Not open for further replies.

Juvelyn

Jun 8, 2002
Visit site
How do you get started with medium and large format
cameras?

They cost so much more [sure no one will lend you
theirs to play-play]

if you borrow or rent one, is it complicated to learn how to use?

It's not true that they cost a lot more. A decent Mamiya 645 system with lens probably cost less than the D60/D100/S2 Pro. Heck, I think you can even get a Mamiya 67 or 7 II.

The cheapest MF camera to start off with would be one of the Seagulls, which should be no more than $200. But you can't change lenses.

Large Format - dunno, but you should be able to get used for not a lot, unless it's those branded ones like Linhof, Horseman, Arcaswiss etc.

MF is not difficult to use, not a lot different from using an SLR. LF takes more work of coz as it has movements and you need a dark cloth to focus.

Regards
CK

yep, for cheap medium format you can use either seagull or a holga ( cheap plastic toy camera which you can get from kinokuniya) I think it's abt $15. Quite a crappy stuff though.
But seagull is good.

They are quite easy to use. except that most of the models does not have build in metering. Which means you need a light meter or just wack.

4x5 camera is abit different. The film have to be loaded in singlely, Definately more laborious and need a darkroom to load the film. Doesn't come with build in metering.
Yep, the darkcoth would be a plus. I will just use a jacket to cover the mountglass to see. But again i know there's 4x5 camera which are handheld. no need hassle of darkcloth. However the lens are fixed i guess. Well most high-end commercial standards medium format or large format cost approximately above $2500 ( cathy having discount now). If you just wanna have fun, then I suggest you to get a seagull first.

Riding on this thread...

I am interested to know more about medium and large format cameras but I have absolutely zilch, zero knowledge on them, except that i know they exist. How do you recommend that I find out more about them? Where would you suggest that I get the equipment? Like that seagull or the negatives or the processing.....

sorry.... dumdum talking here.......

Juvelyn said:
How do you get started with medium and large format
cameras?

They cost so much more [sure no one will lend you
theirs to play-play]

if you borrow or rent one, is it complicated to learn how to use?

I own a Horseman LX-C, if you have a budget of 3.8k you can start off with my package:
Lessons included! Interested, kindly sms me at 96943181-Danny

1) 14cm len panel drilled #01 (front)
2) 14cm len panel drilled #02 (rear)
3) Focusing Hood/magnifier 6x
4) Rodenstock Apo-N 150mm/5,6 copal len
5) Polariod holder 405
6) Sheet film holder-Lesco Mk ll (2pcs)
7) Roll film holder (6x7cm)
8) Horseman Len bellow Shade

nightwolf75 said:
did anyone notice dat this thread is 3yrs old.... :rolleyes:

hahahha no i didn't. :bsmilie:

i wonder where is Juvelyn now

Hello, Just bought a second hand shen hao to play with....BTW where in Singapore can develop 4X5 slide film?

Status
Not open for further replies.