megapixel vs print size

gardna

Apr 17, 2013
Singapore
quick question..

i did i studio photoshoot for someone on a 5d3(22.3MP), cropped down to about 12MP.. ISO 800 but boosted to 1600(but not significant noise)

Person wants to print above 12R for the cropped(12MP) image. will it work?

Tried reading online but was confused by the printing jargon.. dpi, 240, ppi, 300, etc....

anyone have a simple answer? HAHA..

Printing on canvas is all i know(if this helps)

12R is 12x15 inches. ideally you would need 300dpi for a sharp print which is 16MP, but at 12MP you will have a 250dpi which should still be ok.
Anything above 12R will result in reduced resolution and further reduction in print quality.

Simple answer? Should be fine

Longer answer, by calculation alone:
If printing standard 12R, measurement is 12 inch x 15 inch (aspect ratio of 5 by 4)

'DPI' refers to dots per inch, some say minimum 240 dpi for good print quality, some say you can get away with 180 dpi
So multiple the print size by 240 dpi will give you (12x240 and 15x240) 2880 x 3600 dots

2880 x 3600 = 10.3 million dots
Your cropped image is 12 megapixels, probably the aspect ratio is 3 by 2, need to crop a bit to fit 12R aspect ratio, should still be able to so as you have a bit of extra pixels

Those with more experience in printing probably can give you more specific advice regarding the print medium and requirements.

thoongeng's answer is more scientific...yes by calculation.There is a difference between scaling a photo to maintain aspect ratio and cropping which may not be the same aspect ratio of original image.
I guess TS has cut some part of the image.The 12Mp is what the size of the image file and may not be the actual resolution.What is more relevant is the height and width of the cropped image given
by the pixel or dot numbers (check image size info) so a more accurate enlargement as shown by thoongeng.

Definitions : DPI refer to a printer's resolution of printed dots on 1 inch of line.

PPI have 2 meanings...1. refers to resolution of LCD monitor that can not be changed.
2. refers to metadata of image file which monitor can ignor but
tell the printer what size to print.

Size or quality (sharpness) is for calculated size or dimension when viewed close up which means photo is small even like 12R size where the eye can see fine details but when a print is large eg. poster size it will be viewed from farther distance so resolution is not that critical and anyway it's printed with less resolution or DPI.On the contrary insisting a 300 DPi print of the same file size or resolution will result in a smaller photo/image.

If we use 240 DPI for 12 X 15 (12R print) it will give 2880x3600 dots ( 2880/240= 12,3600/240=15).
At 300 DPI we get 2880/300= 9.6, 3600/300= 12 so standard size is 10x12?

TS should inspect the image's pixel dimensions and calculate the optimum enlargement.
Actually ask print shop what resolution/DPI they print at or can do custom print. Now this is for best quality when viewed close up but as he mentioned his client want bigger than 12R so at same "resolution" but viewed from further distance and printed with less DPI this same image (12Mp) can be 30x45 inch and still be good. If TS KS can suggest 24X36 in.:)
See this link:

https://photographyicon.com/enlarge/

The table from the link above: Legend: purple -superb - 200+ PPI
Dark blue -Excellent -150-199 PPI
Light blue- better - 100-149 PPI

Green- good - 80-90 PPI (Quality that your typical
photographer will be happy with.)

Orange- fair -79PPI or less

$megapixel-enlargement-chart.jpg

Last edited:
so dpi is a viewing thing? abit like the megapixels?

and ppi is a printer thing? the better the printer, the more pixels it can print per inch?

and i want to print on canvas, does this "dpi, ppi" thing matter as well?

so dpi is a viewing thing? abit like the megapixels?

and ppi is a printer thing? the better the printer, the more pixels it can print per inch?

and i want to print on canvas, does this "dpi, ppi" thing matter as well?

PPI is pixels per inch which is the your monitor's resolution (the mix up probably due to big companies using DPI instead of PPI when describing their screen resolution in advertisements)

DPI is the 'printer thing'

Printing on canvas probably don't need that high a resolution, and it also depends on viewing distance (further distance, can accept a lower DPI eg billboards). Better check with the printing company what the recommended dpi, others settings (eg colour space) etc for a more definitive answer

picture will be a family portrait, so living room-ish?

mostly viewing from afar but i guess will be scrutinised from time to time? haha

back to ppi though.. i use photoshop? so will tend to edit at pixel level. if this is relevant in any way...?

From your questions...

Are you sure you should have accepted a studio shoot job...

Every answer here is very clear

But you don't seem ready to understand

its a family shoot haha..
and no, not really understood HAHA

but thanks all for the help =)

P.S. what's TS KS?