Medal For Lieutenant (2LT) Kamalasivam S/O Shanmuganatha

That is good.

I have trained numerous soldiers in live grenade throwing.

The trick is to relax them. Grenades if handled properly, are quite safe.

SINGAPORE: Two Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) full-time National Servicemen (NSFs) were injured on Friday while participating in a live hand grenade training at Pulau Tekong.

The incident took place at 10.45am, and involved Safety Officer Second Lieutenant (2LT) Kamalasivam S/O Shanmuganathan and Recruit (REC) Abdul Hamid Bin Abdul Smad.

The practice throw earlier the same morning had proceeded without incident.

But during the actual throw, recruit Abdul Hamid accidentally released the hand grenade lever while pulling out the safety pin.

Second Lieutenant Kamalasivam immediately instructed recruit Abdul Hamid to throw the grenade towards the designated impact area.

He then pulled Recruit Abdul Hamid down to take cover in the grenade throwing bay and shielded him.

The grenade detonated in mid-air away from the bay.

Recruit Abdul Hamid sustained an injury to a finger on his right hand while Second Lieutenant Kamalasivam was injured on his left shoulder.

Both servicemen were treated on site and subsequently sent to Changi General Hospital (CGH) at 11.45am.

Both are stable and conscious, and currently under observation in the general ward in CGH.

Live hand grenade training has been suspended until investigations are completed.

- CNA/de

Two full-time NSFs injured in grenade training at Pulau Tekong - Channel NewsAsia

dayum ! that takes alot of guts and quick thinking ! Kudos to 2LT Kamalasivam !!

dayum ! that takes alot of guts and quick thinking ! Kudos to 2LT Kamalasivam !!
KNS i just threw my grenade like... WEDNESDAY :eek:

purple hearts for him :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Every now and then, you will have blur king in your platoon. either they are simply slow or they act blur. Of course with live grenade, it is unlikely for him to act blur. I would suggest the army consider single out such blur king to conduct extra dummy throws till they are perfect before any live throw. don't just follow the program and make everyone do the same when you have these special people.

Excellent action from 2LT Kamal. However, I wonder if it had been better for him (2LT Kamal) to throw the grenade out of the bunker, rather than instruct the recruit to throw the grenade again. If the recruit had gabra'd a second time, both of them would be dead. In China, once the recruit messed up the grenade throw, the supervising officer will take immediate action to pull the recruit to safety, rather than instruct the recruit to pick up the grenade and throw it again.

Excellent action from 2LT Kamal. However, I wonder if it had been better for him (2LT Kamal) to throw the grenade out of the bunker, rather than instruct the recruit to throw the grenade again. If the recruit had gabra'd a second time, both of them would be dead. In China, once the recruit messed up the grenade throw, the supervising officer will take immediate action to pull the recruit to safety, rather than instruct the recruit to pick up the grenade and throw it again.

well he can toss it out, rather than throw, then pull him to hide behind the wall.

or drop it, kick into the small bunker below, and jump into the secondary hiding spot.

but i guess once you in that position, just throw lawl... too kanjiong to think

great work. every now and then we are reminded that indeed we have brave and capable soldiers. rather than the dullards frequently seen commanding without leading.

ex air farce cat.

I read that the recruit pull the pin & release the level. He must still be holding to the potato so it's wont be safe to either ask him to pass over or grab it from his hand. The potato might drop in the process, best is still to throw it out and prone behind the wall. Just follow the rehearsed SOP is a safer bet then doing something different during SNAFU

[video=youtube;wDpuNrA55-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDpuNrA55-A[/video]

[video=youtube;uKy82LOH9n0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKy82LOH9n0[/video]

[video=youtube;E8whiGlcAaA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8whiGlcAaA[/video]

[video=youtube;4bxYnD3XJPE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bxYnD3XJPE[/video]

Well done to the officer! His quick thinking and courage had save both him and his recruit's life :thumbsup:

SAF should use an iPhone app to detonate grenades.

what's a coin? unheard of.

yes, someone still need to throw it firs t.