Meaning of "1 week personal warranty" ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinpump

Jul 29, 2008
Toa Payoh
360.yahoo.com
Hi folks,

Can someone tell me what the meaning of "1 week personal warranty" is? Is it considered the same as warranty from the manufacturer when anything wrong just bring back to them? Or this term only help you to feel good in faith and means nothing???

Thank you bros...

just to give you an assurance that the item you bought is in good working condition... (at least for a week) :bsmilie:

Can someone tell me what the meaning of "1 week personal warranty" is? Is it considered the same as warranty from the manufacturer when anything wrong just bring back to them? Or this term only help you to feel good in faith and means nothing??? ...

It all depends on the context of the term ....

I guess if you are referring to the Clubsnap B&S section, then it is quite an open interpretation and it can also depend on the individual seller.

It definately does not work like the manufacturer warranty because after all the seller cannot do any repairs or give you a one to one exchange.

I always take it that the term means if the item bought becomes mechanically or technically faulty within a one week period, the buyer can take it back to the seller for clarification or a refund of the sale. The item of course should not have been misused or abused. And I think this "personal warranty" also would not cover the buyers' change of mind if he/she finds that the item does not suit his needs ...

Just my views .... :)

Thanks for your replies

It all depends on the context of the term ....
I always take it that the term means if the item bought becomes mechanically or technically faulty within a one week period, the buyer can take it back to the seller for clarification or a refund of the sale. The item of course should not have been misused or abused. And I think this "personal warranty" also would not cover the buyers' change of mind if he/she finds that the item does not suit his needs ...

Just my views .... :)

I also take it like you.
So basically, the buyer has right to return the item to seller, or alternatively, can also ask for a repair which would be bear by the seller if it has any mechanically or technically defect within 1 week rite?

But lets say if the seller dun want to take action. So how? What should the buyer do?

So basically, the buyer has right to return the item to seller, or alternatively, can also ask for a repair which would be bear by the seller if it has any mechanically or technically defect within 1 week rite?

But lets say if the seller dun want to take action. So how? What should the buyer do?

Return the item to the seller - YES
Ask for a repair that would be bourne by the seller - MAYBE ... but most likely will not happen ...

If the seller does not take action, then just your luck that you have met with a "not-so-good" seller ... And with the current B&S format there is no way (which I know) that you can highlight this issue or to warn other potential buyers ....

I would suggest returning the item and ask for a refund ... if possible at all.

Ask for a repair that would be bourne by the seller - MAYBE ... but most likely will not happen ...
The buyer is trying to do so. But not get the green light from the seller yet

If the seller does not take action, then just your luck that you have met with a "not-so-good" seller ... And with the current B&S format there is no way (which I know) that you can highlight this issue or to warn other potential buyers ....

wont be able to judge the seller so soon cos still negotiating. Maybe the seller not replied yet cos going out today or still hesitating.

The purpose of this thread is to confirm my understanding about the validity of the term "1 week personal warranty" and not highlight anything yet. Its also fault of buyer for not checking carefully and to be trustful ppl

Last edited:
Then wouldn't a "one week return/refund" be a better phrase to use?

Personally, I wouldn't expect much from a "one week personal warranty". Perhaps it means the seller would answer your calls/emails for that week? :dunno:

simply put, u r safe within that one week. after that, u r on your own!

I would suggest that you clarify with the seller to be sure. As always, when buying anything in B&S, it's caveat emptor :)

yep. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

in all practicalities, i always find people giving or asking for '1 wk personal warranty' is unnecessary. as a seller, how are you going to guarantee the buyer does NOT damage the item and then try to claim 1 wk warranty from you (assuming of course you sold a working product). u are then left hanging becos your item is now unsellable. and vice versa.

yep. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

in all practicalities, i always find people giving or asking for '1 wk personal warranty' is unnecessary. as a seller, how are you going to guarantee the buyer does NOT damage the item and then try to claim 1 wk warranty from you (assuming of course you sold a working product). u are then left hanging becos your item is now unsellable. and vice versa.

Agree on that.
For personal warranty, I would think it's best that the buyer and seller could have a written agreeable on the terms of the warranty given.

Below would be some points to note. (Maybe some bros can add on)

1. Have a photos of the physical condition of the item
2. Buyer to sign that the item was working (eg, AF Motor for lens)

I personally find that the photos of the condition would be great, since if the buyer had drop the item and damage any parts of it, (eg, AF motor), i'm sure there would be certrain damage done to the external for it to be spoilt.

Lastly, with all this warranty, the buyer SHOULD take his own time,and slowly inspect the item on the spot of purchasing. That will do good for the buyer / seller.

Just my 2 cents. =x

Agree on that.
For personal warranty, I would think it's best that the buyer and seller could have a written agreeable on the terms of the warranty given.

Below would be some points to note. (Maybe some bros can add on)

1. Have a photos of the physical condition of the item
2. Buyer to sign that the item was working (eg, AF Motor for lens)

I personally find that the photos of the condition would be great, since if the buyer had drop the item and damage any parts of it, (eg, AF motor), i'm sure there would be certrain damage done to the external for it to be spoilt.

Lastly, with all this warranty, the buyer SHOULD take his own time,and slowly inspect the item on the spot of purchasing. That will do good for the buyer / seller.

Just my 2 cents. =x

Still got no response from the seller. Would give him more time until Tue as the 1 week warranty is over on Wed.

Firstly, I already checked the item physically and every physical things were fine.

Secondly, the defect is not outside where you can detect it on the spot right away. It was on the sensor. And it is not dust that you can use the blower to do a bj easily but hot/dead/stuck pixels. You have to take photo of dark objects or night time in order to see those hot/dead/stuck pixels which could not be done while I viewing the cam in daylight.

Thirdly, i'm new in photography hence this is the first time heard about this issue, so I was not knowledgeable enough to ask the seller to check for dead pixel beforehand.

The day before yesterday, I sms the seller to let him know that I found a dead pixel on the sensor and asked whether he can help anything on this. He answered me that he dun think Nikon will do anything for just 1 dead pixel. So I was fine with this reply, cos I thot i can live with it. But yesterday, I took photo with slow shutter speed and small F (~2-3), I found 4 more, very obvious, you look at the pix and can see already. My fz advice me to check again using software. You know wat, I saw a sky full of stars. There were 20 dead pixels in red, blue, white,... omg, like a rainbow.

Then I sms and told him nicely about that and suggested he take it back and use it as his back up cam. He refused and claim that he checked his pix and didnt see anything wrong. I sent him the photo I took and result of the software for him to see but have not received reply until now.

The point is, if I didnt have his words for the 1 week warranty, I would not complaint anything cos it is the risk of purchasing 2nd thing. But once I already had it and put my trust on him, I want to claim for my right...

errr.... hot pixels is NORMAL, especially for certain older generation models. Some brands can map them out automatically. Other models/brands SURE have hot pixels.

my idea of 1 week personal warranty, is within one week, if there is a FAULT with the camera, buyer can return and ask for refund. BTW, I don't consider hot pixels as a fault.

PS: I am not seller nor know how the seller is :)

Still got no response from the seller. Would give him more time until Tue as the 1 week warranty is over on Wed.

Firstly, I already checked the item physically and every physical things were fine.

Secondly, the defect is not outside where you can detect it on the spot right away. It was on the sensor. And it is not dust that you can use the blower to do a bj easily but hot/dead/stuck pixels. You have to take photo of dark objects or night time in order to see those hot/dead/stuck pixels which could not be done while I viewing the cam in daylight.

Thirdly, i'm new in photography hence this is the first time heard about this issue, so I was not knowledgeable enough to ask the seller to check for dead pixel beforehand.

The day before yesterday, I sms the seller to let him know that I found a dead pixel on the sensor and asked whether he can help anything on this. He answered me that he dun think Nikon will do anything for just 1 dead pixel. So I was fine with this reply, cos I thot i can live with it. But yesterday, I took photo with slow shutter speed and small F (~2-3), I found 4 more, very obvious, you look at the pix and can see already. My fz advice me to check again using software. You know wat, I saw a sky full of stars. There were 20 dead pixels in red, blue, white,... omg, like a rainbow.

Then I sms and told him nicely about that and suggested he take it back and use it as his back up cam. He refused and claim that he checked his pix and didnt see anything wrong. I sent him the photo I took and result of the software for him to see but have not received reply until now.

The point is, if I didnt have his words for the 1 week warranty, I would not complaint anything cos it is the risk of purchasing 2nd thing. But once I already had it and put my trust on him, I want to claim for my right...

Seriously, I never believe in such warranty.

They can say all they want. But its your words vs his. If you did not check, then you gotta just pay for your mistakes. I found out some dust on my d40 kit lens some time after I bought it 2nd hand. Who do I blame? The seller for being not honest? Or just me being too noob to fail in checking?

Hi folks,

Can someone tell me what the meaning of "1 week personal warranty" is? Is it considered the same as warranty from the manufacturer when anything wrong just bring back to them? Or this term only help you to feel good in faith and means nothing???

Thank you bros...

Is there such cases as personal warranty and what is hte person si gone.

Seriously, I never believe in such warranty.

They can say all they want. But its your words vs his. If you did not check, then you gotta just pay for your mistakes. I found out some dust on my d40 kit lens some time after I bought it 2nd hand. Who do I blame? The seller for being not honest? Or just me being too noob to fail in checking?

which lens got no dust one...can always open the aperture hole to see whether got dust a not.
although cant see much but at least can roughly gauge.

i valued my reputation in this forum, so i don't mind giving back a full refund but on the condition that there was no physical damage on my item.
of course after 1 week, really is on your own already.
i got a buyer tell me my item spoiled after 1.5 months...to be honest what he expect me to do...worse thing is that lens is my primary workhorse for 7 months so i really have no idea to as why the contact points on the lens can be damaged so easily after just 1 month plus of usage.
besides, i only use during the weekends...weekdays hardly any use at all except some rare indoor shots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.