioned in the support link from the previous post is extremely useful. It only takes a few seconds to do and will make any computer with more that 1Gb of RAM work better with PS CS2. DO NOT do this if you have 1Gb or less - it will cause crashes.
J

Ola said:

Status
Not open for further replies.