melancholic reflection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bcool

Apr 2, 2007
A sick, tired and lonely old man I met along the way to JZG.
Intrigued that a Hui chinese was living among the predominantly Tibetan Buddhists, I spoke to him. He had came down the road to pick up rocks to rebuild a stonewall that had collapsed during an accident. He lamented that his children had moved out together with a sizable portion of his clan, seeking better opportunities in the city and leaving him alone to tend to the ancestral house. We spoke for a while more before I requested for a photo to be taken. Unfortunately I was able to come off with this one shot only.

1/80sec, iso100, F9, 1410hrs, overcast sky
Hui-Chinese.jpg

Pic was converted from a colored image. Some dodging and burning done during pp.

Was his sick, melancholic and tired states reflected in the image? Somehow, with the exception of the eyes, I feel that it’s not strong in the emotion department.

Your critiques and comments are appreciated.

Thank you

Based on what you wrote, I think you managed to capture the old man's story on his face. The wrinkles, the facial expression of being tired, weary, lonely... the sunken eyes.

Well done and I love the picture processing too :thumbsup:

could do wif a tad more contrast. glad u captured the wrinkles properly, cause that's the most important bit in ur story. captures the expression nicely.
though u could have shot something he was carrying. to show how tired he is. might convey the mood even more. felt it can be better if u weren't so close.

the neck area looked really sharp. I would have preferred if the face and the wrinkles were sharp instead and I cannot get the 'reflection' that was mentioned.

Was this taken with a very long lens?

For F/9, the DOF is way weird. As others have mentioned, the face area is not sharp, which is the key thing you should be looking out for when you wish to do portrait-style photography. I guess. The impact would be a lot greater if you had focused on the face (it doesn't seem to be in focus), and made it sharper instead of the softness I perceive in the photo you have posted.

He seems to be carrying something on his back - a basket to pick up the rocks, perhaps? Perhaps you could have taken a step back and included it as well, if your purpose is to tell his story and express his tiredness - if it is indeed a basket it would put everything - the emotion on his face into context.

Based on what you wrote, I think you managed to capture the old man's story on his face. The wrinkles, the facial expression of being tired, weary, lonely... the sunken eyes.

Thanks Royston.

could do wif a tad more contrast. glad u captured the wrinkles properly, cause that's the most important bit in ur story. captures the expression nicely.
though u could have shot something he was carrying. to show how tired he is. might convey the mood even more. felt it can be better if u weren't so close.

nysheng....point noted.

the neck area looked really sharp. I would have preferred if the face and the wrinkles were sharp instead and I cannot get the 'reflection' that was mentioned.

'reflection' in this context is about bringing out specified appearance or characterization.

Was this taken with a very long lens?

For F/9, the DOF is way weird. As others have mentioned, the face area is not sharp, which is the key thing you should be looking out for when you wish to do portrait-style photography. I guess. The impact would be a lot greater if you had focused on the face (it doesn't seem to be in focus), and made it sharper instead of the softness I perceive in the photo you have posted.

He seems to be carrying something on his back - a basket to pick up the rocks, perhaps? Perhaps you could have taken a step back and included it as well, if your purpose is to tell his story and express his tiredness - if it is indeed a basket it would put everything - the emotion on his face into context.

This was taken with a 180mm lens and agree the focus is not on the face area.
The basket he was carrying on his back was for carrying rocks and I can see your perspective about moving back and including more of the basket.

Thanks for the critiques and comments, guys.
Appreciate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.