Members: 3,617, Threads: 26,470, Posts: 218,735, Member's Portfolios: 11 threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

boochap

Feb 12, 2002
sg - bukit ho swee
www.geocities.com
so many members and yet so little members' portfolio posting.

what happened?

too paiseh to showoff?

or simply boochap?

yahyah, actually i am boochap and a little paiseh...:dunno:

Actually, there are 53 threads in total (it only shows the last 30 days worth of threads), but have to agree with you that the number of portfolios is disproportionate.

Encourage all members to post their portfolios!

Nothing worth showing... can't match the standards they have here :embrass:

well..i guess the main thing is being paiseh and inferior. Thats my number one reason for not posting portfolios too.. :embrass:

Originally posted by Wryer
well..i guess the main thing is being paiseh and inferior. Thats my number one reason for not posting portfolios too.. :embrass:

the reason why i dont post is because the critique is not helpful enough. and besides, i need to scan before i post, got no time to do that.

Originally posted by mervlam
the reason why i dont post is because the critique is not helpful enough. and besides, i need to scan before i post, got no time to do that.

Yeah..i agree that for SLR users, it takes time and effort to scan those images up on the net. Its much easier for digital users.

But for the part where the 'critique is not helpful enough', Im not quite sure :dunno: , for me, when i post pictures, i hope to get comments, and try to see the image from third party's POV.

Any example where u get insuffcient? Perhaps u want to PM me? Hehe..i know its not nice to post the thread here. I just a bit Kaypoh lah. :p

Originally posted by Wryer
Yeah..i agree that for SLR users, it takes time and effort to scan those images up on the net. Its much easier for digital users.

Yuppers.
Especially when I go the cheapskate way and develop index prints and no enlarged prints.

Some people are just broke, ya know? ;)

;) haha..totally understand. Sometimes with digital, i also print in index ONLY. Thats what u call poor! haha..

I'm sure we have discussed this before on some other threads.
Anyway, I have to agree with Mervlam that sometimes the comments aren't really that helpful.

What I mean is, there is only so much information that "Nice shot!", "Well taken!" or "Good timing!" can convey. I'm sure we can do better than that. You don't have to be too technical, or have a good grasp of visual composition theory, but at least, we can try to say a bit more on why you like the picture or dislike it. Meanwhile maybe try to suggest how the shot can be improved.
In all, both parties learn something new.

And I think it's not entirely the viewers' fault either. Contributors can also try to comment more on the situation the shots was taken, your considerations at the time. I think you need to have at least some considerations when you take a picture, or else every picture will just turn up as a snapshot. Photographers should aim to shoot more on their skills and styles instead of depending on luck that a good shot will turn out.

Oh my, what a long posting oredi, definitely must be the Coke keeping me awake :p

As a moderator for this Member's Portfolios subforum, I always (if not most of the time) dedicate as much time and effort as I possibly can in giving constructive comments. I believe so have Jed...

But the problem is, not many members (including our own dear moderators) are contributing to this subforum, either to showcase own portoflio or in giving proper comments.

I think this is not a very healthy sign as far as I am concerned. The Member's Portfolios subforum don't just function with Jed and myself constantly giving "generous" comments while the rest of our members as observer or at most passing off the commonly used 2-words comment!

I have noticed that after the initial bit of enthusiasm, the posts completely died off and there were long periods of inactivity.

This is sad, but I suspect has to do with the fact that choosing and selecting 5 pieces of work is more effort than it takes to casually sit in front of a computer and bang out various kopitiam topics to pass the day.

Perhaps indeed it is a chicken and egg thing, but just personally anyway I feel the major obstacle is that people need to help comment to keep the thing going. If, (and as has happened), people take the effort to post their pictures and the comments do not arrive, eventually the flow of pictures will halt as well. Jas and myself are supposed to moderate the forum; we're moderators, not commentators. When we can we try to drop some comments in, but if no one else is chipping in, the situation is lost.

I'm trying to do a rethink to maybe stimulate more portfolios (and pictures in general) as well as maybe comments.

One idea is possibly a picture of the week, not based on quality, but just selected at random, although it should have some merit as well. Thereafter, people can comment on this "highlighted" picture. Potentially, to also have a vote then to nominate the best "comment of the week". Or possibly to get a portfolio highlighted each week, and then to have the same process. The emphasis being not the best picture(s) but the best response.

Status
Not open for further replies.