Megapixels and Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chlee

Mar 15, 2004
Seng Kang
www.pbase.com
Hi all,

Have some queries regarding the above. For digicam whether compact or DSLR, we will have 2 settings for image. 1 for size and 1 for quality.

My question is.... if the quality setting is always set to the best option, does the size/resolution/megapixels setting affect the image in any way if I set the size to a lower setting. :think: That's beside not being able to print to a bigger format as compared to biggest resolution available on the cam.

ie, - amount of details available? :dunno:
- quality of processed image (assuming same process in PS applied to both image) :dunno:

That's cos I have limited memory cards and i dun need to print anything bigger than 8R. If the lower size settings doesn't affect the image at all in terms of quality....... I will have no worries setting to a lower resolution with the same quality settings to maximise my memory space...... of course without compromising what I will get.......

Thanks in advance for any advice and info....... :)

Chlee said:
Hi all,

Have some queries regarding the above. For digicam whether compact or DSLR, we will have 2 settings for image. 1 for size and 1 for quality.

My question is.... if the quality setting is always set to the best option, does the size/resolution/megapixels setting affect the image in any way if I set the size to a lower setting. :think: That's beside not being able to print to a bigger format as compared to biggest resolution available on the cam.

ie, - amount of details available? :dunno:
- quality of processed image (assuming same process in PS applied to both image) :dunno:

That's cos I have limited memory cards and i dun need to print anything bigger than 8R. If the lower size settings doesn't affect the image at all in terms of quality....... I will have no worries setting to a lower resolution with the same quality settings to maximise my memory space...... of course without compromising what I will get.......

Thanks in advance for any advice and info....... :)

Hi I might be wrong but to sum up your query, the quality of JPG setting actually referes to the ratio of compression. How tightly your image is compress. the higher the quality... the bigger the size and more detail information is intact. less quality, high compression lost of detail information. It will not effect the megapixel.

The best solution is to leave it as high quality as possible. if you have memory card storage constraint, set to shoot in lower megapixel.

Hi Jimtong,

Thanks for your reply.... for a moment, I thought nobody is going to respond to my query..... :sweat:

That's what i thought too... regarding the quality..... Just want to make sure that at lower megapixel setting but with the same quality setting, the image will not actually have a lower quality.......

Lower megapixel meant that you could print smaller. But to be sure, check your manual to see what megapixel count is used. Every camera is different. Make sure the image have at least 2MP.

mpenza said:
Lower megapixel meant that you could print smaller. But to be sure, check your manual to see what megapixel count is used. Every camera is different. Make sure the image have at least 2MP.

Thanks Mpenza,

Will keep that in mind...... I will not go below 3MP..... ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.