Megapixel Madness - 18 mpx?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

surrephoto

Jan 14, 2009
Chinatown
www.surrephoto.com
No offence, but I think we are going against the limits here.

No doubt Canon has made their latest 7D the densest APS-C crop sensor in the market. (Why, cos they can't push 51-AF points into their camera i guess).

If you do the calculations they could easily be anal and stuff 50 million damn pixels into the 1Ds 4 or whatever it is called...

Which would you want? More pixels or less noise?

Last edited:

No doubt Canon has made their latest 7D the densest APS-C crop sensor in the market. (Why, cos they can't push 51-AF points into their camera i guess).

If you do the calculations they could easily be anal and stuff 50 million damn pixels into the 1Ds 4 or whatever it is called...

Less noise.

GMAN

Can't have the best of both - I would go for less noise as I shoot in hi-ISO most of my time.

Can't have the best of both - I would go for less noise as I shoot in hi-ISO most of my time.

What if canon could convince the masses that their magic digic technology can turn a 18-mpx noiseless?

i want better DR

Well, not with this amount of megapixels, confirm DR will be handicapped.

I want cheaper price.

I'm sure we all want that. :thumbsup:

What if canon could convince the masses that their magic digic technology can turn a 18-mpx noiseless?

Till the day it become a reality, the question will still be what if... :)

Still waiting for a good ISO test reviews of the 7D... waiting... :think:

Till the day it become a reality, the question will still be what if... :)

Still waiting for a good ISO test reviews of the 7D... waiting... :think:

Based on mathematics...

The pixel density of the 7D is 5 times that of the 5D classic. I have no idea how noise levels are going to be low.

technology is moving forward everyday. the one who decides to stay put with what they have will be dropped out of this race very quickly.

in terms of pixel density, the 4/3 cameras have a even higher pixel density. limits are meant to be broken.

It's very strange when I see people so engrossed in the Megapixels fight when they choose cameras.. (in terms of resolution of photos)

I was wondering, how big are the prints people normally print? 4R, 8R, S8R, A4 or A3 size? :think:

From my experience, a 10MP photos is good enough for even an A2 print.
That's why I always ask my friends/relatives how big do they normally print before advising them on cameras..

If you want to print big, shoot RAW.
This is the advice I give to people who wants to buy a new DSLR.. :sweat:

less noise. more GG! :D

samples are already out if you do a search and the noise control is better than 500D/50D even with higher MP count.

in truth, i think they could have tweaked noise control to be even better, but that would just mean they kill 5D2 market. we know canon is not nikon who loves to come out with products that cannibalize other product market share, so people are just gonna live with that.

unbelievable...is iso 1600/3200 even usable on the 7D ?
if it is FF, at least not so bad but APS-C sensor...

Last edited:
actually why do you guys think that pixels and noise is related???

Logically, with the new gapless microlens, I think the noise performance does not suffer anymore when you go up in megapixels as it does not affect the fundamental amount of light hitting the sensor.

To get better noise performance, you can always downsample the picture right? some form of pixel binning.

the only disadv of high megapixel is probably DR.

unbelievable...is iso 1600/3200 even usable on the 7D ?
if it is FF, at least not so bad but APS-C sensor...

If it's the 5D2, even 6400 is acceptable

actually why do you guys think that pixels and noise is related???

Pixel density and ISO noise are related.

Logically, with the new gapless microlens, I think the noise performance does not suffer anymore when you go up in megapixels as it does not affect the fundamental amount of light hitting the sensor.

Logically, you are wrong. The actual photoreceptors are smaller in a high-density sensor, and so are the microlenses. Thus the light captured per receptor is smaller, and the gapless microlens actually doen't help much other than look pretty in a marketing brochure.

To get better noise performance, you can always downsample the picture right? some form of pixel binning.

the only disadv of high megapixel is probably DR.

Not really. The very high MP sensor found in the D3X and A900/A850 (24.6MP at less than 3k SGD) has some of the highest DR out there.

Pixel density and ISO noise are related.

Logically, you are wrong. The actual photoreceptors are smaller in a high-density sensor, and so are the microlenses. Thus the light captured per receptor is smaller, and the gapless microlens actually doen't help much other than look pretty in a marketing brochure.

Not really. The very high MP sensor found in the D3X and A900/A850 (24.6MP at less than 3k SGD) has some of the highest DR out there.

??? The actual photoreceptors are smaller in a high-density sensor due to the auxilliary circuits for each pixels. However the most important thing should be the signal which is light. If canon is true to it marketing and has successfully engineered gapless microlens, they are able to harvest all available light and funnel it into the respective pixel's photoreceptors, your signal strength should not be dependent on the number of pixels.

For older technologies where there microlens is not gapless, the more pixel you have, the smaller the total area for your microlens (due to the borders), the smaller your signal gathered.

alamak, of course if there are technological improvements, high MP sensors can have good DR. I am saying with the SAME technology, you cut one pixel to 2 pixel, the DR is GOING to suffer. However, if you have gapless microlens, you cut one pixel to 2 pixel, the SNR is not going to be affected as your signal is still as strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.