Megapixels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miinor-sandyy

Deregistered
Feb 20, 2009
woodlands
Hi. im getting a dslr but i dont know which one to choose.
is it the more the megapixel the more clearer?
and can anyone recommand me which dslr to get?
my budget is around $400 ++ 2nd i dont mind..

of course bigger is better most of the time, but not always the case.

DSLR at ± $400, you can only looking for used entry level DSLR without lens, if you are lucky, maybe can find a old Canon D30, D60 or Nikon D100 without lens at such price.

can probably get Nikon D40 body, or if lucky maybe d40kit. But then DSLR ownership is not only about the camera and lens.
How about:
dry cabinet for storage
camera bag
tripod
external flash
more lenses

?
?
?
?

1) welcome to clubsnap. read more . shoot more . post more

2) do your research . megapixels are not everything if you dont intend to print large images ( bigger than a4) . if you read, 1.3mp-2mp is sufficient enough to print a decent a4 sized picture .

3) for $400, instead of getting a nikon d40, get the older generation but offers better learning curve like the d70. note this is without lens.

4) like what zerocoolastra says, you still have to consider drybox etc. dont boher so much. just a decent camera bag will do for the time being. while a drybox is good , the dslr that i use is rarely in the drybox.

You can check Buy & Sell here. 400 bucks can get you a Canon 350D maybe. Perfectly fine for a start.
All entry level cameras will produce decent pictures and megapixel are nothing to be worried about. 6-8 megapixel are more than enough.

NeTHaCk is correct. Megapixels aren't everything. I'm interested in why you'd like a dslr though.. A $400 budget is quite tight.

You can check Buy & Sell here. 400 bucks can get you a Canon 350D maybe. Perfectly fine for a start.
All entry level cameras will produce decent pictures and megapixel are nothing to be worried about. 6-8 megapixel are more than enough.

This is very good advice.

After a year or two you'll know exactly what to upgrade to.

correct... megapixels do not mean much.. unless you need to print giant posters? you may need more

actually with a budget at 400 why not start with a simple D100 or maybe a 350D?

both are great cameras... and maybe can get a kit lens to complement it.

you're all set

and maybe if you had a bit more budget, it'd be much better

do not forget memory cards and lens... others can come in later

when you're settled in

then the clear pictures is look in which features?
and spot metering?
shot counts?

then the clear pictures is look in which features?
and spot metering?
shot counts?

Erm.. maybe you can use a few more words to form your questions. Would help tremendously to understand and help you. Most of us are not into mind-reading .. and maybe you wouldn't want us to start :bsmilie:
Clear pictures are mainly made of a) composition and b) proper exposure. Both is not related to any specific brand or camera model but rather to the skills of the photographer.
Spot metering is a tool to achieve proper exposure in certain situations and conditions. Quite helpful if you know how to use it. Shutter count is like mileage of a car, it tells you a bit about the usage of the camera. That's all. Similar to a car it doesn't tell you whether the owner has been careful and considerate nor will it tell you whether the camera will break down soon or not. Search for 'shutter count' here, there are posts telling you the average expected shutter count for certain cameras. In general: consumer cameras have lower, professional cameras have higher expected shutter count. Changing a shutter is standard service activity for most camera service center, nothing to worry much. For costs you can check the respective websites.

Hi, I would recommend 2nd hand canon eos 300d or 350d, which cost 300 dollars in CS and u can buy a standard lens 50 F1.8 for 100 dollars or less. I think the combination is good for entry level

hey guys. thanks for your reccomendation and explaining..
im getting 350d. and lens. i heard there's wide range..
any reccomendation?

hey guys. thanks for your reccomendation and explaining..
im getting 350d. and lens. i heard there's wide range..
any reccomendation?

Don't know what kind of photography you wish to pursue, so how to recommend you a lens?

oh yeah. what's filter lens?

Never heard that term before. Heard the two words 'filter' and 'lens', but not together.
A lens, I think you know what it is.
A filter is a piece of glass which you can mount in front of the lens to achieve certain effects.
some of them include:
1) neutral-density (ND) : like sunglasses. Cuts the light coming in so you can use a slower shutter speed.

2) circular polarizer (CPL) : a bit tough to explain polarization, but it's useful for reducing the effect of glare on reflective surfaces, and also can enhance the blue-ness of the sky.

3) ultra-violet (UV) : self-explanatory. Protects against UV rays. But it's main purpose is to protect the front element of the lens. Cheaper to replace the filter than to send lens to service center and replace the front element.

Don't know what kind of photography you wish to pursue, so how to recommend you a lens?

that is why she post on this newbie side to get the slightless reccomendation from forum here. you cannot say in this way, perhap you should say, as a starter, it is reccomended to stick with a kit lens first, after attempting to play for some time you will discover you needs. from there onwards you might want to go into macro, portrait, landscape, walkaround etc......

to the TS ,

it doesnt matter much on MP. ask yourself this question, how big are you going to print your pictures.

$400 is quite tough. a nikon d70 would be great . a canon 300d or 350d would be great too.

the most important lesson right now and the most simplest advice i can give you - get the most basic setup you can . Meaning the body + kit lens which is the 18-55. dont buy anything else at the moment.

why get the most basic and cheapest ?
1) you're still not sure what are the terms and items.
2) you're on tight budget
3) from the most basic, you will know what is your limitations and you can work from there.

After getting your equipments, shoot more.

But before that, i recommend you to read this : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544 http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206981

at leat 90% of the queries you might have will be there..

Last edited:
please please please go to your nearest or any of our dearest National Libraries.

pick up some books about basic digital photography, whether is "digital photography for beginner" or "learning photography over the weekend" or "digital photography for dummy" these are fine, and there are many others books available too.

it will give you a overview on basic photography, and a very systematic way to learn.

those books are free to borrow, you can pick up any books freely, rather than asking one question by question here, even you are very free to post, not all people are very free to reply, if you are not free to go the libraries, you can also do a Google search for all questions, this service is also free to use, the results is instantly and it is available 24/7/365.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.