Status
Not open for further replies.

Stereobox

Dec 21, 2003
Cocteau Twins
don't you just love the Mega Mattress ad on TV ? :bsmilie:

Stereobox said:
don't you just love the Mega Mattress ad on TV ? :bsmilie:
Haha, it's so stupid I wished I could turn off the TV (when the whole familly is watching). :bsmilie:

mmm..i really meant it.

of course, not 'good' in the sense that it's a slick, well-polished and produced ad.

but 'good' in the sense it strikes a chord with Singaporeans. it's not pretentious nor pretend to be a 'high class' mattress brand.

Stereobox said:
mmm..i really meant it.

of course, not 'good' in the sense that it's a slick, well-polished and produced ad.

but 'good' in the sense it strikes a chord with Singaporeans. it's not pretentious nor pretend to be a 'high class' mattress brand.

Really? I hate to hell the bloody &!@$#@$ wife!..and what kind of "man" can stomach and is dumb enough to marry something like that? heheheh...everytime I see it I want to bitch slap the couple.

I am working in the ad industry and I think that is one of the worst ad and I suspect this was something the client must have thought it up and got the most cheapest dim witted agency to do it. There should be a warning clip prior to showing this ad each time it appears. I have come across clients like that in my freelance work. They feel they pay for the ad and thus they think because they are successful in business it means they are also succsesful creative directors. *roll eyes* When I was actively doing creative projects, I use to sack such clients. Rather eat white bread and water then to do something like that.

There is another ad which I hate and condone badly behaving brats. There was this steam boat restaurant which they used kids in their tv spots. And it features the brats dropping uncooked food into the steam boat and causing splashes. And just plain playing with the food in hot water. What messages are they trying to communicate beside selling steam boat?

scene 1

*kid playfully jumps onto parent's bed..

mum: aiyo.. mattress spoil still dont want to buy..

dad: still can use mah, why buy..

mum: you must know children already grow up, you only know how to take but never pay off..

etc.. etc.. etc..

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: no i did not write the script....

Hahaha their ads are a joke! Somemore use the same actor/actress for several different ads.

aiyo darling, where is your mattress?
There here lor....
Har? You call this mattress ah? :bsmilie:

sammy888 said:
I am working in the ad industry and I think that is one of the worst ad and I suspect this was something the client must have thought it up and got the most cheapest dim witted agency to do it. There should be a warning clip prior to showing this ad each time it appears. I have come across clients like that in my freelance work. They feel they pay for the ad and thus they think because they are successful in business it means they are also succsesful creative directors. *roll eyes* When I was actively doing creative projects, I use to sack such clients. Rather eat white bread and water then to do something like that.

There is another ad which I hate and condone badly behaving brats. There was this steam boat restaurant which they used kids in their tv spots. And it features the brats dropping uncooked food into the steam boat and causing splashes. And just plain playing with the food in hot water. What messages are they trying to communicate beside selling steam boat?

Nice to hear from a insider's perspective ;)

I was like "How much did those ppl budget for the advert?!?" when i first saw this advert. Clearly the actors are inexperienced, get those Star Idol wannabes also can get more emotive dialogue. And the script, OMG, must have been written within 5mins haha. Even those cheapskate-looking adverts during chan 8 and U offpeak periods have better production quality manz.

phelan said:
Nice to hear from a insider's perspective ;)

I was like "How much did those ppl budget for the advert?!?" when i first saw this advert. Clearly the actors are inexperienced, get those Star Idol wannabes also can get more emotive dialogue. And the script, OMG, must have been written within 5mins haha. Even those cheapskate-looking adverts during chan 8 and U offpeak periods have better production quality manz.

heh...I would not say I am speaking on behalf of the industry lah..but just a thot about what is good and bad. It is just the same with the photography industry. Some amateur or photographer willing to compromise standards and take on cheaper fees to do a job. I agree that we need to feed ourselves sometime and we need to compromise our work ethic and standards but there must be a limit. This also mean we fall prey to cheap unethical clients. Unfortunately the ad industry isa just the same, we have those who do a few years in an agency and then comes out to set up their own. And as they struggle to make a name for their new business, they are more then willing to do anything or charge anything to get the account. If I feel a creative point or lead given by a client is bad, I will do what I can to explain why it is bad but if after telling them, they feel insulted instead of being greatful for having help them avoid making a fool of themselve...then I guess I will throw in the towel and resign from the project. Once you start to compromise stuff too many times...everyone that comes to you after that will do the same. Unfortunately in SIngapore we have a lot of this kind clients who think they know better or want "cheap & good" or worst under table money.

For this really "teruk" ad series ...I suspect the actors are the owners or related to the owners of the funiture show. Like someone here just mentioned and I quote ..." 'good' in the sense it strikes a chord with Singaporeans". Well if that is so....as a Singaporean I felt insulted. The only chord it stike me is that it makes all husband look lame and henpeck unless they submit to their wives wimps! Ads like this can have a very negative reaction to sales too. I know agencies sometime create cheesy ads to sell using shock reaction to promote but I doubt really how effect this one would be if that was so.

I have no problem with it being a low production budget ad. The actors may be amaturish but I am more piss about the total disregard for the creative and message it is putting out.

i think next year there will be a new award for them during the ads awards.. The Worst Ads 2005...

I rather watch the Henry Thia karaoke system's ad. :bsmilie:

well althought their tv ad wasnt "classy" at all.. but they do succeeded in a way.. they got us talking bout it.. in the end, an advertisment is bout for viewers to recognise the products n branding, how "stylo"/well-produced only reflect the creativeness/capablity of the advertising film...

sammy888 said:
Really? I hate to hell the bloody &!@$#@$ wife!..and what kind of "man" can stomach and is dumb enough to marry something like that? heheheh...everytime I see it I want to bitch slap the couple.

agreed totally...hahhaahaa...i got these kinda of clients now and then..esp in China...

great, great! :) really good to read about what you guys really think about the ad.

for me, the usage of 'singlish' acting seems deliberate. it's quite obvious they are playing to the camera. this is what made me feel there's actually more behind the ad. ok..maybe i could be feeling the wrong thing ;p

Stereobox said:
great, great! :) really good to read about what you guys really think about the ad.

for me, the usage of 'singlish' acting seems deliberate. it's quite obvious they are playing to the camera. this is what made me feel there's actually more behind the ad. ok..maybe i could be feeling the wrong thing ;p
My wife and I laugh at the stupidity everytime we see the ad :bsmilie:

Do u know there is actually a first part to the ad? I think it was aired last year. The first ad was without the kid, but the couple was the same ...

I bought a single matt from them before. The Guy is the boss and the lady is his wife. I was served by the wife when i was there few years ago. Their price a bit more expensive compared to other shop.

Actually in Austrailia, many advertisements features the boss in it. It is quite popular, especially in small towns like Rockhampton.

the most important "job" of an Ad is so that ppl remember.... and it WORKS~!;)

Nisa said:
the most important "job" of an Ad is so that ppl remember.... and it WORKS~!;)
I guess u're half right :) ... But, it doesn't make me want to buy a mattress from their store.

Bernard Ong said:
I bought a single matt from them before. The Guy is the boss and the lady is his wife. I was served by the wife when i was there few years ago.
Ha ha, some how I guessed the couple must the bosses or employees, cos no one would pay to employ such actors, right? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.