Meditation Ground

Hi Manita.

Sorry haven't been able to give to too much feedback recently. Very busy recently.

This is a very nice piece of work. I like the layers of the scene here. from dark to brighter... and the picture looks very 3D to me with lots of depth. Well done.

One thing you can try doing is to push contrast a little more. But you need to push it with more fill light in the left shadow section... If you are using lightroom, I would push fill-light more, and at the same time, balance it back by also pushing blacks. This will give you more contrast, but also allow you to push up the lights in the darker areas. After that, I would push mid-high tones and highlights a little more.

But seriously, it is more personal preference. Another thing to note is when you are printing your pictures. This picture will print out quite a bit darker. So it helps to push it a little more when doing actual printing to photo paper.

Hope this helps you. Very well done!

Hello Uncle Albert, Thanks for the C&C and I understand that you are busy. Also with the baby.:)
I'm not using lightroom yet but only photoshop and Aperture. I understand you explanation and I have not try any printing of photos. I post in this critique thread is because I need to know and learn the contrast balance of the left and right with different comments.Explanation is well noted and definitely keep in mind if I need to print next time.
Thanks so much.:)

Last edited:
i think it should have a "like" button in here haha. i like this photo! really looks peaceful and quiet for meditation
Hi Qiang, Thanks for you C&C.:)

not a bad composition, maybe crop some of the left off?

i would not present it in bnw this way, something with more contrast would be my preference.

Hello Uncle Night86mare, Thanks.
Any idea how will you present it with more contrast and in color? Like and really want to learn.

Last edited:
Any idea how will you present it with more contrast and in color? Like and really want to learn.

not color, i won't comment that a bnw photo is in color, because i don't know what has been done.

maybe if you post the color photo, i can work on an alternate bnw output and post it up for discussion.

like i said before, there is no right answer. just personal preference. ;) that said, a bad black and white is obviously bad.

not color, i won't comment that a bnw photo is in color, because i don't know what has been done.

maybe if you post the color photo, i can work on an alternate bnw output and post it up for discussion.

like i said before, there is no right answer. just personal preference. ;) that said, a bad black and white is obviously bad.

Have sent you a PM on it :)

Have sent you a PM on it :)

You know what Manita, it will be interesting if you also let have a go at B&W conversion.

Would love to see how my conversion comes out compared to bro night86mare. different people will present it differently, will give you more ideas... though my B&W conversion is not very good... ;)

You know what Manita, it will be interesting if you also let have a go at B&W conversion.

Would love to see how my conversion comes out compared to bro night86mare. different people will present it differently, will give you more ideas... though my B&W conversion is not very good... ;)

Hello Uncle Albert,
Thanks and thats great! Different people have different creative ideas and will be very happy to learn from you and Uncle Night86mare.

Already PM you the link to my photo.

Thank you so much.:)

Hello Uncle Albert,
Thanks and thats great! Different people have different creative ideas and will be very happy to learn from you and Uncle Night86mare.

Already PM you the link to my photo.

Thank you so much.:)

Manita, for some weird reason, there seems to be a lot of mini white dots in the dark area on the left side of the frame. Is that due to noise and too much sharpening?

I encourage you to shoot in RAW mode. Much better to work with.

here's my take for bnw

meditationground.jpg

is it just me, or is it plain weird hearing nightmare being called unker:bsmilie:

ok i'll just nit pick a bit.

personally, i dun like the foggy feel of the image. seems like a lot of details are lost, especially with the trees on the right... i guess it is the haze. sky is also weird and possibly too cloudy, resulting in the image being very grayish, when u convert to BnW.

why not upload the colored version? it might be better:) just my take with regards to the image.

composition is fine. i can imagine if it was a really good sky, u can get very good colors with it. long exposure coupled with still water can even bring out the nice reflection.

Manita, for some weird reason, there seems to be a lot of mini white dots in the dark area on the left side of the frame. Is that due to noise and too much sharpening?

I encourage you to shoot in RAW mode. Much better to work with.

Hello Uncle Albert,
Sorry I send the wrong file again in Jpeg.
I have already send a camera raw file in CR2. Here is the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sply5t4k4avuybt
I shoot all in Raw mode. But my files are ok and no white dots.
Thanks.:)

here's my take for bnw

meditationground.jpg

Hello Uncle Night86mare, Thanks again for helping me out.
Is slightly more expose in the darker area and a brighter sky now. Contrast on the right side also seems better.
Just a thought: will this PP feel fit the title or theme? Will a more misty sort of feel would be better for a meditation place like this? Im a bit confuse also. But definitely this PP is a stronger feel to the place.
thanks so much for the PP and next time will ask again for your help.:)

I have also attach a raw file in CR2.

Last edited:
is it just me, or is it plain weird hearing nightmare being called unker:bsmilie:

ok i'll just nit pick a bit.

personally, i dun like the foggy feel of the image. seems like a lot of details are lost, especially with the trees on the right... i guess it is the haze. sky is also weird and possibly too cloudy, resulting in the image being very grayish, when u convert to BnW.

why not upload the colored version? it might be better:) just my take with regards to the image.

composition is fine. i can imagine if it was a really good sky, u can get very good colors with it. long exposure coupled with still water can even bring out the nice reflection.

Hello Allenleonhart,
Thanks. I call them uncle because they are all senior and they are older than me. That is why.:)
Yes, the sky was a bit hazy but is very bright and that is why you see the huge contrast on one side to the other side. Yes I thought of re do my PP and in color and see how it is. But will go back and shoot again when the weather is better.And also very near to my house.

Hello Uncle Albert,
Sorry I send the wrong file again in Jpeg.
I have already send a camera raw file in CR2. Here is the link:
I shoot all in Raw mode. But my files are ok and no white dots.
Thanks.:)

Manita, I think you set the permissions wrongly on the file. I cannot download, it says owner set to private.

Manita, I think you set the permissions wrongly on the file. I cannot download, it says owner set to private.

Oooppps, sorry sorry again..:embrass:
Corrected to public now.

And here is my take...

5164133242_83832ba891_b.jpg

Hello Uncle Albert, thanks so much...:)
I could see that you crop a little off from the left side and exposures are more obvious than Uncle Night86mare. So everyone have different ideas in processing for such composition.

I will learn from both uncles.:)

Hello Uncle Albert, thanks so much...:)
I could see that you crop a little off from the left side and exposures are more obvious than Uncle Night86mare. So everyone have different ideas in processing for such composition.

I will learn from both uncles.:)

I opted for stronger blacks, but still pushing fill to balance it. Key is for me is to get the pavilion stand out a lot more, making it the POI (point of interest).

I opted for stronger blacks, but still pushing fill to balance it. Key is for me is to get the pavilion stand out a lot more, making it the POI (point of interest).

Hello Uncle Albert, thanks for telling me your idea. I learn something now - Point of Interest.
I have also just read something on geometry composition. More or less understand what it is.
So for your PP, may I say that this is what you call framing element that is the pavillion as the main subject and that the main subject is interesting compare to the whole surrounding in the picture. Hope I say correctly after what i've read.:)

Thanks