Megapixel isn't everything


Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fcpga

Guest
seems like most people go 'crazy' over high megapixel camera, including myself, just brought a S40.

Sony F707, S40, G2, C4040 etc...

but do we really need 4 megapixel? I was told that if you are viewing on your monitor, the highest ultimate resolution you can get is 1280X1024 which any 2 megapixel could do the job.

even when printing, 2 megapixel can print 8R easily. I don't think those digital lab generate posters do they?

But manufacturer has been feeding us with lots of enlarged fonts like '6 MEGAPIXEL' '5 MEGAPIXEL'

whats your view??
 

Blitz

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
517
0
0
42
Singapore
www.blitzstorm.com
Wa u really rich ah, can buy a S40 after ur C2040Z :D

For me I think 2.1 is enuff. If wanna develop, 4R is the max I will go.

Like what I heard one of the poster here say b4 (forgotten who), ur eyes can't possibly see so many megapixels :)

Originally posted by fcpga
seems like most people go 'crazy' over high megapixel camera, including myself, just brought a S40.

Sony F707, S40, G2, C4040 etc...

but do we really need 4 megapixel? I was told that if you are viewing on your monitor, the highest ultimate resolution you can get is 1280X1024 which any 2 megapixel could do the job.

even when printing, 2 megapixel can print 8R easily. I don't think those digital lab generate posters do they?

But manufacturer has been feeding us with lots of enlarged fonts like '6 MEGAPIXEL' '5 MEGAPIXEL'

whats your view??
 

S

Sphoenix

Guest
Originally posted by Blitz

Like what I heard one of the poster here say b4 (forgotten who), ur eyes can't possibly see so many megapixels :)

care to elaborate...don't quite get what you mean.
 

kst

New Member
Mar 7, 2002
196
0
0
Visit site
Hi,

But I read so many reviews on higher megapixels
camera that they are able to capture more details
compare to lower megapixels camera.

kst.
 

roygoh

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
5,011
0
0
Northwest
Visit site
Originally posted by kst
Hi,

But I read so many reviews on higher megapixels
camera that they are able to capture more details
compare to lower megapixels camera.

kst.
You are right. However, like the subject of this thread says: "Megapixel isn't everything".

- Does the lens quality do justice to the CCD?
- Does the in-camera imafe processing produce the best possible colour?

Even if those criterias are met, can the printer and paper you ultimately print on reproduce the resolution that matches the CCD?
 

Goondu

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
1,292
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
Yes, I agree that megapixels isn't everything. However, I would prefer to have a bigger megapixels as I do have an option to reduce the size when necessary.

What say you guys?
 

roygoh

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
5,011
0
0
Northwest
Visit site
To add on to this type of discussion, this is how I would generalise all discussions of the nature "Is <some characteristics of the camera> everything?"

Photography is made up of many different components. The ultimate result, which is the quality of the picture taken, depends on the symphony of all the different compoents, how they complement or balance against each other, which is sometimes limited by the equipment, but greatly exposes the capability (or the lack of) of the photographer.

On the technical aspect, we ask questions like: Is the focus sharp? Is the exposure correct? Are the colours true to life? Is the shuttle speed and aperture used appropriate? Is the resolution high enough? Is the background gracefully thrown out of focus? etc...

On the artistic aspect, we ask questions like: Is the composition and angle good/interesting/unique? Does the picture convey a message/emotion/idea/story? Did it capture a precious moment in time?Does it demonstrate the creativity of the photographer? etc...

None of the above can be considered soley while the others are ignored when we appreciate a picture.

So when I come across simplistic questions (sorry, no offence to fcpga) like "is the number of megapixel everything?", "is getting close everything in macro photography?", "is the number of X zoom everything?" etc.... my answer is always "NO".

fcpga have a very valid point in his post, in my opinion.

I just feel that the answer is very obvious. Which ever characteristics you talk about, no single characteristic can be considered "everything" in photography. For that matter, any other form of art/activity.

- Is output power everything to amplifier design?
- Is horse power everything to a car?
- Is CPU speed everything to a computer?
....
....
 

Goondu

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
1,292
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
Sorry, this leads to me asking another question, which hopefully you guys can answer.

Supposedly, I have taken a digital phot (say, 2272 x 1704) that turns out to be a little bit soft. Without any post processing in any software, does resizing to 640 x 480 increases its sharpness?
 

roygoh

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
5,011
0
0
Northwest
Visit site
Originally posted by Goondu
Yes, I agree that megapixels isn't everything. However, I would prefer to have a bigger megapixels as I do have an option to reduce the size when necessary.

What say you guys?
That depends on how you balance that with the rest of the resources a camera can provide, which is not unlimited.

Do you value the convenience of higher megapixels over the following:

- higher cost of storage to keep the same numer of shots? I know the price is always dropping, but the relation remains contant.

- longer write time so you have to wait longer between shots?

- in the case the lens quality does not do justice to the CCD, you essentially get higher megapixels with less information.

Megapixels don't come free. It is a choice you have to make and justify for yourself.
 

roygoh

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
5,011
0
0
Northwest
Visit site
Originally posted by Goondu
Sorry, this leads to me asking another question, which hopefully you guys can answer.

Supposedly, I have taken a digital phot (say, 2272 x 1704) that turns out to be a little bit soft. Without any post processing in any software, does resizing to 640 x 480 increases its sharpness?
I believe it will appear to be sharper. Many time, pictures look sharp on the LCD, and look blurr when I look at them full size on the computer monitor.
 

S

Sphoenix

Guest
Lucid explanations roygoh. Like the way you used the word "symphony". :thumbsup:
 

franciskc

New Member
Jan 17, 2002
560
0
0
43
Earth
I still think the basic lighting and lens makes up a good pic.
 

TsQ

Senior Member
Jan 27, 2002
1,053
0
36
River Valley
Visit site
as for me, i get a higher resolution camera simply becos the move from 3mp->4mp is only $100ish. Like S30 and S40... the different is not really that much. Lower then S30, take a Ixus 300 is another $150ish cheaper.. some might feel paying $100 or 150 more for the extra 1mp is worth it *in case* they want to print big ass photos to hang on the wall :)
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,937
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
As long as the resolution is good enough for reasonably sized prints, it's no longer an important factor. I feel features are more important and that's why I ended up with my current camera which meets my budget.
 

roygoh

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
5,011
0
0
Northwest
Visit site
Originally posted by Sphoenix
Lucid explanations roygoh. Like the way you used the word "symphony". :thumbsup:
Hey hey.... thanks. I played in school bands from Primary school all the way through to university. Probably that's why I can only think of such a word to express my idea.
 

Ian

Senior Member
Feb 20, 2002
2,532
0
0
59
Perth Australia
Originally posted by fcpga
but do we really need 4 megapixel? I was told that if you are viewing on your monitor, the highest ultimate resolution you can get is 1280X1024 which any 2 megapixel could do the job.
Erm not quite, 1600x1200 is common place in the graphics industry as is 1900 x 1440 pixels and even higher in some cases such as 2048 x 2048 in the case of some workstations.

Originally posted by fcpga

even when printing, 2 megapixel can print 8R easily. I don't think those digital lab generate posters do they?
Erm, the lab I use can print digitally to a maximum (per single print) of 50m long by about 1.2m wide.

Originally posted by fcpga

But manufacturer has been feeding us with lots of enlarged fonts like '6 MEGAPIXEL' '5 MEGAPIXEL'

whats your view??
Well let's just say that consumer digital cameras have a long way to catch up with exisiting digital camera technology for professional applications where 6 megapixel in the case of the D1x is just the beginning.

Take for example one shot medium format camera backs, some of these backs have CCD's with 16 Megapixels and in scanning backs upwards of 120 Megapixel resolutions.

In the end however pixel resolution is just part of the package, access to high quality full sized interchangable camera optics is just as important as the pixel count as to capture the maximum detail requires good lenses to start with.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.