Melbourne and Sydney in May

GilbertGoh

Aug 16, 2005
Singapore
I am going over to Melbourne and Sydney in the first 2 weeks of May. Any recommendations of place to go? I will spend 2 day,1 night along the great ocean road, self drive. the other days no car. Want to do nature photography like birding but need to know the location and how to get there without driving.

May will be late autumn/early winter in Australia so outdoor activities like hiking might not be that suitable. Around Sydney, besides the usual Harbour Bridge and Opera House, you might wish to consider going for the Grand Pacific Drive (check out the brochure, pdf version). If it is not too cold you might also want to check out the Blue Mountains (The Three Sisters and Katoomba Falls). Otherwise if you like skiing, can go to Perisher Ski Resort (but maybe a little too early for good snow).

In sydney, directly in the heart of the city. Walking is not a problem at all.
places to go from Star city, then take a boat ride to the rocks or opera house, plenty ful of pictures to take, walk to the rocks (they have a weekend market there). walk down again to city centre and down to chinatown area (paddy's market) which is somewhere u started.

In melboune, it is a must ot go to great ocaen road but do drive safe and watch ur time versus speed. St Kilda is not bad, some other place need a car to get there.

Hope this helps a little.

I'm only familiar with Sydney, so here's my suggestion - since you're interested in natural photography, the only accessible areas (by public transport from the city) is the Blue Mountains (about 1 to 1.5 hr by train from Central Station) and North Head (bus/ferry). If you have enough time, it would be good to set aside about 2 or 3 days to cover Blue Mountains. As it's autumn now, you may get some nice colours (from human-planted deciduous trees in the little towns in Blue Mountains, and not the natural bush trees).

great ocean road is awesome! i self-drove there. quite a lot of good food in lorne, along the great ocean road. :)

thanks for the reply. Can i know how you all pack your gear there? the weight limit is 7kg, will airport add the weight of cam gear in the 7 kg?

I am going over to Melbourne and Sydney in the first 2 weeks of May. Any recommendations of place to go? I will spend 2 day,1 night along the great ocean road, self drive. the other days no car. Want to do nature photography like birding but need to know the location and how to get there without driving.

In Melbourne city centre, there is a free tram with designated stops at places of interests. It operates from morning till about 6pm. At Flinders (central) station, diagonally across the traffic light where an old church stands, is one of the stops. Opposite is the tourist info centre. The tram takes you to Melb Museum; makan areas; University of Melb; Victoria market; Arts centre; and a large public park, to name a few. Just a Note: Parking in the city centre is very expensive & lots hard to find. :) Rgds